BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
RL in Florida
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Convertible

Q for Tirerack rep: how come the high offsets on the online configurator

I'm looking for a wheel upgrade for my M3 and was using the Tirerack online configurator for BBS and Rays/Volk wheels.
The online configurator usually gives me a 35+ offset for the front and 25+ offset on the rear. But then it recommends spacers for the front, and sometimes for the rear.
Wouldnt it be preferable to go with a lower offset so you can skip the spacer, and get the wheel more flush with the fender?
It seems that you could safely go with an offset anywhere from 15 to 35 on the front (with a 8.5inch width).
So...question is: Does the Tirerack online configurator simply try to match the factory offset, which is why it gives high offsets, or does it consider other factors like wheel width, fenders, and such.

thanks in advance!
Rick
      06-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL in Florida View Post
I'm looking for a wheel upgrade for my M3 and was using the Tirerack online configurator for BBS and Rays/Volk wheels.
The online configurator usually gives me a 35+ offset for the front and 25+ offset on the rear. But then it recommends spacers for the front, and sometimes for the rear.
Wouldnt it be preferable to go with a lower offset so you can skip the spacer, and get the wheel more flush with the fender?
It seems that you could safely go with an offset anywhere from 15 to 35 on the front (with a 8.5inch width).
So...question is: Does the Tirerack online configurator simply try to match the factory offset, which is why it gives high offsets, or does it consider other factors like wheel width, fenders, and such.

thanks in advance!
Rick
It's probably because they don't stock the lower offsets. Try some other vendor on the board for M3 specific wheels.
      06-21-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
askiles
Major

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

They are doing that to be more conservative. They also stock the low offset wheels, they just don't list them for that car. I believe if you read the fine print, they provide spacers for you though. I think Tire Rack should allow you to search for wheels by sizes, not just make and model of car. Search for wheels for a 2008 M6, and you will get wheel that have good offsets for the E9x M3.

-Andy
      06-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
RL in Florida
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post
They are doing that to be more conservative. They also stock the low offset wheels, they just don't list them for that car. I believe if you read the fine print, they provide spacers for you though. I think Tire Rack should allow you to search for wheels by sizes, not just make and model of car. Search for wheels for a 2008 M6, and you will get wheel that have good offsets for the E9x M3.

-Andy
That's a great idea...thanks!
(Or I guess I could join the Monolites group buy for a perfect fit, right?)
      06-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
askiles
Major

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

PErfect fit is a relative term. To someone it is a perfect fit.

-Andy