BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
biscuits
Dimmer than a dim thing
 
Drives: C63 AMG Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 1,278
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Can anyone give me a quick idiot guide to using/programming/getting best out of DAB - please?? Ta!!
Select ENTERTAINMENT

Select FM

Sorted
biscuits is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #24
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Mmmm, yeh fanks!!???
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #25
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
 
M3-FAST's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

Posts: 5,790
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Personally i think EDC is pretty much essential and without doubt will be a factor when it comes to resale value. Yet again i think its a case of BMW talking out of their arseholes as per usual to make sales.
But at the end of the day these cars are leased and will have to be resold by BMW in x years time when they go back. They obviously believe that 19's and DCT are gonna be the two essentials. Many owners will add EDC to the shopping list but as I am prob never gonna track my car I spent the money on options I would get more use out of instead.
M3-FAST is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2009, 03:48 AM   #26
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I can only comment on what i was both told and read myself - i did a huge amount of research before i bought my M3 and rang after so many before choosing mine. I have an equally good and long standing relationship with the DP and sales team at my local stealer and with nothing to gain they all said they wouldnt buy an M3 personally with their own money that didnt have EDC among other options - and the 2 main reasons were that they were noticing that almost every customer that rang about approved used M3's were walking away if the car didnt have EDC, regardless of price. By the same token customers that rang about cars and said they were only interested in say Black, White, Grey etc and have to have 19's, CF trim etc etc were managing to be sold into other colours with 18's and different trim etc because they had EDC at the top end of their list of must haves. I can vouch for that as i almost gave up searching for an AW car and found a Melbourne Red with EDC and options for a similar price - thankfully it was sold!! The second factor re EDC is that, forget track days when admittedly it comes into its own, our UK roads are so shite that it also is imperative for that comfort ride it provides - its so nice to have that switchable option from nutter hard mode to relaxed and luxurious. I dont buy my cars on finance etc, i always buy them outright cash and so i always make sure they are as fully specced as possible to help when i sell them on - as there is nothing worse than knowing you have a great car for sale but struggle to sell or have to lower the price because you keep getting numptys saying "does it have the ejector seat option?" when the ad clearly makes no mention of it - a bit extreme but you get my point. At the end of the day you can buy an M3 with 18's and easily and cheaply put 19's on and you can retrofit PDC or upgrade stereos potentially. But you cant do anything about EDC etc. That said, i would probably have bought the DCT if i could have found an AW in my price range at the time - but again, its a drivers choice and i dont consider it to be an essential as some buyers will only want manual and some will only want DCT. I think most that do any research will want EDC. You'll always find (because ive done this myself with cars ive owned in the past!!) that owners that dont have a certain option on their own car will swear blind to prospective buyers and themselves its not worth the money or a must have option etc. But its only my humble opinion and i cant even use my DAB radio properly!!! Its an awsome bit of kit however its specced - so just enjoy!!!
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #27
Hitman999
Lieutenant
 
Hitman999's Avatar
 
Drives: Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to Hitman999
Thanks for your comments bmwbailey.

I have been looking at the BMW Approved used M3's and you notice that the ones without EDC seem to be hanging around and not selling. I saw one last week with everything I wanted including EDC but it sold the day I was going down to see it! Still I have a few stealers looking out for the spec I want.

What sort of deal did you get on your car?
__________________


On Order: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange.

Hitman999
Hitman999 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #28
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman999 View Post
I notice that the ones without EDC seem to be hanging around and not selling.
Exactly my point and it was the same thing when i was looking for mine. And as you say, the fully loaded examples WITH the EDC option pretty much fly off the shelves. I didnt really get an amazing deal on my car because it was and is a very sought after example being white and fully loaded etc - so had to pay the premium to have it - that said prices seem to be rising a little so i very much doubt i will lose any money on it if i sell within a year, especially since ive personalised it somewhat!! Good luck with your search and dont scrimp on the options you want just to get into any old car - be patient and the right one will turn up!!
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #29
Hitman999
Lieutenant
 
Hitman999's Avatar
 
Drives: Mercedes C220 CDi Sport Saloon
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to Hitman999
You are right ... the key is to wait for the right car. With the high price of these cars you don't really want to compromise on any of the options you want.
__________________


On Order: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange.

Hitman999
Hitman999 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #30
themetz
smokin' kipper
 
themetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
I can only comment on what i was both told and read myself - i did a huge amount of research before i bought my M3 and rang after so many before choosing mine. I have an equally good and long standing relationship with the DP and sales team at my local stealer and with nothing to gain they all said they wouldnt buy an M3 personally with their own money that didnt have EDC among other options - and the 2 main reasons were that they were noticing that almost every customer that rang about approved used M3's were walking away if the car didnt have EDC, regardless of price.
and miraculously by telling you that they got you to spend another 2k+ with them... maybe they've been on the course on how to make the customer think they're your mate and doing you a favour letting you in on a "dealer-only secret"... ker-ching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
You'll always find (because ive done this myself with cars ive owned in the past!!) that owners that dont have a certain option on their own car will swear blind to prospective buyers and themselves its not worth the money or a must have option etc.
I don't have EDC, had a car for a couple of days with it on and couldn't really see the point - but happy to recommend if you think it's worth it. Don't buy a car for the next bloke that's going to own it - buy it for yourself and enjoy it all the way - christ, if you're going to spend this much money on a car you really are walking up the wrong alley if you're going to be too concerned about residuals and running costs. If you want EDC and think it'll change your life then do it. If you want DCT tick the box. And if you get DAB, maybe it might be worth 5 seconds to consult the manual to see how to use it - otherwise what's the point???

Last edited by themetz; 05-09-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
themetz is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #31
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
I don't have EDC
Surprise, surprise!!! You didnt see the point of buying a car with EDC because you obviously have little or no idea how to drive - is more likely the reason!

You've probably got wood trim in yours too!!!
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #32
themetz
smokin' kipper
 
themetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Surprise, surprise!!! You didnt see the point of buying a car with EDC because you obviously have little or no idea how to drive - is more likely the reason!

You've probably got wood trim in yours too!!!
hahahahahahaha.....yes, that's it...I have no idea how to drive (but I can tune a radio )

You're obviously the righteous one to teach us all.

BTW, carbon leather trim - nice try though !

I bet you look a peach in your AW

tee hee hee.

ps. shall we start a new thread!

Last edited by themetz; 05-09-2009 at 03:39 PM.
themetz is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #33
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
I bet you look a peach in your AW

tee hee hee.
"peach??" and "tee hee hee?" - forget wood trim, i think pink fluffy trim is more appropriate for you young lady!!! Sadly, i'd imagine you look truly forgettable in your.... what colour is that anyway .... "navy" bland blue??.... hey ho sailor, bet that colour choice took a lot of deliberating over!! Tee hee hee... WTF!!!!????
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
willhollin
Major General
 
willhollin's Avatar
 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

Posts: 9,907
iTrader: (1)

Garage List


There's definitely more action over here these days.
willhollin is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #35
Gibbo
Colonel
 
Gibbo's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Ed35
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South East

Posts: 2,292
iTrader: (0)

Can you get wood trim on an M3?
__________________
Golf Ed35 Black with - Black Leather
Gibbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #36
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Apologies to Hitman, the OP, this has gone off topic and become somewhat childish - themetz has certainly made his point and its only his 7th post - not bad going!!! Anyway, i still stand by my original statement that i personally believe EDC is a very important option and should be seriously considered from a drivers point of view. I hope Hitman finds the car that ticks the right boxes for him.
Ps; Gibbo - i get enough "wood" at work - last thing i want is it in my car as well!!
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #37
DonM3
Captain
 
Drives: AW e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: London

Posts: 629
iTrader: (1)

yep and it looks terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Can you get wood trim on an M3?
DonM3 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #38
themetz
smokin' kipper
 
themetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
"peach??" and "tee hee hee?" - forget wood trim, i think pink fluffy trim is more appropriate for you young lady!!! Sadly, i'd imagine you look truly forgettable in your.... what colour is that anyway .... "navy" bland blue??.... hey ho sailor, bet that colour choice took a lot of deliberating over!! Tee hee hee... WTF!!!!????


Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
I hope Hitman finds the car that ticks the right boxes for him.
+1
themetz is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #39
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
 
M3-FAST's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

Posts: 5,790
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Surprise, surprise!!! You didnt see the point of buying a car with EDC because you obviously have little or no idea how to drive - is more likely the reason!

You've probably got wood trim in yours too!!!
So people that don't spec EDC can't drive Steve?? Don't really get your point here?



So was your CSL sh!te because it didn't have EDC??
M3-FAST is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #40
Hoops
Brigadier General
 
Hoops's Avatar
 
Drives: Merc E350 Sport Estate (265)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: TOWIE, Chigwell

Posts: 3,653
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Red - dont be a cock mate - you havent specced your car with EDC - good on you and well done, who gives a fuck?? I have got EDC and a FULLY loaded car to boot, woopy fucking do and again, who gives a fuck?? This has become a pointless subject and i think pretty much everyone reading this tired of it long ago. Im not a fucking mug so dont treat me like one by talking crap about the CSL and EDC. I owned a CSL - have you?? And before you jump on yet another band wagon - my issue was with themetz and his comment about him trying a car with EDC for a day and deciding in his infinite wisdom that it wasnt worth it - and my "light hearted" retort was aimed at the fact that he couldnt possibly know what hes talking about if hes given it a day to decipher what BMW technicians have probably taken years to develop!!
It strikes me you are a far more bothered about the fact you havent got EDC than i am!!! Maybe he protesteth too much!!?? You ordered yours without EDC - live with it!!! I on the other hand dont need to concern myself with the issue because i DO have EDC and im very pleased about it, thanks all the same!!
__________________
Hoops is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #41
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
 
Neil McRae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E92 / BMW ///M5 F10
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London

Posts: 1,859
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW M5  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to Neil McRae
lol

where is the handbag smiley

one thing to note the manual cars outnumber DCT cars on AUCS but almost 2:1!
__________________
--
Neil J. ///McRae -- Alive and Kicking -- neil at DOMINO.ORG ///M5 ARMY
M3 DCT Alpine White -- M5 DCT Alpine White -- M135i Alpine White -- M4 DCT Alpine White on order!
Neil McRae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #42
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
 
M3-FAST's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

Posts: 5,790
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
Red - dont be a cock mate - you havent specced your car with EDC - good on you and well done, who gives a fuck?? I have got EDC and a FULLY loaded car to boot, woopy fucking do and again, who gives a fuck?? This has become a pointless subject and i think pretty much everyone reading this tired of it long ago. Im not a fucking mug so dont treat me like one by talking crap about the CSL and EDC. I owned a CSL - have you?? And before you jump on yet another band wagon - my issue was with themetz and his comment about him trying a car with EDC for a day and deciding in his infinite wisdom that it wasnt worth it - and my "light hearted" retort was aimed at the fact that he couldnt possibly know what hes talking about if hes given it a day to decipher what BMW technicians have probably taken years to develop!!
It strikes me you are a far more bothered about the fact you havent got EDC than i am!!! Maybe he protesteth too much!!?? You ordered yours without EDC - live with it!!! I on the other hand dont need to concern myself with the issue because i DO have EDC and im very pleased about it, thanks all the same!!
Steve, please dont call me a cock 'mate' - You seem to take many threads on here VERY personally indeed. It is a forum where we should be chatting and expressing views as well as giving advice etc but not on a derogatory level.

I didn't want EDC on my car, never did and prob never will. I certainly don't at the moment and was more happy to have the logic 7 sound with the money instead. Just beacuse someone who has not got it and has a view that they don't want the option, does not make them wrong, neither does it make them a bad driver etc,.

Yes, I know you were having a go at the other forum member, but he was only expressing his view. I don't care that you have owned a CSL. Hardly gonna make me 'jealous' with 56k of M3 about to land on my drive is it 'mate'. My point was is that EDC is a VERY new option. Previous M3's have not had it and they were brilliant cars. There is no reason why a current M3 without it also can't be a brilliant car?

I thought better of you tbh, especially after the few PM's etc and advice about the CF bits that I pointed you in the right direction of.

Live and learn eh
M3-FAST is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #43
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
 
M3-FAST's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

Posts: 5,790
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
lol

where is the handbag smiley

one thing to note the manual cars outnumber DCT cars on AUCS but almost 2:1!
Course they will! DCT boxes have been out a relatively short amount of time in comaprison to the manuals. In 2 yrs time I reckon DCT's will outnumber manuals by at least the same amount?
M3-FAST is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      05-12-2009, 02:33 AM   #44
themetz
smokin' kipper
 
themetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbailey View Post
my issue was with themetz and his comment about him trying a car with EDC for a day and deciding in his infinite wisdom that it wasnt worth it
Just to clarify, in case of further misunderstanding, I drove a car with EDC and a car without EDC for 2 days each, doing my regular daily driving in an effort to replicate how I felt I would use the car, and concluded that I would prefer to spend MY 1,200 elsewhere (as it happens, on stereo upgrades)

TBH it's not me that seems to be dishing out infinite wisdom in this thread.

I wasn't at all suggesting I know better than anyone else - far from it. Hitman had asked for other peoples opinions to draw his own conclusions - I was just contributing my opinion for him to digest as he chose (isn't that the point of a forum??).

Each to their own.

Anyway, have you had your test drive Hitman??? How did you get on?? Have you specced the car of your dreams?? And dare I ask, EDC or not!!!!!!!!

PEACE

Last edited by themetz; 05-12-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: typos (and lots of them)
themetz is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST