BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
 
FlyFish's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

100 octane fuel vs additives

Quick question; the great, green state of Washington doesn't have stations that sell anything higher than 91 octane. I have read on the forum that if you mix 100 octane with a half tank of 91, the result is a significant increase in horse power. So, what if I used the octane boosts that are sold in the automotive stores? Work the same? Or would I be adding horrible engine wrecking crap into my car???

HELP!
__________________
Love this car...
FlyFish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

that stuff (octane boost) is crap
__________________
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Quick question; the great, green state of Washington doesn't have stations that sell anything higher than 91 octane. I have read on the forum that if you mix 100 octane with a half tank of 91, the result is a significant increase in horse power. So, what if I used the octane boosts that are sold in the automotive stores? Work the same? Or would I be adding horrible engine wrecking crap into my car???

HELP!
Bottled 'Octane Boosters' are a scam...
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
john@wickedparts
 
Drives: Going round and round
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Van Nuys, CA

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Try toluene. 114 octane rating I believe.
john@wickedparts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
 
FlyFish's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@wickedparts View Post
Try toluene. 114 octane rating I believe.
Have you used this before? what about the other replies implying "I should just flush ten bucks down a toilet instead..."
__________________
Love this car...
FlyFish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
john@wickedparts
 
Drives: Going round and round
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Van Nuys, CA

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

yes used it quite a bit on my B5 S4 when buying toluene was cheap at Sherwin Williams and Vista Paint. I think it was as low as $6 a gallon. I would mix 2 gallons with 12 gallons of 91 to get me around 94 octane. Problem is the price went way up when the gas prices increased but never came back down. Its possible to run near straight up toluene but make sure to add a tad bit of motor oil.

Its an expensive habit, I don't suggest you get into it unless you like to burn through cash.

If you want to buy high octane I also suggest buying one of those 5 gallon drums of VP instead of the pump. I suspect what's sold at the pump doesn't sell well and could be quite old.
john@wickedparts is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
AMOCHOSTO
Major
 
AMOCHOSTO's Avatar
 
Drives: IB BB E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto.

Posts: 1,007
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@wickedparts View Post
yes used it quite a bit on my B5 S4 when buying toluene was cheap at Sherwin Williams and Vista Paint. I think it was as low as $6 a gallon. I would mix 2 gallons with 12 gallons of 91 to get me around 94 octane. Problem is the price went way up when the gas prices increased but never came back down. Its possible to run near straight up toluene but make sure to add a tad bit of motor oil.

Its an expensive habit, I don't suggest you get into it unless you like to burn through cash.

If you want to buy high octane I also suggest buying one of those 5 gallon drums of VP instead of the pump. I suspect what's sold at the pump doesn't sell well and could be quite old.
What is VP?
__________________
E90 Interlagos Blue, (Winter Beater) Bamboo Beige, M-Drive, EDC, PDC, USB 6MT.
Mods to date; Curb rash, Scraped front spoiler, Installed RAC Monolite RG63 Silver
1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe (ROW)

AMOCHOSTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
What is VP?
The name of a company that makes racing fuel...
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
monk
Second Lieutenant
 
monk's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 249
iTrader: (1)

100 octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Quick question; the great, green state of Washington doesn't have stations that sell anything higher than 91 octane. I have read on the forum that if you mix 100 octane with a half tank of 91, the result is a significant increase in horse power. So, what if I used the octane boosts that are sold in the automotive stores? Work the same? Or would I be adding horrible engine wrecking crap into my car???

HELP!
Fill your tank with 91 octane and add in 1 teaspoon of salt will increase about 20hp.
monk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
 
drivendriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E83 X3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA

Posts: 269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
Fill your tank with 91 octane and add in 1 teaspoon of salt will increase about 20hp.
Salt without Tequila is useless. Now, add a bottle of Tequila and feel the power!!!
drivendriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
 
FlyFish's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivendriver View Post
Salt without Tequila is useless. Now, add a bottle of Tequila and feel the power!!!
Sweet! Thanks guys for the great advise--I stuffed four banana's in the tail pipes to give it some extra torque too. What if I pee'd in the gas tank??? I wonder if that would help??? Maybe I'll take a shit in it too!!! It will be SMOKIN fast then!!!!
__________________
Love this car...
FlyFish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Sweet! Thanks guys for the great advise--I stuffed four banana's in the tail pipes to give it some extra torque too. What if I pee'd in the gas tank??? I wonder if that would help??? Maybe I'll take a shit in it too!!! It will be SMOKIN fast then!!!!
i peed in my wrangler's tank before and the result was not great. but that was an american engine, and we're talking precision german engineering here. let us know how that goes and post your results on PG's thread please.
__________________
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #13
davedave
Captain
 
davedave's Avatar
 
Drives: Godzilla
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere

Posts: 790
iTrader: (7)

sugar will +100 hp ... lol
davedave is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
henryyxyu
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 M3, F22 228i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

i like to add unspeakable illegal drugs these additives courtesy of the shady man who roams in the dark alleys of LA help add over 9000 ponies to the car. bigger bang for buck mod than anything out there like nos
henryyxyu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
M3business
Registered
 
Drives: 3 series
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

The name of the company is VP Racing Fuels
www.vpracingfuels.com
M3business is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST