BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #45
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 551
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loseit View Post
just get the controller...it makes life a lot simpler.
Can you simply replace an 08 iDrive controller with one from an 09 system and have it work? Is it just Plug and Play (I can't believe it would be that easy)? I remember reading a post on here a few months ago saying that this is possible but I can't find it again.

If it is that simple I'm definitely going to look into how much the controller costs.
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #46
islandguy19
Starting Point Guard
 
islandguy19's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 AW M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alamo, CA

Posts: 251
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to islandguy19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
Can you simply replace an 08 iDrive controller with one from an 09 system and have it work? Is it just Plug and Play (I can't believe it would be that easy)? I remember reading a post on here a few months ago saying that this is possible but I can't find it again.

If it is that simple I'm definitely going to look into how much the controller costs.
the controller makes life so much easier in the cockpit haha!
__________________
islandguy19 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #47
2008e93M3lease
Private First Class
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: miami, fl

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguy19 View Post
I don't have this in writing yet, but I'm having my service rep get a quote for me (full breakdown). She said the service technician said around $11,000. Will post the quote in a few when I get my car back.
How the heck is that possible? The actual cost of all those components (shitty year 2004 processor, small lcd screen, cd drive, 80 gb hard drive) is likely less than 200 bucks for bmw. After they do their typical markup it's like $2500. How in the hell could it cost that much. Ridiculous.

This type of shit pisses me off. Nav systems are $100. I just hate the sloppy look and nonintegration so I'm stuck paying this exorbitant amount. Bah!
2008e93M3lease is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #48
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguy19 View Post
I don't have this in writing yet, but I'm having my service rep get a quote for me (full breakdown). She said the service technician said around $11,000. Will post the quote in a few when I get my car back.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=27
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #49
2008e93M3lease
Private First Class
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: miami, fl

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Technic, do you have a shop in ft lauderdale? I'm moving to Miami so I can visit you. How much do you want for labor? How much do you think I can get for my old idrive system?
2008e93M3lease is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #50
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008e93M3lease View Post
Technic, do you have a shop in ft lauderdale? I'm moving to Miami so I can visit you. How much do you want for labor? How much do you think I can get for my old idrive system?
The issue right now is that, regardless of getting all the parts and installing them (all the existing iDrive connectors did not change from 2008 to 2009), there is no official programming available to make this work, in case that there is a miscommunication of components once you plug the CIC.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to plug everything and see what happens. I think that the Nav system, radio, CD Player, HD Radio and HDD functions will work right out the bat, including the new iDrive controller. My guess is based in that the new controller works with the old iDrive, which tells me that the communication protocol data packets must be the same between the 2008 iDrive and the 2009 iDrive. So all the functions within the CIC should work without programming; at least the sucker should turn on once connected. However anything that communicates audio in or out the CIC may not (iPod USB, Assist, Sirius).

If the CIC unit comes not programmed by defaut to output audio (be digital or analog) then that will be the major problem that only programming can solve.

I don't know if the CIC can be ordered pre-programmed for a particular audio equipment configuration, as that would be perfect as then it could be really a plug 'n play swap. Nevertheless, if you can get a 2009 M3 configured audio-wise as yours then you could get your CIC programmed at the dealer in that M3 and then plug it in yours. Most probably the ID information of your Assist and the ESN of your the Sirius -if so equipped- will have to be programmed in that CIC while installed in that 2009.

In particular, the Assist TCU unit should be a GSM unit (production 04/08-on) to properly work with the CIC; old CDMA Assist TCUs (up to-03/08) may not work, or at least the Google Search feature will not be possible.

That could work, but then again it is just a guess.

Last edited by Technic; 04-16-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #51
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 551
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The issue right now is that, regardless of getting all the parts and installing them (all the existing iDrive connectors did not change from 2008 to 2009), there is no official programming available to make this work, in case that there is a miscommunication of components once you plug the CIC.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to plug everything and see what happens. I think that the Nav system, radio, CD Player, HD Radio and HDD functions will work right out the bat, including the new iDrive controller. My guess is based in that the new controller works with the old iDrive, which tells me that the communication protocol data packets must be the same between the 2008 iDrive and the 2009 iDrive. So all the functions within the CIC should work without programming; at least the sucker should turn on once connected. However anything that communicates audio in or out the CIC may not (iPod USB, Assist, Sirius).

....SNIP
Technic,

Are you saying that the new iDrive controller can be swapped in for the old one and it will work without any programming at the dealer needed?

Is it as simple as a swap - remove the controller from the panel, unplug the old controller, plug in the new one and insert back into the panel?
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #52
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
Technic,

Are you saying that the new iDrive controller can be swapped in for the old one and it will work without any programming at the dealer needed?

Is it as simple as a swap - remove the controller from the panel, unplug the old controller, plug in the new one and insert back into the panel?
Yes, but you need a new console trim panel to mount that new controller. The new controller is available to order right now, but not that new console trim panel as of today, though.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #53
Atny286
First Lieutenant
 
Atny286's Avatar
 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

Posts: 362
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Yes, but you need a new console trim panel to mount that new controller. The new controller is available to order right now, but not that new console trim panel as of today, though.
So, the controller [65 82 9 189 048] has been available since January and the panel has yet to come out???

Anyone knows the P/N of the panel?

Thanks!
A.
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Atny286 is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #54
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
 
Alex///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Halifax

Posts: 551
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Yes, but you need a new console trim panel to mount that new controller. The new controller is available to order right now, but not that new console trim panel as of today, though.
Thanks for the response Technic. It's kind of a good news bad news response.

Is there an ETA for when the console panel will be available?

When the new controller is installed, will all the shortcut buttons work?

Does anyone know how much the new controller costs?
__________________
2008 AW E90 M3 - current
2002 TIAG E46 M3 - gone
1991 DiamondSchwartz E30 M3 - gone but not forgotten
Alex///M is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #55
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
So, the controller [65 82 9 189 048] has been available since January and the panel has yet to come out???

Anyone knows the P/N of the panel?

Thanks!
A.
Six speed: 51 16 7 903 960

I don't know the P/N of the M-DCT console.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #56
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex///M View Post
Thanks for the response Technic. It's kind of a good news bad news response.

Is there an ETA for when the console panel will be available?

When the new controller is installed, will all the shortcut buttons work?

Does anyone know how much the new controller costs?
No ETA... cheapest price of the controller is $184 at United BMW. The trim panel MSRP is $360 before any discounts.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #57
tma1c
Lieutenant
 
tma1c's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E93 6MT M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: philly

Posts: 567
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to tma1c
I had an 08 5 series as a lowner and it had the new 09' controller with the old software and it seemed to work fine
tma1c is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #58
jlaw
nuh nuh nuh gone
 
jlaw's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

I spoke to Jason @ Tischer a few weeks ago about this and he said he thought the trim was available then. Someone might check with him...
__________________

2008 E92 M3 MT6 AW/FR/Carbon | AA | VRS | Forgestar

"I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
jlaw is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #59
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaw View Post
I spoke to Jason @ Tischer a few weeks ago about this and he said he thought the trim was available then. Someone might check with him...
Unfortunately it is not... since January.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #60
Atny286
First Lieutenant
 
Atny286's Avatar
 
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Amsterdam

Posts: 362
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Thanks Technic

When I search on Realoem.com I get this pic on the number you provided:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&fg=35&hl=71

Not sure it fits with the new knob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Six speed: 51 16 7 903 960

I don't know the P/N of the M-DCT console.
__________________

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Atny286 is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #61
aussiem3
Major
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,453
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 F25 X3 30d  [0.00]
Hi Technic

I have been following this thread with great interest. So what you're saying is that the new iDrive controller (with individual buttons) will work with the old (07 to LCI) iDrive system? Do I need to purchase a new wiring harness to mate the new controller to the old system or will the existing harness be fine. Thanks for your informative input so far.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune
2011 F25 X3 3.0d
aussiem3 is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #62
youyou
Colonel
 
youyou's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

Posts: 2,446
iTrader: (0)

Any updates?
Still waiting impatiently for some sort of solution...
__________________
Retired-1996 Porsche C4S Polar Silver
Retired-2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cab Basalt Black
Retired - 2010 S5 Cabriolet Ibis White
Retired - 2008 M3 E93 Alpine White
Retired - 2007 335 E92 Alpine White
youyou is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #63
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Hi Technic

I have been following this thread with great interest. So what you're saying is that the new iDrive controller (with individual buttons) will work with the old (07 to LCI) iDrive system? Do I need to purchase a new wiring harness to mate the new controller to the old system or will the existing harness be fine. Thanks for your informative input so far.
The console is available to order since last week, the cheapest price that I found is $275 from United BMW.

I should receive the new controller and console in a couple of weeks (there is none in stock in the USA) according to United.

There is nothing else to buy so far... it is plug 'n play to the existing connectors and no re-coding is required for the new controller to work with the iDrive version with the programmable shortcut buttons. It doesn't work with the first iDrive version in the 3-Series.

The rest of the retrofit parts are becoming more expensive since this month... the new HD screen price was raised by BMW in almost 80%, from around $1000 to some $1800 retail, plus a $500 core charge still.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #64
youyou
Colonel
 
youyou's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal

Posts: 2,446
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The console is available to order since last week, the cheapest price that I found is $275 from United BMW.

I should receive the new controller and console in a couple of weeks (there is none in stock in the USA) according to United.

There is nothing else to buy so far... it is plug 'n play to the existing connectors and no re-coding is required for the new controller to work with the iDrive version with the programmable shortcut buttons. It doesn't work with the first iDrive version in the 3-Series.

The rest of the retrofit parts are becoming more expensive since this month... the new HD screen price was raised by BMW in almost 80%, from around $1000 to some $1800 retail, plus a $500 core charge still.

Raised by 80%!!!! Wow! What the hell...
So what exactly is the point of getting the new controller? I mean will it make that much of a difference to you? Isn't it the actual system that matters the most?
Personally like our Brushed aluminum Idrive knob...
__________________
Retired-1996 Porsche C4S Polar Silver
Retired-2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Cab Basalt Black
Retired - 2010 S5 Cabriolet Ibis White
Retired - 2008 M3 E93 Alpine White
Retired - 2007 335 E92 Alpine White
youyou is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #65
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,864
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The console is available to order since last week, the cheapest price that I found is $275 from United BMW.

I should receive the new controller and console in a couple of weeks (there is none in stock in the USA) according to United.

There is nothing else to buy so far... it is plug 'n play to the existing connectors and no re-coding is required for the new controller to work with the iDrive version with the programmable shortcut buttons. It doesn't work with the first iDrive version in the 3-Series.

The rest of the retrofit parts are becoming more expensive since this month... the new HD screen price was raised by BMW in almost 80%, from around $1000 to some $1800 retail, plus a $500 core charge still.
The radio/nav module might be a different story, here's the connections of the MY09 unit:

__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #66
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,787
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The radio/nav module might be a different story, here's the connections of the MY09 unit:

With the exception of the USB harness (glovebox) and the video cable to the screen (both are sold separately), every other connector is the same/same pin assignments between the CIC and the CCC.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST