BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6741
Rep
16,680
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up BMW sports car concept to be unveiled at Frankfurt Motor Show in September!

This just in:

Dr. Klaus Draeger, member of BMW's board of management has told AutoTelegraaf, the dutch auto news site, that BMW has plans to debut a sustainable sports concept car at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2009. According to Dr. Draeger, the sports car concept will feature "sustainable design and material elements."

If past reports are any indication, this upcoming sports car concept may be used to study the viability of creating a 2 seater sports car which showcases BMW's latest environmental technology (such as lightweight materials, stop-start systems, regenerative braking systems, direct injection, etc.). Word is a limited production run could possibly start sometime in 2012.


Music to our ears! Could this be the answer to what BMW fans have been kicking and screaming for... a possible Audi R8 and Mercedes SLS AMG fighter? We'll see
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
JamieA
Colonel
JamieA's Avatar
Australia
28
Rep
2,147
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i SG
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to JamieA
I really hope so. BMW need an iconic car right now to galvanise the troops, something to fight the R8 and others, but done BMW's way.
__________________
'05 E90 325i 6sp Man SG 118,032km on the odo (retired) | '06 E90 325i Step SG 121,021km on the odo (retired)
'08 E90 325i LCI Step SG 130,024km on the odo (retired)
'13 D30 328i M-Sport Step | Estoril Blue | Black/Aluminimum | Pro Nav | Xenon HBA | Lane Change Assist 1,760km on the odo
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
GnokGnik
Captain
10
Rep
936
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Please let it look like the M1 homage! That would blow other car designs outta the water.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
sunking420
First Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: '08 SGM 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Flagler Beach, Florida

iTrader: (0)

I'm coming into some money soon, and was thinking about an Audi R8 to add to the stable. They make this Homage with more power and better performance than the R8, I'm sold. This thing looks incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
abadiu
Enlisted Member
abadiu's Avatar
Romania
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 330xd '07
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bucharest RO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
I really hope so. BMW need an iconic car right now to galvanise the troops, something to fight the R8 and others, but done BMW's way.
I agree!
__________________
great car, great company, love the feel thanks BMW
my 3er: 330xd 2007 SG Black leather alu trim


Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,238
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Interesting how the journalist adds his own lib that the car will be an Audi R8 , SLS Rival etc. When BMW says a sports car concept .

BMW do not follow Audi nor Mercedes-Benz. And with Sports cars you can do things a lot differently than the other manufacturers.
The BMW Concept Car is a car for this age and is not destined for the select few but everyone should get the opportunity to own one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,452
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

If they really do a sports car I hope it will look as no other and still make it the most desired and that it makes the Ring in less than 7:20. But I still wish a M3 CSL E92: ~500 hp, ~500 Nm, <1400 kg, wider front and very wide rear fenders.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,452
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Interesting how the journalist adds his own lib that the car will be an Audi R8 , SLS Rival etc. When BMW says a sports car concept .

BMW do not follow Audi nor Mercedes-Benz. And with Sports cars you can do things a lot differently than the other manufacturers.
The BMW Concept Car is a car for this age and is not destined for the select few but everyone should get the opportunity to own one.

Well in this way it is nothing special. A ~1000 kg, ~300 hp, 2.0l TwinPower Turbo 4 cylinders Z2 Concept. What can BMW do to rival the Ferrari 458 Italia?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
2,014
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
Z4 M

Probably not, but we can dream...
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
the infamous...'s Avatar
United_States
434
Rep
17,533
Posts

 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Antinontoxic's Avatar
Finland
33
Rep
501
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Z4 35i DKG M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

What I have heard, production model of M1 was cancelled earlier, so I dont think it is going to be that one. Z2 concept could be more likely, or even Z4 35im....
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
cosmos515
Second Lieutenant
cosmos515's Avatar
4
Rep
215
Posts

 
Drives: I find what I keeps
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Not M1

Its supposed to be the Z2 "concept" car.
__________________
"Motion does not equal progress"
"I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning"
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,238
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Sustainable does not mean over 500 PS. It's a Hybrid Sports car.

"What can BMW do to rival the Ferrari 458 Italia?"

As we done when the rivalry between the enzo , SLR and Carrera GT was in full swing. Sit back and watch our rivals get torn apart by a car that absolutely outclasses them in every turn like what the Enzo done.
Product planning is such a vicious circle and the results can be harsh when you go against a new Ferrari.

When the Enzo et all were under development we began working on "Efficient Dynamics" for future mobility solutions which is what we did before and why we are the leading premium manufacturer of sustainability because we invested in it at the right time , Audi and Mercedes-Benz were working on their upper level sports cars whilst we were developing Efficient Dynamics to which our competitors are scrambling to catch up. "Efficient Dynamics" in our cars have brought new customers and an increase of sales to the BMW brand and this will not be substituted because we do not have an image building supercar or poor driving high performance models like our competitors.

Also BMW are working on a variety of performance models that will reflect sustainability and performance underneath "Efficient Dynamics". M division will become the pinnacle of "Efficient Dynamics".

Last edited by SCOTT26; 07-29-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,452
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

Well, as I said, its 100% sure, it is going to be the Z2 Concept with its ~2.0l turbocharged 4 cylinder in line engine. I only do not know if it will be just a design concept (like M1 Hommage Concept) or if it will already have its engine (like M3 Concept). And I do not know if it will be called Z2 Concept or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #15
gmilori
Private First Class
gmilori's Avatar
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: F80 AW 6MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Well, as I said, its 100% sure, it is going to be the Z2 Concept with its ~2.0l turbocharged 4 cylinder in line engine. I only do not know if it will be just a design concept (like M1 Hommage Concept) or if it will already have its engine (like M3 Concept). And I do not know if it will be called Z2 Concept or not.
and you know this because..?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #16
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
JoeyBananaz18's Avatar
49
Rep
3,763
Posts

 
Drives: metrocard
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Whitestone, NY

iTrader: (3)

for those who say the M1 was canceled, id like to remind everyone they swore they would never build a M version of the X5.
__________________
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Imola.ZHP
No car payments...
Imola.ZHP's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
2,014
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mud Island, TN

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Imola.ZHP Send a message via MSN to Imola.ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to Imola.ZHP
^ good point...
__________________

Marcus
-- 330i ZHP
-- Build Date 03/03/03
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #18
BMWI6
Major
BMWI6's Avatar
Colombia
32
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Z4 M

Probably not, but we can dream...
True, thats all we need right now. I would literally sell all of my possesions if I needed to in order for BMW to produce the new z4m. thats car would just be sick, it would make the z8 look like a little girls toy.
__________________
If everything seems under control, then you aren't going fast enough"
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #19
BMWI6
Major
BMWI6's Avatar
Colombia
32
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Sustainable does not mean over 500 PS. It's a Hybrid Sports car.

"What can BMW do to rival the Ferrari 458 Italia?"

As we done when the rivalry between the enzo , SLR and Carrera GT was in full swing. Sit back and watch our rivals get torn apart by a car that absolutely outclasses them in every turn like what the Enzo done.
Product planning is such a vicious circle and the results can be harsh when you go against a new Ferrari.

When the Enzo et all were under development we began working on "Efficient Dynamics" for future mobility solutions which is what we did before and why we are the leading premium manufacturer of sustainability because we invested in it at the right time , Audi and Mercedes-Benz were working on their upper level sports cars whilst we were developing Efficient Dynamics to which our competitors are scrambling to catch up. "Efficient Dynamics" in our cars have brought new customers and an increase of sales to the BMW brand and this will not be substituted because we do not have an image building supercar or poor driving high performance models like our competitors.

Also BMW are working on a variety of performance models that will reflect sustainability and performance underneath "Efficient Dynamics". M division will become the pinnacle of "Efficient Dynamics".
I really dislike those making the decisions at BMW right now, BMW does not stand for efficient dynamics, its good that they can make efficient cars but that should not be what defines them. If I want efficient I will get a prius or VW tdi. If I want performance and driving dynamics I get a BMW.
__________________
If everything seems under control, then you aren't going fast enough"
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #20
TWSnow
Lieutenant
TWSnow's Avatar
8
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335I xDrive coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UpState, NY

iTrader: (0)

Damn I wish I had the money if this ever comes out.... Wish me luck on this Fire Fighter test!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
311
Rep
3,238
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
I really dislike those making the decisions at BMW right now, BMW does not stand for efficient dynamics, its good that they can make efficient cars but that should not be what defines them. If I want efficient I will get a prius or VW tdi. If I want performance and driving dynamics I get a BMW.
OK lets talk seriously if BMW Brought out a supercar rival to the Audi R8 how many can actually afford it? And not by Lease.
because when were were evaluating the strategy for a ltd run on the BMW M1Hommage once we seperated demand from the dreamers there was no case for a business strategy.

Efficient Dynamics is our strategy and so is Project-i , BMW are the current pioneers in lowering it's emissions in it's products and with it's new developments aim to be the leaders in the future.
Efficient Dynamics is about the best of both worlds - The best drivers car in it's segment with class leading efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 07:01 PM   #22
Me_Hi
Major
Me_Hi's Avatar
No_Country
18
Rep
1,490
Posts

 
Drives: *
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: *

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadiu View Post
I agree!
hai salut
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST