BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
 
gthirtyfizle's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,794
iTrader: (4)

Just called united bmw. My price was basically $100 more for each part lol.
gthirtyfizle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #24
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Just called united bmw. My price was basically $100 more for each part lol.
You need to order either thru their internet portal or thru Dan by PM in the link posted... direct calling will give you the full retail price.

FYI: BMW also increased most of their electronics part prices by up to 50% last month (CIC computer went from $600 to $900, HD LCD screen from $1000 to $1500), so if my posted prices are no longer valid then most probably was the corporate increases. My order was placed two months ago, by the way...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #25
svtfast
Captain
 
svtfast's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Space/Coral
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ft. Gordon, GA

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Technic are the new center consols only available for E92 M3s? I need one for my 335i.
svtfast is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 01:41 AM   #26
lugnut
First Lieutenant
 
lugnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, NJ

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
something tells me that you'll eventually retrofit the new CIC idrive in the end .... the wiring and parts will eventually become available.
Probably around September/October when the X5/6 get the CIC set up. That CIC will supposedly use the older lower res screen that we have in our 08 cars.

I was supposed to pick up my console/controller today, but surprise....BACKORDERED.

This is really impacting my carbon leather wrapping project!
__________________
12 E70 X5d Black Saphire/ Tobacco
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race, RG63
09 E90 335xi Crimson/Saddle 02 E46 M3 Cab Imola/Black (Sold-RIP)97 E36 Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue/Tan (Sold)
lugnut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #27
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
 
Booster4075's Avatar
 
Drives: E90, 335i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California

Posts: 388
iTrader: (1)

Technic-
Is the WDS available yet for LCI/CIC cars? If so...it'd be fairly easy to track down where the USB cable goes. I gotta believe if that you/we/I buy a salvage CIC, we can mandate that they chop out the new "special" CID cable as a retrofit is unusable without it..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The display and USB cables from the CIC are not available separately, they are only available as part of the whole audio harness, according to BMW NA. That harness is $511.82, discounted. These cables are really individual cables and not connected in any way of any device other than directly to the display and to the USB port in the glovebox, so in effect they are just individually taped to the main audio harness

Without those two cables any thinking about a new iDrive retrofit is impossible.

I need to find a junkyard with late model cars with some MY2009 3 Series iDrive parts to see if I can get at least those cables from the OEM harness. The rest of the parts are no problem to get at all.
Booster4075 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #28
m328ci
Private First Class
 
m328ci's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i, E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok

Posts: 156
iTrader: (0)

could anyone provide me the p/n for right hand drive DCT center console?
m328ci is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtfast View Post
Technic are the new center consols only available for E92 M3s? I need one for my 335i.
I really don't know what's going on with these consoles, you will need to ask you dealer and most probably you will need to order one and wait a considerable time to find out. They are not in stock at all and I don't think that they will be in some time...

Yes, it is messed up but so far that's the only way to get one.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Probably around September/October when the X5/6 get the CIC set up. That CIC will supposedly use the older lower res screen that we have in our 08 cars.

I was supposed to pick up my console/controller today, but surprise....BACKORDERED.

This is really impacting my carbon leather wrapping project!
Perhaps you meant the LCI controller, as the CIC display output is only HD and thru a completely different cable from the old CCC/low definition combo.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #31
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Technic-
Is the WDS available yet for LCI/CIC cars? If so...it'd be fairly easy to track down where the USB cable goes. I gotta believe if that you/we/I buy a salvage CIC, we can mandate that they chop out the new "special" CID cable as a retrofit is unusable without it..
The cables are straight to the screen and USB, that's a given. The issue is the P/N... one of my local dealers suggested taking a look at the complete harness and look for a lable in each cable and get the numbers on it. That way they could try to order them.

Unfortunately that also mean that it has to be either a junk car or a car in service that its dash is being disassembled for whatever reason to really take a look at the harness as a whole.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #32
lugnut
First Lieutenant
 
lugnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, NJ

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Correct Technic. I got my CIC and my CCC mixed up. The X5/6 is supposed to have the LCI controller and CIC user interface (including Hard Drive, etc) but using the older CCC low res screen. What I think will be possible, and what the guys at my dealership are saying, is that once this "hybrid" system comes out for the X's, it should be an easy swap into our CCC cars. Plus it saves a couple grand since you won't have to spring for the HD screen if you don't want to.
__________________
12 E70 X5d Black Saphire/ Tobacco
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race, RG63
09 E90 335xi Crimson/Saddle 02 E46 M3 Cab Imola/Black (Sold-RIP)97 E36 Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue/Tan (Sold)
lugnut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Correct Technic. I got my CIC and my CCC mixed up. The X5/6 is supposed to have the LCI controller and CIC user interface (including Hard Drive, etc) but using the older CCC low res screen. What I think will be possible, and what the guys at my dealership are saying, is that once this "hybrid" system comes out for the X's, it should be an easy swap into our CCC cars. Plus it saves a couple grand since you won't have to spring for the HD screen if you don't want to.
That doesn't make any sense, IMO... the X5/6 should have exactly the same iDrive system -including the HD screen, the main point of the new iDrive- as the 5-, 6- and 7- Series not something lower in quality than even the 3-Series.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #34
lugnut
First Lieutenant
 
lugnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, NJ

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/01/06/bm...-in-september/

This seems to back up what I've been hearing. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but how BMW handled this entire changeover didn't make sense either. My salesman was shocked when some 08 5 series cars that weren't supposed to have the LCI controller showed up w/ them, while other 08 5ers got screwed. My father was pretty upset too when his brand new 2009 X5d came with the old system, yet my girlfriend's 2009 335xi, along with basically every other 2009 model, gets the new CIC system. It really shouldn't be this difficult to deliver systems across a brand at the same time.
__________________
12 E70 X5d Black Saphire/ Tobacco
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race, RG63
09 E90 335xi Crimson/Saddle 02 E46 M3 Cab Imola/Black (Sold-RIP)97 E36 Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue/Tan (Sold)
lugnut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #35
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/01/06/bm...-in-september/

This seems to back up what I've been hearing. I agree that it doesn't make sense, but how BMW handled this entire changeover didn't make sense either. My salesman was shocked when some 08 5 series cars that weren't supposed to have the LCI controller showed up w/ them, while other 08 5ers got screwed. My father was pretty upset too when his brand new 2009 X5d came with the old system, yet my girlfriend's 2009 335xi, along with basically every other 2009 model, gets the new CIC system. It really shouldn't be this difficult to deliver systems across a brand at the same time.
It seems to me that BMW is having either a parts supply problem or they are restricting so much the new parts inventories to save money that they don't have any other choice but to continue using old parts until they are gone. That could explain what happened with the 5/6-Series iDrive (especially when they are going to be replaced in 12-15 months) , but not with the X5/6, as these vehicles are of a way more recent platform than the E60 and they are going to be in their current form for quite a long time.

I think that this "hybrid" CIC with low resolution screen in the 2010 X5/6 is either a misunderstanding or simply not true. Let's see...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #36
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,920
iTrader: (25)

Awesome! I might consider doing this mod.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #37
lugnut
First Lieutenant
 
lugnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, NJ

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Before you do, read the other link about this install.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280901

Some of us are having issues with the swap due to unknown variables. More to come.
__________________
12 E70 X5d Black Saphire/ Tobacco
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race, RG63
09 E90 335xi Crimson/Saddle 02 E46 M3 Cab Imola/Black (Sold-RIP)97 E36 Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue/Tan (Sold)
lugnut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2009, 02:42 PM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,920
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Before you do, read the other link about this install.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280901

Some of us are having issues with the swap due to unknown variables. More to come.
Thanks for the update lugnut. I'm going to check out the link now.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #39
Zoominrex
First Lieutenant
 
Zoominrex's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

So this has all the new iDrive functions?
Zoominrex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #40
lugnut
First Lieutenant
 
lugnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, NJ

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoominrex View Post
So this has all the new iDrive functions?
No, just the controller. The Graphical User Interface doesn't change at all. The shortcut buttons all work though, and you still retain the joystick shortcuts as well (something that 09 idrives lost when the GUI was changed).
__________________
12 E70 X5d Black Saphire/ Tobacco
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race, RG63
09 E90 335xi Crimson/Saddle 02 E46 M3 Cab Imola/Black (Sold-RIP)97 E36 Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue/Tan (Sold)
lugnut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #41
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (5)

Nice work Technic!

Does anyone know if this mod will work with an 02/08 build?
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
lugnut
First Lieutenant
 
lugnut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, NJ

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Nice work Technic!

Does anyone know if this mod will work with an 02/08 build?

There is a link about the problem with the retrofit. I have a 2/08 build and IT DID NOT WORK

I think (only circumstantial proof of this) that it is due to the TCU (BMW assist) being upgraded during the 3/08 builds. I've done the swap on a 7/08 build and it worked perfectly. So far myself, and another member w/ a 1/08 build can not get it to work, even with a complete re-coding of the car.
__________________
12 E70 X5d Black Saphire/ Tobacco
08 E92 M3 SG/Fox Red Gintani Race, RG63
09 E90 335xi Crimson/Saddle 02 E46 M3 Cab Imola/Black (Sold-RIP)97 E36 Z3 1.9 Atlanta Blue/Tan (Sold)
lugnut is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Zoominrex
First Lieutenant
 
Zoominrex's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
No, just the controller. The Graphical User Interface doesn't change at all. The shortcut buttons all work though, and you still retain the joystick shortcuts as well (something that 09 idrives lost when the GUI was changed).
Oh that hardly seems worth the money then. So you just get shortcut buttons and the new look joystick?
Zoominrex is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #44
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,651
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
There is a link about the problem with the retrofit. I have a 2/08 build and IT DID NOT WORK

I think (only circumstantial proof of this) that it is due to the TCU (BMW assist) being upgraded during the 3/08 builds. I've done the swap on a 7/08 build and it worked perfectly. So far myself, and another member w/ a 1/08 build can not get it to work, even with a complete re-coding of the car.
Thanks for the effort. I have a 01/08 build too. Was looking forward to getting this mod done. Oh well....
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST