BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

4.10 break in

is there a faster way to break in the 4.10? i know you have to do the 1200 miles then the fluids swap, but is there anything else i can do to break it in sooner? i thought i saw somthing on another post doing a figure 8 to break it in, is that right?
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

I don't think you need to do a break in since the diff really isn't new when you buy it. If you bought the Dinan diff it's only had the ring and pinion changed and break in isn't necessary. It's a diff that was returned by someone else. If you changed the gears on your current diff then you already know if you did the break in. The break in is for the clutches in the rear not the gears....

Correct me if I'm wrong??? I'm not positive on this.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
 
McLuVan's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

Posts: 13,120
iTrader: (1)

I think the figure 8 is for clutch type clutches, not sure though
__________________
McLuVan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

I don't really think the cars need to be broken in. At least that was what the BMW people tell me.

What I did was

1000KM = 622 miles keeping the revs under 4000 rpm

but when I get close to 622 miles I start pushing up 5000 rpm then little by little until I reach 622 miles. Right after I change the engine oil right away and added a couple bottles of X1R
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I don't really think the cars need to be broken in. At least that was what the BMW people tell me.

What I did was

1000KM = 622 miles keeping the revs under 4000 rpm

but when I get close to 622 miles I start pushing up 5000 rpm then little by little until I reach 622 miles. Right after I change the engine oil right away and added a couple bottles of X1R
im not talking about engine break in, im talking about the rear diff break in.
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I don't think you need to do a break in since the diff really isn't new when you buy it. If you bought the Dinan diff it's only had the ring and pinion changed and break in isn't necessary. It's a diff that was returned by someone else. If you changed the gears on your current diff then you already know if you did the break in. The break in is for the clutches in the rear not the gears....

Correct me if I'm wrong??? I'm not positive on this.
so i should be able to start running my car hard as soon as i pick it up with the new gears?
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiokenM3 View Post
im not talking about engine break in, im talking about the rear diff break in.
Sorry, There is not break in needed for the diff!!

I had a LSD installed my previous ride. I got the car in the afternoon and went to the race track the next day.
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Sorry, There is not break in needed for the diff!!

I had a LSD installed my previous ride. I got the car in the afternoon and went to the race track the next day.

right on eugene
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

so whats the reason for the oil change at 1200 miles?
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiokenM3 View Post
so whats the reason for the oil change at 1200 miles?
it's for the clutches in the rear diff.
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

so there wont be any damage if i start running my car hard?
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #12
stylinexpat
Captain
 
stylinexpat's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

Posts: 807
iTrader: (0)

I was doing donuts the second day after I had them installed in both my 130i and my old 330 ZHP No problems what so ever
stylinexpat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #13
CanM3
Private
 
CanM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 JB M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 82
iTrader: (0)

of course there is a break in with a new gear set......the ring and pinion have to establish a wear pattern on each other and they have to go thru a few heat cycles during this time period before they can be heavily loaded.
the oil change is designed to rid the oil of any metal contaminants that WILL be there after the break in cycle.
the engine rpm's really dont come into play as much as speed and acceleration. Whenever we installed new ring and pinions, the manufacturer would advise no hard acceleration for the first 500km's, no towing for the first 1000 km's, and no going over 120km/hr for the first 500 kms.
After picking up from the shop, try not to drive more than 100 kms and then let the vehicle sit for around 6 hrs.....to allow the diff to cool (a heat cycle).
The contact surfaces on a ring and pinion are surface hardened, if this hardening is damaged during breakin, when tolerances are tighter, the problems wont show up for some time.

You can get in a vehicle and romp on it right away, but the chances are higher of wiping the tooth contact areas on the gearset..

Also, the pinion bearings and diff case bearings need time to seat. They are installed with a pretty good preload on the bearings, so there will be alot of heat generated for the first little while. I'm sure the Dinan diffs have new bearings as well as a new gear set...they would probably go thru the diff case and inspect the posi internals as well as the spider/side gears..
CanM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanM3 View Post
of course there is a break in with a new gear set......the ring and pinion have to establish a wear pattern on each other and they have to go thru a few heat cycles during this time period before they can be heavily loaded.
the oil change is designed to rid the oil of any metal contaminants that WILL be there after the break in cycle.
the engine rpm's really dont come into play as much as speed and acceleration. Whenever we installed new ring and pinions, the manufacturer would advise no hard acceleration for the first 500km's, no towing for the first 1000 km's, and no going over 120km/hr for the first 500 kms.
After picking up from the shop, try not to drive more than 100 kms and then let the vehicle sit for around 6 hrs.....to allow the diff to cool (a heat cycle).
The contact surfaces on a ring and pinion are surface hardened, if this hardening is damaged during breakin, when tolerances are tighter, the problems wont show up for some time.

You can get in a vehicle and romp on it right away, but the chances are higher of wiping the tooth contact areas on the gearset..

Also, the pinion bearings and diff case bearings need time to seat. They are installed with a pretty good preload on the bearings, so there will be alot of heat generated for the first little while. I'm sure the Dinan diffs have new bearings as well as a new gear set...they would probably go thru the diff case and inspect the posi internals as well as the spider/side gears..

good point. thanks for sharing
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanM3 View Post
of course there is a break in with a new gear set......the ring and pinion have to establish a wear pattern on each other and they have to go thru a few heat cycles during this time period before they can be heavily loaded.
the oil change is designed to rid the oil of any metal contaminants that WILL be there after the break in cycle.
the engine rpm's really dont come into play as much as speed and acceleration. Whenever we installed new ring and pinions, the manufacturer would advise no hard acceleration for the first 500km's, no towing for the first 1000 km's, and no going over 120km/hr for the first 500 kms.
After picking up from the shop, try not to drive more than 100 kms and then let the vehicle sit for around 6 hrs.....to allow the diff to cool (a heat cycle).
The contact surfaces on a ring and pinion are surface hardened, if this hardening is damaged during breakin, when tolerances are tighter, the problems wont show up for some time.

You can get in a vehicle and romp on it right away, but the chances are higher of wiping the tooth contact areas on the gearset..

Also, the pinion bearings and diff case bearings need time to seat. They are installed with a pretty good preload on the bearings, so there will be alot of heat generated for the first little while. I'm sure the Dinan diffs have new bearings as well as a new gear set...they would probably go thru the diff case and inspect the posi internals as well as the spider/side gears..
good info, thanks. i guess i'll take it easy for a few hundred miles, then get on it
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
eeeboy
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08M3 Space Gray DCT
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Irvine

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Dinan told me easy the first 300 miles..
eeeboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,927
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeboy View Post
Dinan told me easy the first 300 miles..
Dinan told me and my installer 1200 miles, in writing. Since the installer was my dealer I stuck to that.

I'm glad to see that the thread is making some sense after a lot of bad information initially. This is a new gear set and DOES need break in.

BTW, how much added noise are you guys getting from your 4.10s? I'm getting a little gear whine on the overrun when in any gear other than sixth. It's not real loud, but you can indeed hear it. Changing the fluid after break in didn't really change the sound level.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
Green///Hell
Colonel
 
Green///Hell's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney/Chicago

Posts: 2,645
iTrader: (5)

CanM3 is right, on my last two diffs I did the same thing especially because they were Quaiffe's

Last one I was advised by Fall-Line after a full day of hard driving at the race track and cool down, I changed the fluid.

The seals for the diff case I think are still using a gel instead of an actual seal after it was updated on the E46
__________________
Green///Hell is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #19
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
KiokenM3's Avatar
 
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 1,507
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Dinan told me and my installer 1200 miles, in writing. Since the installer was my dealer I stuck to that.

I'm glad to see that the thread is making some sense after a lot of bad information initially. This is a new gear set and DOES need break in.

BTW, how much added noise are you guys getting from your 4.10s? I'm getting a little gear whine on the overrun when in any gear other than sixth. It's not real loud, but you can indeed hear it. Changing the fluid after break in didn't really change the sound level.

Dave

Right on dc, i'll follow the 1200 miles to be on the safe side
KiokenM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST