BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

R4-S High Performance Street and Autocross Brake pads for your E9X M3

high performance and heavy-duty street conditions. Perfect for prolonged everyday street use while also being capable of tolerating the most severe street use without any fade. Rotor friendly of course. The R4-S friction level will give you an impressive increase in stopping ability with very minimum pedal effort. R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels, far below OEM equipment or any other high performance brake material. Good for autocrossing, some drivers schools, solo events, and rally’s. The R4-S compound is available for virtually any vehicle sold in the US. We also offer the R4-S in pad sizes for competition type calipers that are used under street driven conditions.

***If there is enough interest, we can put together a GB for a more aggressive brake pad set suitable for HPDE and time trial***


F(918):

$149.95

R(919):

$99.95

GB here:


http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=1#post3428126
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      10-14-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Bump this thread!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      10-14-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,666
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
are these Porterfield RS4 pads? Are the prices each wheel or each end?
consolidated is offline  
0
      10-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
are these Porterfield RS4 pads? Are the prices each wheel or each end?
Per axle set!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      10-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Blip Bavarian
salivator
 
Blip Bavarian's Avatar
 
Drives: 991 C2S & E30 LS1
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: El Paso, Texas

Posts: 523
iTrader: (0)

do they squeel like the OEM pads?
Blip Bavarian is offline   United_States
0
      10-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
do they squeel like the OEM pads?
They shouldn't. I have driven many E9X M3's, but haven't heard any noise from the brakes.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      10-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Bump!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      10-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

These will be perfect for you weekend HPDE guys!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      10-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #9
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 927
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
These will be perfect for you weekend HPDE guys!
You said it yourself, they're street pads. They're not suitable for HPDE use.
JAJ is offline  
0
      10-29-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
You said it yourself, they're street pads. They're not suitable for HPDE use.
They are fine for some HPDE events and will perform better than the oem pads.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      12-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
clubspec330i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Just want to give some feeds back on R4-S.

I ordered this pad from HP about a week or so before HPDE @ Street of Willow on Dec 6. The pad went in just 2 days before the event. I did a pad break-in according to Dave Z.'s recommendation; 60->10mph stop of 8 iterations and a cool down run.

On the track, it didn't perform as I thought it would. The initial grip was not there. However, as the day progress and the temperature warmed up, the paddle feel and initial bite in got better. There was no noise no fuzz no fade on a hard day use @ SOW. Mind you, this is not meant for competition but merely more so of an upgrade street pad. Had I gone 30+min. session, the outcome might be different.

Just for a comparison sake, I went to the track with stock brake two weeks prior. Stock OEM, while seem to bite better, maybe due to larger surface area from several months of usage, but it seems to fade a tad at the end of 25 min session.

If one were to do a 15-20min session, stock OEM pad is more than plenty. However, if you need to upgrade your pad, this is it.

As far as customer service is concern, HP Autowerks is my sole supplier right now.. Thanks Harold.
clubspec330i is offline  
0
      12-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #12
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubspec330i View Post
Just want to give some feeds back on R4-S.

I ordered this pad from HP about a week or so before HPDE @ Street of Willow on Dec 6. The pad went in just 2 days before the event. I did a pad break-in according to Dave Z.'s recommendation; 60->10mph stop of 8 iterations and a cool down run.

On the track, it didn't perform as I thought it would. The initial grip was not there. However, as the day progress and the temperature warmed up, the paddle feel and initial bite in got better. There was no noise no fuzz no fade on a hard day use @ SOW. Mind you, this is not meant for competition but merely more so of an upgrade street pad. Had I gone 30+min. session, the outcome might be different.

Just for a comparison sake, I went to the track with stock brake two weeks prior. Stock OEM, while seem to bite better, maybe due to larger surface area from several months of usage, but it seems to fade a tad at the end of 25 min session.

If one were to do a 15-20min session, stock OEM pad is more than plenty. However, if you need to upgrade your pad, this is it.

As far as customer service is concern, HP Autowerks is my sole supplier right now.. Thanks Harold.
Sometimes new brake pads will require a bit more bedding in to work properly.

Performance pads will have more brake torque as temperature increases until their designed operating temperature.

I am glad you like how these pads perform on the track.

How is it for brake dust for street use?
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      12-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #13
clubspec330i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Another track update..

Brake dust..much better than OEM.

I went out to SOW again on December 13 with Speedventures. The weather was not so pleasant though, it was in a high 50s low 60s all day long. After the 1st warm up lap, the brake perform beautifully. However, the tire didn't warm up until 3 lap or so.

I check the car when I got home that evening, brake residual on the wheel look normal, no sign of accessive brake usage at all.
clubspec330i is offline  
0
      12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubspec330i View Post
Another track update..

Brake dust..much better than OEM.

I went out to SOW again on December 13 with Speedventures. The weather was not so pleasant though, it was in a high 50s low 60s all day long. After the 1st warm up lap, the brake perform beautifully. However, the tire didn't warm up until 3 lap or so.

I check the car when I got home that evening, brake residual on the wheel look normal, no sign of accessive brake usage at all.
Good to hear!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      04-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #15
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubspec330i View Post
Another track update..

Brake dust..much better than OEM.

I went out to SOW again on December 13 with Speedventures. The weather was not so pleasant though, it was in a high 50s low 60s all day long. After the 1st warm up lap, the brake perform beautifully. However, the tire didn't warm up until 3 lap or so.

I check the car when I got home that evening, brake residual on the wheel look normal, no sign of accessive brake usage at all.

Any more feedbacks on this pad?
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      08-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Bump!
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      08-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
rockd
 
rockd's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Z4 35i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 543
iTrader: (11)

My experience with Porterfield R4-S pads (on a B5 Audi S4 with the 6-piston Porsche Cayenne BBK upgrade):

The pads have very little dust and very little noise, which is a big plus. However, they have pretty much no bite at all when cold. Especially during the winter, they just wouldn't bite hard unless you REALLY heated up the brakes. After heavy braking for at least 10 minutes, they performed well enough... but I definitely wouldn't get these if you're planning to do 90% street driving.

Don't get me wrong, Porterfield is a fantastic racing name, but I wouldn't recommend them as a street pad.
rockd is offline   United_States
0
      08-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #18
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,112
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockd View Post
My experience with Porterfield R4-S pads (on a B5 Audi S4 with the 6-piston Porsche Cayenne BBK upgrade):

The pads have very little dust and very little noise, which is a big plus. However, they have pretty much no bite at all when cold. Especially during the winter, they just wouldn't bite hard unless you REALLY heated up the brakes. After heavy braking for at least 10 minutes, they performed well enough... but I definitely wouldn't get these if you're planning to do 90% street driving.

Don't get me wrong, Porterfield is a fantastic racing name, but I wouldn't recommend them as a street pad.
Cold bite should be at the same level as stock with the R4-S. Perhaps in extreme cold, the R4-S performs differently.

Warm and hot temp brake torque is beyond what the oem pads can offer for sure!

Feedback from one of my customer is that the cold bite is identicle to stock:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...50&postcount=7
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
      08-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: A very fast car :)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London

Posts: 1,800
iTrader: (0)

Can you pls PM me price inc shipping to London, UK? Thanks. J
__________________
Speedtrap is offline   United Kingdom
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST