BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
shimshimhada's Avatar
United_States
87
Rep
4,839
Posts

 
Drives: Portal
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portal

iTrader: (2)

Anyone use RaceDeck as an alternative to epoxy floor treatments?

http://www.racedeck.com/residential.html

Seems pretty nifty.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
194
Rep
9,226
Posts

 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (32)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
i have see some dude did his garage at a Merc forum...but this dude also have a lambo murcielago
looks real good...the garage
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
31
Rep
735
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: e90post.com

iTrader: (0)

A guy I know that owns a chevy dealership has something like this in his own home garage. Of course, he's got 10 cars in his garage.

I didn't look over this particular brand closely, but I'm sure it's pretty costly. Then again, anything is better than paint...or even stain.

I painted my concrete garage floor with a concrete stain from sherwin williams and it has lasted much better than regular paint, but it hasn't gotten wet very often, but even so, I wouldn't say it's "peeling up" but you can tell it's starting to get worn. Pretty good though--it's been on for about 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
I love the double decker Vipers or whatever it is. The floor looks pretty good too!
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I was thinking about something from Lowes like this.
Attachment 30838
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Asiann; 03-11-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
31
Rep
735
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: e90post.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
I was thinking about something from Lowes like this.
Tried it already...it's a complete waste of money if you: a) wash cars on the garage floor; b) park cars with wet tires on the floor; c) let cars sit on the floor for more than a week (tires that sit on the floor for a while pulls up the paint); or d) are planning on painting over a previously painted floor.

It may stick to bare concrete better than previously painted concrete, but if the above conditions exist, I wouldn't expect a "showroom" condition garage floor for very long. Just a heads up!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
foofighter
Captain
foofighter's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
815
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Ford Flex EcoBoost
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The OC

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to foofighter
buy the snap together tiles
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Tried it already...it's a complete waste of money if you: a) wash cars on the garage floor; b) park cars with wet tires on the floor; c) let cars sit on the floor for more than a week (tires that sit on the floor for a while pulls up the paint); or d) are planning on painting over a previously painted floor.

It may stick to bare concrete better than previously painted concrete, but if the above conditions exist, I wouldn't expect a "showroom" condition garage floor for very long. Just a heads up!
Did you treat the floor before applying?
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #9
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
31
Rep
735
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: e90post.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
Did you treat the floor before applying?
How do you mean? I didn't go over it with paint remover, if that's what you mean (like you're supposed to! )

But the floor was really peeled up from the last paint job, so there were a lot of spots of bare concrete. I flushed it down with the hose, scrubbed it down with car wash soap and a stiff push broom, let it dry for a day, then went over the whole floor with a shop vac to get the loose dirt and paint chips.

Like I said, I painted over the old paint, but also many big spots of bare concrete, and within about 3 months, it didn't matter. The paint was chipping up everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
35
Rep
2,861
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535i MSport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
How do you mean? I didn't go over it with paint remover, if that's what you mean (like you're supposed to! )

But the floor was really peeled up from the last paint job, so there were a lot of spots of bare concrete. I flushed it down with the hose, scrubbed it down with car wash soap and a stiff push broom, let it dry for a day, then went over the whole floor with a shop vac to get the loose dirt and paint chips.

Like I said, I painted over the old paint, but also many big spots of bare concrete, and within about 3 months, it didn't matter. The paint was chipping up everywhere.
I didn't see where you just painted over it. I meant with bare floors. I used a kit before and had to use acid to clean it. Might have worked better it you started with bare floor.
__________________
Can you say Alooooha?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
ward
Major General
70
Rep
6,162
Posts

 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

iTrader: (0)

anyone here using the racedeck yet??


I'm planning on getting it for my new place when I move, but am curious if anyone here's got any feedback on the product
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
Zargon
New Member
Zargon's Avatar
1
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

This is my garage floor:



Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
ward
Major General
70
Rep
6,162
Posts

 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

iTrader: (0)

looks sharp!

did you do it yourself or have it done by a pro?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
Zargon
New Member
Zargon's Avatar
1
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
looks sharp!

did you do it yourself or have it done by a pro?
The pros did it for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
ward
Major General
70
Rep
6,162
Posts

 
Drives: F
Join Date: May 2005
Location: T

iTrader: (0)

if you don't mind me asking what's the damage on that


looks like racedeck'll run 1200-1500 bucks easy, plus I'd have to install it myself (who knows, with some beer it might be fun)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #16
Zargon
New Member
Zargon's Avatar
1
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
if you don't mind me asking what's the damage on that


looks like racedeck'll run 1200-1500 bucks easy, plus I'd have to install it myself (who knows, with some beer it might be fun)
About $1,600. Of course my wife chose the most expensive option, so you can get it done cheaper. If cost is equal, I would choose the epoxy over the racedeck, but thats just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST