BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

06-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
What is drone exactly?
You have to experience it to know exactly what we're talking about, but it's basically an unwanted, 'booming' noise that drives you nuts in short order. Your cabin acts like a guitar at certain frequencies, usually between 1,500 and 3K rpms. A loud exhaust can be annoying inside even without drone (or outside the drone zone), but drone is what gives you headaches and makes you pull your hair out after a while (like on the highway). Not worth it anymore to me, especially on the M3 that sounds so nice compared to any other stock exhaust. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

To add to the drone description:

Drone is a cabin acoustic resonant mode excited by a peak in exhaust airborne noise output (at right around an undesireable frequency). The sound in the air, past the tip exit travels back through the vehicle. The noise level inside the cabin becomes very sensitive to small rpm changes (on/off resonance) and gets much louder in this narrow range. You can feel the bass, stereo like frequency everywhere in the cabin and it is super annoying. It is one hallmark of a poor acoustic design and poor design in general. It needs to be designed out unless you are very lucky. It used to be more common as folks (buyers and the companies manufacturing) just did not care or did not have the expertise to fix it. Luckily now you can find many M3 exhausts with no drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #25
TRZ06
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08' IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

Drone is a cabin acoustic resonant mode excited by a peak in exhaust airborne noise output (at right around an undesireable frequency). The sound in the air, past the tip exit travels back through the vehicle. The noise level inside the cabin becomes very sensitive to small rpm changes (on/off resonance) and gets much louder in this narrow range. You can feel the bass, stereo like frequency everywhere in the cabin and it is super annoying. It is one hallmark of a poor acoustic design and poor design in general. It needs to be designed out unless you are very lucky. It used to be more common as folks (buyers and the companies manufacturing) just did not care or did not have the expertise to fix it. Luckily now you can find many M3 exhausts with no drone.
Can you name a few that are KNOWN to not drone?
07' 335i E90: KWV2, H&R Sways, SSTT
01' & 04' Corvette Z06
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
askiles
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

The AA & Dinan are specifically made with Helmholtz chambers (similar to stock), so that they do not drone. I do not know personally if they do or not, but they were designed not to.

-Andy
      06-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #27
A-Man
Captain
South Africa
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

^ wat he said
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #28
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@IND View Post
Dinan
Eisenmann Sport
Bastuck Clubsport (old version)
+1 Nate
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #29
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Can you name a few that are KNOWN to not drone?

My Eisenmann Sport does not drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #30
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Vorsteiner Ti has been reported by multiple folks to have absolutely no drone. As others have posted there are many that don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #31
jml
Captain
Rep

Drives: E90M3

Reporting drone requires first that you know what it is.

Exhaust noise tuning is a little more involved than sticking $5 mufflers and polishing them with the hair of orphans and then posting videos of said muffler in an underground parking lot.

The purpose of a muffler is to control noise, you can assume the stock system is optimized for resonation control. There is a reason it is large and heavy.

With my cutouts open (i.e no muffler) at 2K and 4k excites different cabin rattles; one is the baby seat, and the other is the shoulder seat belt assembly. Other than that, most people think it sounds like pure sex. I don't need to lecture anyone on the the fact that sex can sometimes make rattles seen insignificant.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #32
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine

Garage List
I think my Fame Freiheit axle back is pretty quiet.
      06-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

Remus Sport is probably the quietest since it's TUV approved.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #34
MysticBlue
Major
Rep

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by askiles View Post
The AA & Dinan are specifically made with Helmholtz chambers (similar to stock), so that they do not drone. I do not know personally if they do or not, but they were designed not to.

-Andy
AA has some drone. Anything below 2000 RPM. I'm sure there is less than there would have been without the Helmhotz chambers, but they definitely didn't get rid of it completely. There's really no way of quantifying it, but it's enough to be somewhat annoying. Enough to make stuff rattle or buzz, like if I have any coins in the ashtray. But it does sound awesome under load at any RPM from the outside.

Last edited by MysticBlue; 06-14-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #35
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: EBII 2014 F31 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Remus Sport is probably the quietest since it's TUV approved.
+1 so is the Eisenmann Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #36
askiles
Major
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
AA has some drone. Anything below 2000 RPM. I'm sure there is less than there would have been without the Helmhotz chambers, but they definitely didn't get rid of it completely. There's really no way of quanitfying it, but it's enough to be somewhat annoying. Enough to make stuff rattle or buzz, like if I have any coins in the ashtray. But it does sound awesome under load at any RPM from the outside.
Good to know.

-Andy
      06-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #37
IRMthree
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 DCT M3

i think Tubi has a "quiet/Normal" version too
      06-14-2009, 03:27 AM   #38
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: e90 335i

stay stock
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #39
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3

Garage List
Thumbs up Get Remus Sport

Remus Sport cost less, looks good, no drone, and not to loud

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #40
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
AA has some drone. Anything below 2000 RPM. I'm sure there is less than there would have been without the Helmhotz chambers, but they definitely didn't get rid of it completely. There's really no way of quantifying it, but it's enough to be somewhat annoying. Enough to make stuff rattle or buzz, like if I have any coins in the ashtray. But it does sound awesome under load at any RPM from the outside.
I have AA with Fabspeed x-pipe and HFC's and I would say it doesn't drone. That doesn't mean you don't hear it inside the car. In fact it's fairly loud inside the car. But just cause you hear the exhaust doesn't mean there is drone. Drone is this annoying hummm sound from it that just resonates inside your head and is extremely annoying. I first had the Supersprint race mufflers with no aftermarket x-pipe and they were much quieter than the setup I have now. But the drone was unbearable at 2K RPM. As stated by others the whole car inside would have this vibrating buzz feeling. This doesn't happen at all with my current system
      06-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #41
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep

Drives: 2009 Space Gray M3 Sedan M-DCT

Zero drone with my Eisenmann Sport and HFC/Xpipe setup. Really quiet and unobtrusive at cruise speeds as well.
2009 Space Gray Carbon Leather E90 with DCT, Tech package, and EPS. Mods: Fabspeed 200 cell cats, Xpipe w/resonators and no secondary cats, BPM tune, Euro DCT software, Eisenmann Sport Mufflers, Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II, SWS8 subs, JL Audio XD400 bridged 2X200W, built in radar
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #42
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
I like this too, if I don't drive the car everyday. A loud exhaust is great when you are in the mood and want to tear it up. Problem is, there is no way to turn down an exhaust unless you buy something like the Kreisseig. It took me a lot of time to decide between the Race and Sport, but I am 100% happy I went with the Sport. My friend on this board has the race and it sounds amazing, just a bit too loud for a daily driver. He happens to really only drive his car on the weekends so it is perfect.

Another thing, if you have never had an exhaust on a car before, the Sport is perfect. If you go louder, you may end up regretting it later. Also, make sure you take into account whether you will be doing x-pipes or cat deletes later. All of this makes an exhaust louder. Some on this board have gone Eisenmann Race, liked it and then did an X-Pipe and complained it was too loud and ended up switching to a Eisenmann Sport to quiet things down. In the end, it is personal preference. I did the NYC midnight run this past Saturday and there was an M6 with us running an Einsenmann Race with straight Pipes. It was AMAZING sounding, but also EXTREMELY loud. In the Lincoln tunnel, it made peoples ears RING!!!!!!

I had a full catless set-up with a titanium cat-back on my Evo IX MR. It was obnoxiously LOUD and all my neighbors hated me for it. I had no regrets on it even though it took about a week or two to get used to.

Therefore I'm goin' catless on my M3 also. You just cannot beat the sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
stay stock
+1 Stay stock if you want no drone and quiet. It's not worth the extra money to get an aftermarkek exhaust if you wanna stay quiet.
Appreciate 0