BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-24-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Post respray clear bra install

There's another recent post in the general section regarding waxing of new paint which got me thinking about my situation. My car was involved in an accident where almost half of the car is going to be repaired/resprayed including the front end. Is putting a clear bra on these areas immediately after respraying going to damage the paint due to lack of curing time? Also, how long should I wait before waxing?
'08 M3 JB DCT Coupe /// DTEC Cree LED Angel Eyes / Mtech Super White Cornering Lights / Matte Black Kidneys & Gilles / 35-40% FormulaOne Pinnacle / VRS Boot / VRS II Diffuser / AA exhaust / Fabspeed HFC & X-pipe / Eibach Springs / RDSport Front Bumper / 19" Satin Charcoal HRE P40 / RPI Scoops / PSW (Non-electronic) / BMW Stainless Steel Pedals / LeatherZ Alcantara Boots
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

I would recommend waiting at least 90 days before reinstalling the invisible bra on freshly repainted areas. Allow your repainted areas enough time to cure, allowing for shrinkage. A good body shop usually has a 90 return date to inspect the repaired areas, and give you a courtesy clay and wax......
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative Detailing View Post
I would recommend waiting at least 90 days before reinstalling the invisible bra on freshly repainted areas. Allow your repainted areas enough time to cure, allowing for shrinkage. A good body shop usually has a 90 return date to inspect the repaired areas, and give you a courtesy clay and wax......
90 days is way too excessive. 30 days is more than enough time for paint to properly cure, even if you're dealing with a poor body shop that improperly baked the paint. A car painted by a GOOD body shop that bakes paint properly and then lets it sit in the sun for a day can have a clear bra applied in less than 3 days. I've lifted clear bras off of cars, my own M5 included, that had the clear bra applied 3 days after being resprayed and the paint did not lift off. If you wait 90 days to have the clear bra applied, you'll have already accumulated a ton of rock chips and that would defeat the purpose of having a clear bra put on after those 90 days.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
90 days is way too excessive. 30 days is more than enough time for paint to properly cure, even if you're dealing with a poor body shop that improperly baked the paint. A car painted by a GOOD body shop that bakes paint properly and then lets it sit in the sun for a day can have a clear bra applied in less than 3 days. I've lifted clear bras off of cars, my own M5 included, that had the clear bra applied 3 days after being resprayed and the paint did not lift off. If you wait 90 days to have the clear bra applied, you'll have already accumulated a ton of rock chips and that would defeat the purpose of having a clear bra put on after those 90 days.
I beg to differ with your comments, yes 90 days is excessive, I agree 30 days is sufficient, but 3 days no way in hell. I recently managed a body shop detail dept for a 6 month period here in OC to help turn the detail shop around and impliment new ideas. This body shop is owned by Shelly BMW and based on using the new water base paint systems, Spies Hecker advises waiting at least 30days before applying invisible bra material.......This is a 1st class body shop, not some butcher shop....and as a courtesy we gave a 90 day inspection period to inspect repair work. Not to many body shops even offer this.........

A ton of chips.......hmmm we just installed an Invisible Bra today on a 02 Carrera that had 51,000 miles and only 3 chips..............Just my professional advise!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
I would recommend waiting at least 90 days
Quote:
I agree 30 days is sufficient
I'm certainly not an expert here but I can call wishy-washy with the best of them. Which is it 30 days or 90 days? I definitely side with Eclipse that 90 is way too much simply based on how much wear and tear you will get. I ended up waiting about 6 weeks after a respray, but intended only to wait about 4 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: where do I start?

My 2cents. There's no point in waiting that long. My suv was in an accident a while ago and just 3 weeks of driving through the 405 netted me many chips. I decided to not get the clear bra because by the time I was ready (some 6 weeks have passed), it was not worth getting anymore. So my real world experience is with the 30 day guys here.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
htp autoworks
Private
Rep

Drives: A fast one...

I wont install unless its had 30 days to cure. Anything sooner is risking lifting the paint later on if the film needs to be removed... no matter how good the body shop is.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [3.88]
Quote:
I beg to differ with your comments, yes 90 days is excessive, I agree 30 days is sufficient, but 3 days no way in hell. I recently managed a body shop detail dept for a 6 month period here in OC to help turn the detail shop around and impliment new ideas. This body shop is owned by Shelly BMW and based on using the new water base paint systems, Spies Hecker advises waiting at least 30days before applying invisible bra material.......This is a 1st class body shop, not some butcher shop....and as a courtesy we gave a 90 day inspection period to inspect repair work. Not to many body shops even offer this.........

A ton of chips.......hmmm we just installed an Invisible Bra today on a 02 Carrera that had 51,000 miles and only 3 chips..............Just my professional advise!!!!!!!!!!!
The body shop I work with is one of the most respected shops in California and handles most of Brembo NA's aftermarket calipers. With this shop in particular, we bake the paint in the booth and then let the paint sit in the sun for a day. After a 3 day period, the paint is more than ready for a clear bra. This is water-based paint. To test our theory, we've pulled numerous clear bras off of cars months after the 3 day wait-time application. The paint was just as flawless as when it came out of the booth.

This concept does not apply to all body shops, but instead is directed towards those who give a damn about the final product and are educated in their field. The amount of clear coat shot also directly affects the time in which you have to wait to apply a clear bra. My body shop will measure the amount of clear shot, with a healthy amount weighing in at around 160 microns. Some shops will shoot an excessive amount of clear (e.g. 400 microns), and thus those panels will take much longer to cure than a panel shot at my body shop. My point here is that there are plenty of variables that dictate the amount of time paint needs to dry, including air temperature in and out of the spray booth and humidity.

On this subject, I'll part with this: For MOST body shops, 30 days is recommended. If you want optimal results, apply masking tape over your bumper until the clear bra is applied.

It's impossible that the only imperfections on a 51,000 mile low clearance car are 3 chips and nothing else. The entire bumper will be littered with pits and chips from being hit by rocks, dirt, sand, bugs, etc. No quality detailer would recommend applying a clear bra over a car that has 51,000 miles without a respray prior to install, irregardless of how well you polished it. Maybe you have a different standard of perfection than I do, but when Premier Mobile and I work together to install a clear bra, I make sure the bumper looks like glass w/ zero flaws. If you like the idea of installing clear bra over what is essentially sandblasted plastic, more power to you.

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 07-27-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Appreciate 0