BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
AZ-BMW
Captain
AZ-BMW's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
966
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sunny, Warm AZ

iTrader: (0)

Benz Competition for the M3 E90?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...&topart=luxury
I don't know, but it looks pretty impressive Even has a Launch Control function
Probably better suited as stiff competition for the M5!
__________________

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Robo Squirrel
Captain
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
992
Posts

 
Drives: C7
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

probably would be more comprable to an M5....looks pretty fugly if u ask me
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
98
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

They say this every single time and it never works out. It always ends up the same way: The Benz is quicker in a straight line but the BMW is much faster around a track and comes away as the truest driver's car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,206
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...&topart=luxury
I don't know, but it looks pretty impressive Even has a Launch Control function
Probably better suited as stiff competition for the M5!
The E90 M3 competition from Benz is the C63...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
djMpower
Private First Class
djMpower's Avatar
2
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: '03 G35 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Maybe this will turn out to be something that grows on you... but as it stands I think Mercedes epically fucked up on the new E class. I mean look at the thing, it's hideous! I really hope BMW can come up with something better than that for the next 5 series.
__________________
"When life passes you by, downshift!"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
Radiation Joe's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,749
Posts

 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
M3-DCT
Private
0
Rep
70
Posts

 
Drives: Toyota Corolla
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
Maybe this will turn out to be something that grows on you... but as it stands I think Mercedes epically fucked up on the new E class. I mean look at the thing, it's hideous! I really hope BMW can come up with something better than that for the next 5 series.
+100
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
AMJ_77
Captain
AMJ_77's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
667
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Holy shit that thing is fugly. Guess they wanted a sleeper look
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
djMpower
Private First Class
djMpower's Avatar
2
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: '03 G35 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)





I didn't know Hyundai was in Mercedes' sights for a look to aspire to...

Like seriously... come on MB. Shame.
__________________
"When life passes you by, downshift!"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
503Alex
Captain
503Alex's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
610
Posts

 
Drives: S30
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

The new M5 will be at least 555HP (X5/X5 M HP) so this may be slower in a straight line than the M5, as well as the track. Time will tell.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Robo Squirrel
Captain
Robo Squirrel's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
992
Posts

 
Drives: C7
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post




I didn't know Hyundai was in Mercedes' sights for a look to aspire to...

Like seriously... come on MB. Shame.
hahahahahaha, ditto!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
13,018
Posts

 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

side view looks like the a cadillac?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
96OCTNE
Private First Class
96OCTNE's Avatar
7
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

I agree this car is ugly, saw it in person at the NYIAS. I thought the M3 launch control was tedious...

Step 1. Fully depress brake pedal.
Step 2. Shift transmission to D.
Step 3. Switch electronic stability program to sport mode.
Step 4. Switch transmission to race-start mode.
Step 5. Click upshift paddle to confirm.
Step 6. Fully depress accelerator pedal.
Step 7. Release brake.

They need to develop a single red button covered by a protective glass casing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Chipped B6
Favorite ride of all time?: Blondes.
Chipped B6's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
1,092
Posts

 
Drives: Boooooost!
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Far away

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 228i Coupe  [0.00]
2013 ActiveHybrid 3  [0.00]
2014 M5  [2.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [4.80]
2011 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
The coupe version of the E-Class looks like the Sonata rear end even worse!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
SoreHead
Captain
SoreHead's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
866
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96OCTNE View Post
I agree this car is ugly, saw it in person at the NYIAS. I thought the M3 launch control was tedious...

Step 1. Fully depress brake pedal.
Step 2. Shift transmission to D.
Step 3. Switch electronic stability program to sport mode.
Step 4. Switch transmission to race-start mode.
Step 5. Click upshift paddle to confirm.
Step 6. Fully depress accelerator pedal.
Step 7. Release brake.

They need to develop a single red button covered by a protective glass casing.
Or under a flip up lid on top of the gear lever. Rat-at-at-at-at.

It is as bland as the C class. I wouldn't go as far as to say ugly though. Most MB cars are just boring looking cars. The SL isn't bad but it's aging a bit but other than that I can't think of a single car they make that I would want to own or look at.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
rapistwit
Banned
0
Rep
73
Posts

 
Drives: GT-R, Cayenne GTS, GT3 order
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fargo, ND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Or under a flip up lid on top of the gear lever. Rat-at-at-at-at.

It is as bland as the C class. I wouldn't go as far as to say ugly though. Most MB cars are just boring looking cars. The SL isn't bad but it's aging a bit but other than that I can't think of a single car they make that I would want to own or look at.

The newer Mercs are too squared off. They remind me of Sebrings



These Mercs aren't ugly though.






And the most beautiful of all:


Appreciate 0
      05-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
555
Rep
46,037
Posts

 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
E class is competition to 5 series. yes very ugly. now merc is copying lexus
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
MMMorish's Avatar
Canada
58
Rep
2,836
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

The 2010 E63 AMG kind of reminds me of...
Attached Images
 
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
stickypaws
Dictator
stickypaws's Avatar
22
Rep
1,817
Posts

 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

iTrader: (0)

fwiw, I went to the new W212 reception at the dealer's. 80% of the people there said the same thing: "Hyundai." Even the sales staff said, "well, this thing might get an early facelift."

It's the biggest reason why I bought the last of the best design. A classic and curvaceous 2009 E63. Too bad, 'cause the new one has some great advanced technology, but it just looks really boring.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
That's more of a competitor to the new F10 M5 and will probably fail......

The exterior is hideous and as others have pointed out, the back is from a Hyundai, and the front and the sides are from a Lexus. Way to go to ruin a classic Mercedes Benz design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
fwiw, I went to the new W212 reception at the dealer's. 80% of the people there said the same thing: "Hyundai." Even the sales staff said, "well, this thing might get an early facelift."

It's the biggest reason why I bought the last of the best design. A classic and curvaceous 2009 E63. Too bad, 'cause the new one has some great advanced technology, but it just looks really boring.
While the W211 body looks great, the earlier runs of productions were plagued by poor craftsmanship and constant engine / electrical problems. It wasn't until the 2006 model year that they finally had all the things sorted out. I was an owner of an '06 W211 E55 AMG. I agree that it is a great car and it has not seen much of the shop at all except of two extended body shop trip due to the incompetent dealership of Herb Chambers.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #21
stickypaws
Dictator
stickypaws's Avatar
22
Rep
1,817
Posts

 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
While the W211 body looks great, the earlier runs of productions were plagued by poor craftsmanship and constant engine / electrical problems. It wasn't until the 2006 model year that they finally had all the things sorted out. I was an owner of an '06 W211 E55 AMG. I agree that it is a great car and it has not seen much of the shop at all except of two extended body shop trip due to the incompetent dealership of Herb Chambers.
Ya, that's why I got the 2009. I've owned MBs in the past but skipped the 2000-2006 period (1998-2007; the "Chrysler era") My 1990s era cars were tanks. And the 2008-2009 are not too shabby either.

Another reason for avoiding the W212, other than it's body design, is the "new model" syndrome. I'd rather wait until the gremlins get worked out in successive builds.

Also, with the current economy I wonder what shortcuts are going to be made by all mfgs concerning quality.

And then there's the disgruntled workers who have had pay cuts and reduced benefits. And vendors who are running on shoestring budgets........
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Ya, that's why I got the 2009. I've owned MBs in the past but skipped the 2000-2006 period (1998-2007; the "Chrysler era") My 1990s era cars were tanks. And the 2008-2009 are not too shabby either.
Another reason for avoiding the W212, other than it's body design, is the "new model" syndrome. I'd rather wait until the gremlins get worked out in successive builds.

Also, with the current economy I wonder what shortcuts are going to be made by all mfgs concerning quality.

And then there's the disgruntled workers who have had pay cuts and reduced benefits. And vendors who are running on shoestring budgets........
You do realise that the 2009 Model E-Class generation was designed during the chrysler era

and the only difference for MY2009 is that the components were assembled by workers working under 100% mercedes management, who ironically enough probably also worked during the chrysler era! and on top of that components used should be pretty much the same (80-90% atleast) unless there was a facelift b/w the chrysler and modern merc era....probably not!

So to be very honest the new mercedes e-class will be produced components wise from the ground-up by the mercedes division. and perhaps when it was designed, there might have been some feedback from the chrysler division which explains the hideousness rear tail lights and the weird front end...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST