BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
fjork_duf
Private First Class
6
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: Hopefully V8 M3 Soon
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Taking M3 on Ferry in Washington State

I know this may sound stupid but I was wondering if any WA state guys have experience taking their M3s on the ferry here: Edmonds - Kingston/WA-104 ferry to Kingston

I'm driving my car up there soon and I'm trying to plan the route I'll take. I know the M3 is so low it scrapes on almost anything so I was wondering if it could potentially scrape on the Ferry.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
michaeldorian
Captain
United_States
26
Rep
964
Posts

 
Drives: Beater Nissan Truck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
I know this may sound stupid but I was wondering if any WA state guys have experience taking their M3s on the ferry here: Edmonds - Kingston/WA-104 ferry to Kingston

I'm driving my car up there soon and I'm trying to plan the route I'll take. I know the M3 is so low it scrapes on almost anything so I was wondering if it could potentially scrape on the Ferry.
I've done this ferry multiple times to get to the Olympic National Forest. The M3 will be fine. This particular ferry is really nice. You won't be scraping, unless your car is totally slammed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
fjork_duf
Private First Class
6
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: Hopefully V8 M3 Soon
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Awesome. I have a 100% stock suspension on my 4-door. I just was afraid of steep ramps or maybe large bumps or stuff like that. I'm just unfamiliar with the Ferry system.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
zacbol
Private
4
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bellevue, Wa

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, you should be fine. My girlfriend and I took the ferry to the Orcas island and it was totally fine. My only annoyance was the asshole ferry attendent saying 'It's only a car' in a really disdainful tone as I was trying to inch up slowly to the car in front of me and avoid tapping it.

I was tempted to respond "Yeah, but it's 414 horses, a manual, and a ding in the bumper would cost more than you make in a month." But then I'd be yet another BMW asshole. Still, it pissed me off since I was just trying to be careful not to tap the car in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
dawgdog
Colonel
29
Rep
2,178
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3, 2010 GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

iTrader: (0)

Take mine on the ferry to Whidbey island all the time. Is fine.
__________________
2015 f80 M3, 2010 GT3RS
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
schadenfreude
Lieutenant
schadenfreude's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
424
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E90 M-DCT M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
Yeah, you should be fine. My girlfriend and I took the ferry to the Orcas island and it was totally fine. My only annoyance was the asshole ferry attendent saying 'It's only a car' in a really disdainful tone as I was trying to inch up slowly to the car in front of me and avoid tapping it.

I was tempted to respond "Yeah, but it's 414 horses, a manual, and a ding in the bumper would cost more than you make in a month." But then I'd be yet another BMW asshole. Still, it pissed me off since I was just trying to be careful not to tap the car in front of me.
LOL. My wife didn't know about the "tilt sensor" button in her A4. You should have heard their sigh and tone on the PA when it went off mid-cruise. I've seen a couple cars get their bumpers dinged and punctured by tow balls, etc, with rocking, so I would hesitate to move those last few inches, too.
__________________
AiB LEDs///MS Filter///Hardwired V1///VentureShield///F1 Pinnacle 35%///IND Reflectors///BMW Performance Grills
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
JIO
Captain
12
Rep
627
Posts

 
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Eugene, Oregon

iTrader: (0)

I hustle down to the car as soon as they are approaching land as the people parked on either side could care less about door dings. They use your car for a door stop and then when they get in, there door leaves a scratch from their fat bodies sinking the suspension of their cars. If I'm there, they are much more careful about touching my car.

It will also be a tight squeeze getting in and out of the car with the big coupe doors. They do pack them in tightly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
apw2607
Major
45
Rep
1,428
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 X5 35d
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
I hustle down to the car as soon as they are approaching land as the people parked on either side could care less about door dings. They use your car for a door stop and then when they get in, there door leaves a scratch from their fat bodies sinking the suspension of their cars. If I'm there, they are much more careful about touching my car.

It will also be a tight squeeze getting in and out of the car with the big coupe doors. They do pack them in tightly.
I travel WA state ferries a lot. Shouldn't be a problem. There's normally enough space between cars, and never had issues with door ding-ers.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
leeor
Banned
United_States
53
Rep
2,393
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

ferry!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST