BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
zenderm3's Avatar
Australia
33
Rep
1,961
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Question Battle of the Clear Bras

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've seen a lot of threads as far as Clear Bras are concerned. I noted that there is widespread views on 3M versus Ventureshield (others).

Not knowing what is available in Australia - I assume we'll be able to get the same stuff as what is available in the states...

What is the best Clear Bra (brand) based on:
- Price
- Warranty
- (Most important) Quality
- (2nd most important) longevity

If anybody knows of installers in Oz... that would be awesome.

Cheers!
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
9
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

FYI, premier mobile group, one of the finest clear bra installers, here in california uses venture shield, what they do best is their custom work. But i've read on other posts, this is all read, i'm not a pro on this topic, but 3M might not make their own, but they just slap on their brand.

I would do a search and read through posts and not just only on this board, but on major car boards such as bimmerfest.com, or other brands, such as porsche boards.

Hope this helps a tiny bit, sorry, I did a lot of research and felt that i wanted to find people who would do a good job, and by chance they use ventureshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
bills742
Second Lieutenant
bills742's Avatar
7
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (2)

From what I've read, climate plays a major factor in the product you should use. I've been told that ventureshield is not good in areas where the temperature changes drastically from winter to summer. For Californians, venture works well b/c there usually aren't any extremes in temperature. I believe 3M is the only film with a true clear coat which allows you to treat it as you would the rest of the paint and is more resistant to environmental pollutants (bird crap, tree sap, etc.). 3M doesn't come in a size large enough to cover the entire hood but it can cover the entire front fenders. Venture can cover the whole hood. Venture offers a lifetime warranty while 3M has a 5 year warranty (but both don't warranty damage to the clear bra caused by rocks). Venture is more pliable and thus easier to apply than 3M. This is what I've heard about these 2 products, anyone with more experience, please chime in.
__________________
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Venture apparently has less orange peel, and has life-time warranty (3M has 5 yrs I think?). I had both on my car and cannot really find a huge difference between the two.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
zenderm3's Avatar
Australia
33
Rep
1,961
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Thanks gents. Seems like Venture is a little better than 3M - I'll find out what we can get here. Brisbane is similar to Californian weather... so that is good news.. I think that I would like to do the whole hood - thoughts anyone?
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
9
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Thanks gents. Seems like Venture is a little better than 3M - I'll find out what we can get here. Brisbane is similar to Californian weather... so that is good news.. I think that I would like to do the whole hood - thoughts anyone?
I just had my car done with ventureshield this past weekend. This is what I covered...

- full front bumper (except the hard curve where it's not possible to cover)
- full hood
- side view mirror covers
- front fenders
- side skirts
- a-pillars
- full roof (minus shark fin and moonroof)
- top of the trunk (minus spoiler)
- full rear bumper (minus cutouts of PDC)

And the car looks pretty good. Let me know if you want me to take pictures of any parts. I know that installing these clear bras with a custom application is all about the installer and how good they are.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
zenderm3's Avatar
Australia
33
Rep
1,961
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

albert that would be great if you could post some pictures. Thanks mate!
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
9
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
albert that would be great if you could post some pictures. Thanks mate!
Any Specific Ones you were looking at? If i take pictures of the car from normal pics, you will probably not notice the clear bra...just seeing if you have any request for certain sections, like the ones they could not actually cover or the bends?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
TLud
Colonel
TLud's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,280
Posts

 
Drives: '12 Golf R
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
From what I've read, climate plays a major factor in the product you should use. I've been told that ventureshield is not good in areas where the temperature changes drastically from winter to summer. For Californians, venture works well b/c there usually aren't any extremes in temperature. I believe 3M is the only film with a true clear coat which allows you to treat it as you would the rest of the paint and is more resistant to environmental pollutants (bird crap, tree sap, etc.). 3M doesn't come in a size large enough to cover the entire hood but it can cover the entire front fenders. Venture can cover the whole hood. Venture offers a lifetime warranty while 3M has a 5 year warranty (but both don't warranty damage to the clear bra caused by rocks). Venture is more pliable and thus easier to apply than 3M. This is what I've heard about these 2 products, anyone with more experience, please chime in.
ClearShield also has a clear coat layer, which has been really nice because I can't always wash all the bugs off immediately after a weekend trip.

Whichever film you go with, make sure the installer wraps all of the leading edges, which is where chips are most likely to occur.
__________________
'09 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 (sold to a good home)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
bills742
Second Lieutenant
bills742's Avatar
7
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
ClearShield also has a clear coat layer, which has been really nice because I can't always wash all the bugs off immediately after a weekend trip.

Whichever film you go with, make sure the installer wraps all of the leading edges, which is where chips are most likely to occur.
You're right, forgot about that one.
__________________
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
badfish
Major
badfish's Avatar
35
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I installed both Ventureshield and 3M on the same car by myself. Ventureshield has the clearcoat, 3M does not. 3M is easier to cut. But it has more orange peel and has yellowed. Ventureshield was tough to cut, but easy to stretch and made wrapping easier. Doesn't really yellow.

Overall, 3M is an easier install because it's easier to cut. Ventureshield is a better product IMO, harder to cut because the film bunches up if you don't have the right knife angle on it. It's shinier and easier to clean and seems to take the heat gun better.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #12
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
zenderm3's Avatar
Australia
33
Rep
1,961
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
Any Specific Ones you were looking at? If i take pictures of the car from normal pics, you will probably not notice the clear bra...just seeing if you have any request for certain sections, like the ones they could not actually cover or the bends?
Albert - Can you take photos of some of the edges as well as the hood And maybe side skirts?

Out of curiosity... how much did it all set you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
ClearShield also has a clear coat layer, which has been really nice because I can't always wash all the bugs off immediately after a weekend trip.

Whichever film you go with, make sure the installer wraps all of the leading edges, which is where chips are most likely to occur.
I've heard of the bugs staining the clear bra - is there a particular time frame that you need to wash after bird crap etc on the clear bra?

Cheers guys.
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
9
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Albert - Can you take photos of some of the edges as well as the hood And maybe side skirts?

Out of curiosity... how much did it all set you back?
I'll load some up on this thread sometime this week on this post.

Price, I PMed you.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 09:59 AM   #14
htp autoworks
Private
0
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: A fast one...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fort Worth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I installed both Ventureshield and 3M on the same car by myself. Ventureshield has the clearcoat, 3M does not. 3M is easier to cut. But it has more orange peel and has yellowed. Ventureshield was tough to cut, but easy to stretch and made wrapping easier. Doesn't really yellow.

Overall, 3M is an easier install because it's easier to cut. Ventureshield is a better product IMO, harder to cut because the film bunches up if you don't have the right knife angle on it. It's shinier and easier to clean and seems to take the heat gun better.
I have to chime in here since I am a installer and hav worked with both of the above films. 3M has an acrylic clear coat.... making it more difficult to install because you can overstretch it and crack the acrylic. ventureShield is owned by 3M but is its own line of film. It has two products, VentureShield Ultra (which has a topcoat) and the normal Ventureshield. 3M and VentureShield are not difficult to install... I prefer VentureShield Ultra because it is more pliable and easier to stretch. It also does not have any orange peel to it where 3M does.

I think ClearMask AR is really the film to use though. Has no orange peel, better adhesive than VentureShield (but not difficult to remove like 3M), more durable than VentureShield, and has a lifetime warranty. It is actually 3M aerospace grade film. Thats what I do 90% of my installs with. The only time I dont use it is when I am doing full panel wraps and I cant get any ClearMask in 58" widths... so I resort to VS Ultra.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #15
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
zenderm3's Avatar
Australia
33
Rep
1,961
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
I have to chime in here since I am a installer and hav worked with both of the above films. 3M has an acrylic clear coat.... making it more difficult to install because you can overstretch it and crack the acrylic. ventureShield is owned by 3M but is its own line of film. It has two products, VentureShield Ultra (which has a topcoat) and the normal Ventureshield. 3M and VentureShield are not difficult to install... I prefer VentureShield Ultra because it is more pliable and easier to stretch. It also does not have any orange peel to it where 3M does.

I think ClearMask AR is really the film to use though. Has no orange peel, better adhesive than VentureShield (but not difficult to remove like 3M), more durable than VentureShield, and has a lifetime warranty. It is actually 3M aerospace grade film. Thats what I do 90% of my installs with. The only time I dont use it is when I am doing full panel wraps and I cant get any ClearMask in 58" widths... so I resort to VS Ultra.
Thanks htp.... PM Sent. Is ClearMask large enough to do a full hood? What would your recommendation be for clear-braing.... ? (full hood, bumper, side skirts?)
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST