BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I have a cottage in Canada and many BMW friends up there as well. I have been to Calabogie and Mt Tremblant. I know many of my Canadian friends either remove or tape over there license plates because some Canadian companies were dropping folks just for driving on the track regardless of whether the drivers were covered or not.

Interesting.

BTW, happy Canada day.
I checked with my insurance guy (for a friend) and told that there is no coverage if the car is on a surface used for racing.Yes you might get coverage for a HPDE but I am sure you be paying for legal help and looking for another insurer after that.

Mike are you doing Calabogie this year?It looks like there might be a few of us going on August 14th.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #24
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
I'll be at my cottage then however the M3 doesn't make the trip. The Expedition pulls the ski boat the Subaru pulls the SeaDoo. At that point we are out of drivers. However, maybe I'll drive up and watch for a while. It's only an hour from my cottage.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #25
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I'll be at my cottage then however the M3 doesn't make the trip. The Expedition pulls the ski boat the Subaru pulls the SeaDoo. At that point we are out of drivers. However, maybe I'll drive up and watch for a while. It's only an hour from my cottage.
I will confirm 100% if I am going to be there for sure.I got roped into instructing this weekend @ Mosport and they want me to be doing lead & follow with a couple of guys that have race cars with no passenger seats so that will be another 6 sessions I did not count on for tire wear+ any instructor sessions I go play in..My tire dealer called and the new track rubber he ordered for me 8 weeks ago arrived but in the wrong sizing.ARRG!
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #26
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
What type of track rubber did you order?
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #27
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

OK. It sounds like the universe is converging on Canada this summer for track fun.

Skierman, you need to find a way to tow your M3 as well because BMWCCA will be in Mt. Tremblant first week of August for 3 days.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #28
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Arrow Post your experiences with R-compound tires on the track here

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
What type of track rubber did you order?
I am going with another set of the R888's.The Toyo race tire distributor is a client of mine and now that I am running the proper pressures in them they seem to work ok.They are not the quickest tires and they are a extremly forgiving tire to large slip angles which makes them very easy to drive on.I just flipped the fronts on the rims as I am not running enough camber and as this weekend will be the 1st time on a faster track,I will get a proper feel for the balance of this car in some 4 th gear corners.A little bit of understeer at Mosport is a good thing and is the faster way round than a loose car.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #29
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I am going with another set of the R888's.The Toyo race tire distributor is a client of mine and now that I am running the proper pressures in them they seem to work ok.They are not the quickest tires and they are a extremly forgiving tire to large slip angles which makes them very easy to drive on.I just flipped the fronts on the rims as I am not running enough camber and as this weekend will be the 1st time on a faster track,I will get a proper feel for the balance of this car in some 4 th gear corners.A little bit of understeer at Mosport is a good thing and is the faster way round than a loose car.
I might need a new set of tires next month, and I've been looking into the R888s. They are $50/tire than the BFG R1s. I'm actually happy with the R1s, but looking at options anyway. How would you compare the two?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #30
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I might need a new set of tires next month, and I've been looking into the R888s. They are $50/tire than the BFG R1s. I'm actually happy with the R1s, but looking at options anyway. How would you compare the two?
The R1's are not avaiable in Canada unless I buy them them from Tire Rack or import them myself.I find the R888's to be a slow responding tire even compared to my 19" PS2 street tires but they seem to be holding up quite well.The only other R's that I have been on the last 8 years have been Hoosier's which were Grand-Am cup takeoffs & Khumo Victoracers and of the 2,I much prefer the Hoosiers as they are an extremly sharp tire but they did not tolerate improper alignment settings very well but I was getting them for $50/tire with 1 heat cycle on them.


Wow,we sure hijacked this thread
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #31
Feffman
Grand Poobah
 
Feffman's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gateway To The West

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

We insure our track car with WSIB Insurance (www.WSIBInsurance.com/de) for the entire year.

Feff
__________________
Feffman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #32
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Wow,we sure hijacked this thread
I know. I'll ban myself, and start a new thread on tires. Or maybe in the reverse order.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #33
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
OK. It sounds like the universe is converging on Canada this summer for track fun.

Skierman, you need to find a way to tow your M3 as well because BMWCCA will be in Mt. Tremblant first week of August for 3 days.
I've been at Tremblant that weekend the last 2 or 3 years straight because it falls when I'm on vacation up there and I have friends who are instructors with the Ottawa club, so I've been going over there and catching right seat rides. I imagine I'll go again this year. Just without the M3. I guess I need a 40 foot flatbed Semi to get all my toys to the cottage.

Lucid, are you going to be there?
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #34
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I've been at Tremblant that weekend the last 2 or 3 years straight because it falls when I'm on vacation up there and I have friends who are instructors with the Ottawa club, so I've been going over there and catching right seat rides. I imagine I'll go again this year. Just without the M3. I guess I need a 40 foot flatbed Semi to get all my toys to the cottage.

Lucid, are you going to be there?
Yes, I bought an Expedition and a trailer, so I'll be towing my car up there. I think Radiation Joe was also considering showing up. It'll be good to meet up.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #35
mhrir
Private First Class
 
Drives: Very fast
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the garage

Posts: 142
iTrader: (0)



Getting back on topic and adding my 2 cents... It is even more important to have liability covereage than property damage. It only takes someone to start suing everyone and you will dearly wish for liability protection, especially if there is an injury or worse.
mhrir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST