BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Lux Angel Eyes

04-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
lucid
Major General

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
The effective spring rates are variable. I haven't looked at the Dinan springs but will assume that they may be rising rate as well. Since the bumpstops contribute significantly to the spring rates, publishing a spring rate may not be particularly helpful.
I think the most important take away when looking at the Dinan springs is that since they don't lower the car very much, the suspension geometry remains closer to optimum. The slightly higher spring rate helps out somewhat, but that is not something that can be easily quantified.
Good point. One can get the force/displacement curves on the springs and stops separetely and put them together though. But you are right that suspension geometry would have to be taken into account to model the effective rates, and that would involve some work.
      04-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #46
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350

Garage List
Spring costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Very nice. I am considering this setup myself. Would you mind PM'ing me how much your spring and install cost? I got a quote from Dinan and it was STEEP. Also, are you satisfied with your setup now that you have had a few days to play around with it?
I'm getting the 15% rebate Dinan is offering through tomorrow on the spring purchase ($899 list). The installation I got through a local tuner for an extremely reasonable $250. I have not had it aligned yet, but place this shop uses would charge $129.00 for that, so $379 total. Dealer wanted over $1k! The aftermarket shop's owner told me something like, "Yeah, we could pay the mechanic to stand around for a few hours, but it's really not that hard a job." I appreciated that honesty, which is why I'll go back there for other mods.

I just had the installation done yesterday, so only 20 miles on the springs so far. First impresions are that there is not much change in ride quality, and handles fine over speed bumps, etc.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
      04-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #47
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: CSL

Quote:
I have been following all the threads regarding after market spring with EDC. I want to get some after market springs but want to ensure my warranty is not affected and that I am actually gaining something other than looks (although I do like the look of a slightly lower than stock M3). I have a few questions for those who have this setup.

1. How long have you had the setup (miles / years)?

2. Have you had any issues with the dealership and the associated warranty?

3. Do the springs improve performance both on the street and on track?

4. Is the ride harsher?

5. Any problems as a result of the springs?
1) Had a set of H&R springs for four months/6000 miles.

2) No warranty issues at all, this is not something that even comes close to voiding the warranty--it's simply taking the old springs out and putting new one in.

3) The do improve performance on track, they make it much more flat when during aggressive direction change.

4) The ride is a little bit more harsh, but its still very comfortable in the comfort setting.

5) Only problem so far has been clearance issues, for example my dumbass dealer bottomed my car out and broke the plastic skid plate underneath. This isn't that big a deal as they replaced it (though I had to make them do it) and now that I'm past 15,000 miles I don't plan on getting the dealer to do any more work on my car any way.

For the money, its the best mod that you can do. I would go with H&R over any others as they are tired and true and many on this forum can vouch for the quality. Hope this helps--JC
JC919 is offline   United_States
      04-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #48
dcstep
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
I'm sorry to see that jc's HR springs are already "tired" after only 6,000 miles, but that's a risk you take. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

I think that the only warranty worry with a spring change is the OEM shocks, perhaps, failing sooner. However, so long as the shock doesn't bottom, I don't think it's a huge worry and I suspect that the bump stops will prevent bottoming. Higher rate springs actually take jounce work off the spring, but add rebound stress. I can't imagine that being way outside the OEM shock parameters. The shock traveling over a 1" shorter range is no big deal, so long as it's not bottoming.

Dave
      04-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #49
rav7ks
First Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Springs were installed today. The few miles I drove showed it to be a very civil kit, and the ride height is noticeabley lower, though not over the top. No wierd noises, either. Here are before & after pics. I'll get more once I have my spacers installed next week.
I agree with Greg as I've lowered my other car 0.75 inches and even though it's not much of a drop, you do notice the car sitting lower than stock. Subtle but still noticeable.
      04-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #50
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Since I didn't do the installation, I don't know. Do you need to remove the struts from the mounts to install springs? I thought you could do it by just taking the top hat off? http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...70&postcount=1
That is done only if you really force the whole assembly way, way down to clear the strut top hat from the fender.

I personally could not forced it down that much, so I ended up using spring compressors to remove the whole strut from the car.

It looks to me that the fronts with the new springs are exactly the same height as the stock look, which could be that the struts are not all the way down by .5" inches, the same measure as the location of that tab in that strut when it is hitting the sleeve edge instead of inside the slot.
Technic is offline   United_States
      04-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #51
Manny212
Captain

Drives: 2008 M3

Send a message via AIM to Manny212
Just got H&R installed this past Sunday. Car looks way better and drives beautifully. I always rode with EDC on Normal and still do with the H&R and i'm being honest when i say i can't really feel the difference in comfort. I love the way it rides. I'll also mention that i no longer get the steering wheel vibration at 80MPH like i used to with the OEM setup. I do have something loose in the rear end, probably sway bar bolts but am going back to the shop to retighten. Overall though, can't go wrong with H&R or springs in general

2008 E92///M3 - | Alpine White/Fox Red Extended Novillo | Technology | Premium | Cold |
Mods: | 19" Avante Garde | Macht Schnell Filter | RPi Scoops | Rogue SSK | MS Spacers | ACM Test Pipes | ESS Tune | Remus Race | LUX V4 Angels | KW V3 |
Manny212 is offline   United_States
      04-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #52
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It looks to me that the fronts with the new springs are exactly the same height as the stock look, which could be that the struts are not all the way down by .5" inches, the same measure as the location of that tab in that strut when it is hitting the sleeve edge instead of inside the slot.
Bad photo comparison, trust me. I've been looking at this car for 13 1/2 months, and the front is definitely lower now. If someone gives me some stock measurements from fender lip to wheel lip, I can compare.

2012 ML350
      04-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #53
askiles
Major

Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan - Alpine White

I just installed a set of H&R Sports on my 08 M3 Coupe last night, and it is amazing. It only took me about 4 hours, with a 45 minute dinner break in between. Part of the time I could not use my pneumatic tools, as my 7 month old was sleeping. It would have been shorter if I could have used my air tools the whole time. Oh well. Install was pretty easy, and the results are amazing. The drop in the rear is exactly right. My 305-30-19's fit under there perfect on my 360 Forged wheels. I can't wait to see how my 360 Forged's look in the front. Right now they are at 360 being rebuilt. Soon enough though.

I do have EDC, and to me the ride seems a lot better. Granted, I have only driven it about 30 miles so far, but in that time, I really like it. IT is definitely not a harsher ride in any way. I drive mostly with the EDC set to Sport at all times, and it feels about the same as far as rigididty.

-Andy
      04-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #54
gixxer_kidd
Major

Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Anyone have the torque specs for all the nuts and bolts removed for the install?
      04-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #55
knifegun
Major

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
Anyone have the torque specs for all the nuts and bolts removed for the install?
I would like to know this as well.

I ordered Dinan springs and am going to get them installed next week. Those of you who have installed the springs yourself, how much do you pay for an alignment? Is there anything special about the M3s alignment vs. a standard car?

Additionally, those who have the springs, have you changed the camber from the factory settings? From what I understand, you have some adjustability on both the front and rear camber.
knifegun is offline   Turkmenistan
      04-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #56
FrenchBoy
Major

Drives: '09 E90 M3

Quote:
I would like to know this as well.

I ordered Dinan springs and am going to get them installed next week. Those of you who have installed the springs yourself, how much do you pay for an alignment? Is there anything special about the M3s alignment vs. a standard car?

Additionally, those who have the springs, have you changed the camber from the factory settings? From what I understand, you have some adjustability on both the front and rear camber.
Take Photos!

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
FrenchBoy is offline   France
      04-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #57
Epacy2
Major

Drives: M3/X5

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Whoa!!!! Dinan springs are $899??? Please tell me I misinterpreted that Greg.
      05-01-2009, 12:39 AM   #58
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183005
      05-01-2009, 08:22 AM   #59
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Garage List
Dinan springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
Whoa!!!! Dinan springs are $899??? Please tell me I misinterpreted that Greg.
Nope--you got it right. $764 after the rebate that just ended. Of course, they do come with the new low profile spring hats (for increased travel) and revised bump stops, and perhaps a little better warranty coverage if your shocks were to go out and they blame it on the springs.

I got them mainly because I wanted a fairly conservative, but lower, setup.

2012 ML350
      05-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #60
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
I really want to go with something that is lower than Dinan but I read their whitepaper about their design and it stands to reason. So if you have the Dinan setup and something goes wrong with your EDC shock who replaces it under warranty? BMW or Dinan?

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order - 10/28 PCD
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is offline   United_States
      05-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #61
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

Hey Greg,

Did the Dinan package come with rear bumpstops as well? On the web site it says "Matching Font and Rear Bump-Stops".

Thanks!
      05-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #62
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Hey Greg,

Did the Dinan package come with rear bumpstops as well? On the web site it says "Matching Font and Rear Bump-Stops".

Thanks!
No, it did not. I had not noticed that. I will check into it.

Edit 5/12 10:50 am: Dinan says I should have gotten them, and they will send them.

2012 ML350

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 05-12-2009 at 12:50 PM.