BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
mtechnik3
Colonel
mtechnik3's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI

iTrader: (22)

Rogue Engineering E9X M3 Rear Toe Arms

MORE INFORMATION
Attached Images
 
__________________

F30 335i ///M-Sport | Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
Taiwan
79
Rep
3,113
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

iTrader: (4)

what do these actually do?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
what do these actually do?
Uhhh, try reading the link.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
mtechnik3
Colonel
mtechnik3's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI

iTrader: (22)

My close friend has these on his E46 M3. It was one of the best mods he did. If you're a track junky, or just have your M slammed on coil-overs...these will come in handy...big time. Basically helps dial out toe, so you don't wear the inside of your rear tires so fast.

Like Greg said, click the link.
__________________

F30 335i ///M-Sport | Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MiroE90 View Post
My close friend has these on his E46 M3. It was one of the best mods he did. If you're a track junky, or just have your M slammed on coil-overs...these will come in handy...big time. Basically helps dial out toe, so you don't wear the inside of your rear tires so fast.

Like Greg said, click the link.
Please tell us how your friend put toe control arms on an e46. They are unique to the e9x cars. Rear toe doesn't change significantly on an e46 from lowering due to the trailing arm design. The e9x cars have a 5th link to manage the toe curve during suspension loading. The toe curve goes out of whack when the car is lowered.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
137
Rep
7,647
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Please tell us how your friend put toe control arms on an e46. They are unique to the e9x cars. Rear toe doesn't change significantly on an e46 from lowering due to the trailing arm design. The e9x cars have a 5th link to manage the toe curve during suspension loading. The toe curve goes out of whack when the car is lowered.
Maybe he meant control arms, not toe control arms, something like these?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php/II=699

__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 06-14-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
mtechnik3
Colonel
mtechnik3's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester Hills, MI

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Please tell us how your friend put toe control arms on an e46. They are unique to the e9x cars. Rear toe doesn't change significantly on an e46 from lowering due to the trailing arm design. The e9x cars have a 5th link to manage the toe curve during suspension loading. The toe curve goes out of whack when the car is lowered.
My bad, and you're absolutely correct Radiation Joe. I'm not as familiar with the e46 suspension design. I confused the e9X toe control arms with the e36/46 adjustable rear control arms. Thanks for the correction.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...y_Code=CTRLARM
__________________

F30 335i ///M-Sport | Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Maybe he meant control arms, not toe control arms, something like these?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php/II=699

Ahhh. The infamous "crybaby" arms. I had Turner arms with noisy rod ends. I thought about replacing them with the crybaby arms which never make noise.

None of those arms make a very significant difference with the e46. Replacing the rubber trailing arm bushings with spherical bearings was a very good mod, though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
cupspeed
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
277
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Those tire savers looks good
__________________
RD Sport Pulley, afe dry filter, KW V3
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Let's hope the rod ends stay quiet at least for a few months!

Have a look at these beauties we made for the 135/335i using oem sealed bearings, these should outlast the car!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Will this improve the handling combined with a low drop from coilovers? Or does this only help tire wear? Would the front need new toe arms?
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 06:44 AM   #12
bogdan
First Lieutenant
bogdan's Avatar
6
Rep
371
Posts

 
Drives: Z06
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rockville, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Will this improve the handling combined with a low drop from coilovers? Or does this only help tire wear? Would the front need new toe arms?

If the rear has too much toe, it could create an undesired ammount of understeer.

The front does not need those arms, toe is adjusted from the tie-rods.
__________________
E90 M3-gone|E92 335i-gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
GT3 Tim
Moderator
GT3 Tim's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,897
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
If the rear has too much toe, it could create an undesired ammount of understeer.

The front does not need those arms, toe is adjusted from the tie-rods.
Also, under heavier loads, OEM arms will deflect more (bushings), causing variations in toe (equals lame handling and unpredictable toe changes at bad times!).

I had to get RTC arms on the GT3 as after the ride height was adjusted, corner balanced, and aligned how I wanted it, I could not get the rear toe where I wanted it. Thus, I had to get a set so I had the adjustability. After that, the rear felt rock solid under heavy cornering loads. A definate fringe benefit! Before, with OEM RTC arms, the rear felt a little skiddish at the limit.

If you guys track, I would recommend these. RE makes some kick ass products.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Also, under heavier loads, OEM arms will deflect more (bushings), causing variations in toe (equals lame handling and unpredictable toe changes at bad times!).

I had to get RTC arms on the GT3 as after the ride height was adjusted, corner balanced, and aligned how I wanted it, I could not get the rear toe where I wanted it. Thus, I had to get a set so I had the adjustability. After that, the rear felt rock solid under heavy cornering loads. A definate fringe benefit! Before, with OEM RTC arms, the rear felt a little skiddish at the limit.

If you guys track, I would recommend these. RE makes some kick ass products.
OEM M3 toe links actually uses a seal bearing with minimum movement. Aftermarket rod-ends don't usually stay quiet and are more likely to have a shorter service life.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
So you're saying these RE Rear Toe Arms won't last as long as the stock setup? How long you expect these to last?
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #16
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,446
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
So you're saying these RE Rear Toe Arms won't last as long as the stock setup? How long you expect these to last?
There is only one way to find out. Try them!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST