BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

E92-lighting

06-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #23
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

??? cutting pipes makes you lose power ???

The loss of power you experienced had nothing to do with cutting the pipes. It had 100% to do with a poorly designed muffler.
      06-16-2009, 06:56 AM   #24
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
Thumbs up I have Remus Race exhaust and the sound is pure sex

I think Remus Race exhaust not only looks the best but sounds the best. I have AA X-pipe w/ AA high flow cats connected to my Remus Race For you guys that live in SoCal if you are going to this event below in June I will be there and you can come check out the sound:

http://big.socaleuro.com/caravan.php

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247907

http://big.socaleuro.com/

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
SHADY1 is offline   United_States
      06-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #25
jojogoya88
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB

EDIT: I asked the same question in both threads essentially.....Respond to the Other Remus Thread, not this one.

Does anyone think that the Remus Race is too loud? About to purchase the system and would like to know any downsides. Came from a straight piped Inline-4 so i know what drone sounds like, trust me.

Whats the drone like at cruising speeds?

And was it the best money spent ever?!?!.....
      06-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #26
335 S
Vile and Depraved

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Why didn't you choose the REMUS RACE?
Personal preference. The wheel hp bump is small on both, so I chose the Sport because of its sound. The Race sounds great, but at 46 I'm too old to rattle the windows. The Sport sound is much better than stock.
      06-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #27
335 S
Vile and Depraved

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Those pictures you posted don't do it any justice. The angle, the size, thickness, shape of the tips makes it one of the best looking exhausts period.

Here are some of the shots I have of when it was on my car. You can tell they did their homework when the fit the exhaust, painted section to hide it, tips, etc.

Agreed. My pics were lame. But my 10-ton lift was at the cleaners that day.
      06-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #28
CampioniShop

Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM3Mang View Post
I'm really sorry but after having experience with custom exhaust on my previous 550 and multiple Dyno's showing just how much torque and power loss there was with "cutting" of the BMW stock design, I don't see how Remus exhaust isn't losing power with cutting?

I love the sound of REMUS-don't get me wrong, but please explain to me how there won't be power/torque loss when you cut BMW pipes?

I'd love to be convinced I'm wrong. Also is there Sport exhaust different at all from the RPI Axle back sound? The cost is about similar and they don't cut jack shite.

Let me know ASAP.
Yes I have followed the magnaflow custom quad exhaust debacle over on E60.net and quite frankly I was not surprised. You experienced with a muffler that was not specifically designed for your BMW and a shop put together piping most likely with only 1 priority in mind: ASAP!

You cannot compare a custom exhaust system with no prior research and development, dyno testing, sound testing, fitment testing, etc. to a REMUS exhaust which features all the aforementioned traits.

Our systems have shown gains on both models, the E60 V8s, I6s and now the E92 M3.

As far as the main differences between the SPORT and the RACE, they are strictly related to the internals and the inner core. The RACE has less perforations in the core, allowing for less noise reduction and higher exhaust velocity.
      06-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #29
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Just as RemusShop stated, the Remus mufflers were designed specifically for the S65 engine. The connecting pipes are already well designed with large piping and smooth bends, so there isn't much to improve on. Now the stock muffler leaves much to be desired, as it has multiple 90 degress bends which kills flow (and power). I'd be willing to bet good money that the both Remus mufflers make decent power over stock.

Quote:
I'm really sorry but after having experience with custom exhaust on my previous 550 and multiple Dyno's showing just how much torque and power loss there was with "cutting" of the BMW stock design, I don't see how Remus exhaust isn't losing power with cutting?

I love the sound of REMUS-don't get me wrong, but please explain to me how there won't be power/torque loss when you cut BMW pipes?

I'd love to be convinced I'm wrong. Also is there Sport exhaust different at all from the RPI Axle back sound? The cost is about similar and they don't cut jack shite.

Let me know ASAP.
      06-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #30
MDBimmer

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMUSshop View Post
Yes, it will require the OEM exhaust to be cut off. However our system attaches with clamps. You can put back the OEM exhaust on using clamps as well.
if you have to cut the OEM exhaust off, is it possible to adjust the tips to fit flush for the e90 or will it still be a bit long?
      06-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #31
SoCalM3Mang
"Makin It Happen-West Coast Style"

Drives: 2008 E93 Jerez Black 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Just as RemusShop stated, the Remus mufflers were designed specifically for the S65 engine. The connecting pipes are already well designed with large piping and smooth bends, so there isn't much to improve on. Now the stock muffler leaves much to be desired, as it has multiple 90 degress bends which kills flow (and power). I'd be willing to bet good money that the both Remus mufflers make decent power over stock.
You guys have me contemplating this exhaust now SERIOUSLY!

I love the Remus Sport Sound in this clip from EAS

Powertrip-What exhaust are you going with now? How do you like your Fabspeed x-pipe? Can it connect to the Remus Sport Set-Up without issue and perfect fittament? And is there a dyno sheet for Remus Sport?
And lastly, who would offer me the lowest deal on Remus Sport installed in So Cal?

I ask a lot of questions.
08 BMW E93 6MT Jerez Black|HAMANN-ed|Lots of Carbon Fiber|Eibach E-93 Sprgs|Advan RS-D's 19x9+22/19x10+20|AA-SSK-Pulley|RPI Scoops-Red|RPI Axle Back Exhaust- Blacked Out Tips|Hamann Rep CF Lip-Diffuser-Trunk Spoiler||Hamaan Badging
SoCalM3Mang is offline   United_States
      06-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #32
CampioniShop

Quote:

Powertrip-What exhaust are you going with now? How do you like your Fabspeed x-pipe? Can it connect to the Remus Sport Set-Up without issue and perfect fittament? And is there a dyno sheet for Remus Sport?
And lastly, who would offer me the lowest deal on Remus Sport installed in So Cal?

For a great price, you can PM us

Dyno sheet:
      06-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #33
wolftrouble
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I have a question about the Remus exhaust. I put mine on back at the beginning of this year, in January. I love 'em, but they the tips stick out behind the back further than I'd like - it strikes me every time I look at it that it's not quite right.

However, I'm not sure how other people (and from looking at your pics, it looks like you have them mounted much more 'flush' with the rear bumper) manage to get them forward any further than I did. The problem is one of the 'cans' shoves up against the heatshield on one side, enough that I can't push the muffler any further beneath the car than I already have. Do you (or anyone else) know how you guys get these things mounted so far underneath?
      06-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #34
powertrip

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Damn bro...I'm still undecided on exhaust, but I'm leaning toward the Gintani. The Fabspeed x-pipe sounds great right now with the stock muffler, I'd highly recommend it as a nice little power mod. The Remus will connect with no problems since it bolts on to the very rear part of the exhaust (after cutting off the stock mufflers). RemusShop has the best price that I have found, plus you don't have to pay CA's ridiculously high sales tax with them .

Quote:

06-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #35
SoCalM3Mang

Some More Explanation Needed?

Quote:
For a great price, you can PM us

Dyno sheet:
Can you explain the cutting a bit more to me?

Why can't it be true "Axle Back" bolt on, like the RPI/Riss Racing or any other of the axle back exhausts?

And if you cut, how easy is it to go back to Stock assuming you want to do that down the road when selling/turning in your car?

And lastly, if you are cutting isn't there some risk of power loss because the BMW exhaust system is compromised?

As you know Matt, I had issues with my custom Remus exhaust installed from Triple AAA on my 550i. I'm definitely a bit reluctant to let anybody "cut" my exhaust in any way these days.

Assuage my fears?
08 BMW E93 6MT Jerez Black|HAMANN-ed|Lots of Carbon Fiber|Eibach E-93 Sprgs|Advan RS-D's 19x9+22/19x10+20|AA-SSK-Pulley|RPI Scoops-Red|RPI Axle Back Exhaust- Blacked Out Tips|Hamann Rep CF Lip-Diffuser-Trunk Spoiler||Hamaan Badging
      06-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #36
CampioniShop

Quote:
Can you explain the cutting a bit more to me?

Why can't it be true "Axle Back" bolt on, like the RPI/Riss Racing or any other of the axle back exhausts?

And if you cut, how easy is it to go back to Stock assuming you want to do that down the road when selling/turning in your car?

And lastly, if you are cutting isn't there some risk of power loss because the BMW exhaust system is compromised?

As you know Matt, I had issues with my custom Remus exhaust installed from Triple AAA on my 550i. I'm definitely a bit reluctant to let anybody "cut" my exhaust in any way these days.

Assuage my fears?
I can definately understand your fears.

Using clamps is extremely close to a bolt-on system. Instead of unbolting and bolting on the exhaust, you will simply need to unclamp (2 screws) and clamp back the OEM muffler in. At this point, it becomes more of a psychological barrier than anything else if proper equipment is used.

The only way you'd loose hp is through a bad installation of the clamps that resulted in pressure differences and leaks. That's a big IF as I've never heard of such a situation with any REMUS exhausts.
      06-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #37
SoCalM3Mang

"Almost There"

Quote:
I can definately understand your fears.

Using clamps is extremely close to a bolt-on system. Instead of unbolting and bolting on the exhaust, you will simply need to unclamp (2 screws) and clamp back the OEM muffler in. At this point, it becomes more of a psychological barrier than anything else if proper equipment is used.

The only way you'd loose hp is through a bad installation of the clamps that resulted in pressure differences and leaks. That's a big IF as I've never heard of such a situation with any REMUS exhausts.
Thank you!

"I'm Not Finished Yet" <in Al Pacino Accent>

Where is the "cutting" then? Is this "cutting" done by every single other axle back exhaust to remove the current BMW stock setup?

Any pictures or videos to demonstrate this?
      06-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #38
CampioniShop

Doesn't get much better than this

06-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #39
MDBimmer

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

looks like they deleted the sound to the video. any way to post it straight to the forum?
      06-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #40
CT-Bimmer
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan

E90..

Any pics with the Remus on an E90?! I was looking at a few others and noticed the tips on the Eisenmann stuck waaay to far out! Was hoping for anice flush fit like I see on the E92. Definitely considering this exhaust!

Thanks!

Mike

Mods: Gintani CB | Dinan Intake | Evo Pulley | HRE P40's | Eibach Springs | MS spacers | Matte grills | GP Thunder 7500 | Venture Clear bra
      06-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #41
powertrip

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Gintani. For a little more money than the Remus you get connecting pipes and great local support from Gintani themselves.

Quote:
Thank you!

"I'm Not Finished Yet" <in Al Pacino Accent>

Where is the "cutting" then? Is this "cutting" done by every single other axle back exhaust to remove the current BMW stock setup?

Any pictures or videos to demonstrate this?
      06-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #42
MC444
Enlisted Member

Drives: M3 DCT JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 S View Post
Personal preference. The wheel hp bump is small on both, so I chose the Sport because of its sound. The Race sounds great, but at 46 I'm too old to rattle the windows. The Sport sound is much better than stock.
+1.
I just had the sport fitted today and its loud enough, actually my son said its pretty loud ... coming from a 16 year old where nothing is usually loud enough.