BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
SWOLE
Private First Class
 
Drives: This week?
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Apex, NC

Posts: 103
iTrader: (5)

Swapping just subs out...

I know there are plenty of people that are experienced with this type of stuff on this board. My question is would I experience any increase in performance if I were to swap the stock subs for SWS-8s and change nothing else? If so, which resistance should I get?

I am not too clever when it comes to wiring whole audio systems but I would like to increase the performance in the lower frequency tones.

Your thought are appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Tom
SWOLE is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,844
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOLE View Post
I know there are plenty of people that are experienced with this type of stuff on this board. My question is would I experience any increase in performance if I were to swap the stock subs for SWS-8s and change nothing else? If so, which resistance should I get?

I am not too clever when it comes to wiring whole audio systems but I would like to increase the performance in the lower frequency tones.

Your thought are appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,
Tom
I don't think that you will notice the improvement in the standard system. You will definitely notice the improvement if the system is the Premium Audio, however the OEM amp will overheat and shut down due to the change of impedance (from 7 ohms OEM to 4 ohms SWS-8).
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
SWOLE
Private First Class
 
Drives: This week?
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Apex, NC

Posts: 103
iTrader: (5)

Thanks for your input, Technic. I do have premium audio, which I should have mentioned. But my understanding is that you could purchase SWS-8s in 8 ohms as well. Is this not true? If it is correct, would the swap be worth it if I were to change nothing else?

Thanks again.
SWOLE is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,844
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOLE View Post
Thanks for your input, Technic. I do have premium audio, which I should have mentioned. But my understanding is that you could purchase SWS-8s in 8 ohms as well. Is this not true? If it is correct, would the swap be worth it if I were to change nothing else?

Thanks again.
I have not seen an 8 ohms SWS-8... where did you see them?
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
SWOLE
Private First Class
 
Drives: This week?
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Apex, NC

Posts: 103
iTrader: (5)

i thought I saw both 4 and 8 ohm speakers on the internet. It was an online stereo/speaker warehouse. I can't find it now, however, so I am probably wrong in that statement. I can only find 2 and 4 ohm variants.

Let me ask this: Couldn't I just add a 4 ohm resistor before the sub to simulate a total resistance of 8 ohms?

If I could find a direct replacement 8 ohm sub would I even notice a difference in the sound?

Thanks again for your help!
SWOLE is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
dvn
Lieutenant
 
dvn's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 409
iTrader: (4)

Are the sub enclosures under the seat both 8" for the standard and premium audio?
dvn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,844
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOLE View Post
i thought I saw both 4 and 8 ohm speakers on the internet. It was an online stereo/speaker warehouse. I can't find it now, however, so I am probably wrong in that statement. I can only find 2 and 4 ohm variants.

Let me ask this: Couldn't I just add a 4 ohm resistor before the sub to simulate a total resistance of 8 ohms?

If I could find a direct replacement 8 ohm sub would I even notice a difference in the sound?

Thanks again for your help!
Definitely adding a 4 ohms resistor should keep the OEM from overheating. However, you will be reducing the power to the SWS-8 in half -slightly less than OEM levels- by doubling its impedance which defeats the purpose of increasing the performance of the OEM subs.

The SWS-8 requires plenty of power to really hit hard, and after my experiment of swapping the OEM woofers with SWS-8, I basically concluded that the improvement was mostly due to the OEM amp putting out almost double its OEM power, from around 150W peak at 7 ohms to 250W-260W peak at 4 ohms than due to anything else. The OEM woofer can hit pretty decent bass if you tweak the EQ bass bands, but the advantage of the SWS-8 is that they hit deeper and cleaner, with this "thuuuump" instead of "thuump" if you know what I mean.

That requires much more power than what the OEM amp can safely produce...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,844
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn View Post
Are the sub enclosures under the seat both 8" for the standard and premium audio?
Yes, but different woofers.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Adonislike
Captain
 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

Posts: 842
iTrader: (1)

Tech, have you changed your system at all since we last spoke??
Adonislike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,844
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
Tech, have you changed your system at all since we last spoke??
No, I only added a LC6i to better manage the high output levels of the OEM amp into the bit one.1.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Adonislike
Captain
 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

Posts: 842
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No, I only added a LC6i to better manage the high output levels of the OEM amp into the bit one.1.
Im aggravated the mObridge isnt avail yet
Adonislike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
SCtud
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

has anyone tried using the skipass to put in an infinite baffle subwoofer? seems that that would be the best way to add real bass to the car without losing trunk space (which is at a premium for me since i have the convertible).

http://m.mfestforum.com/showthread.php?t=879

This looks like a pretty sweet setup. I am just having a really hard time finding other similar installs and there seems to be a lack of good infinite baffle subs out there.
SCtud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST