BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

05-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Can you program the community gate remote to the garage opener?

I did a search but couldn't find the answer.
I tried programming my community gate opener to the garage opener, but I just could not get it to register. Does our garage opener in the mirror only works for garage doors?
My community gate opener is the little 1 button square thing on the keychain. I hate having to always pull it out of my pocket when I have CA so keys stay in my pocket most of time...
      05-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

i've had it work for community gates
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mora E46, Tanzanite G20 M340i

I had a TON of trouble with this same issue on my sis' 2007 e90. Although mine would register the remote. It just has TERRIBLE range.
      05-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim View Post
I did a search but couldn't find the answer.
I tried programming my community gate opener to the garage opener, but I just could not get it to register. Does our garage opener in the mirror only works for garage doors?
My community gate opener is the little 1 button square thing on the keychain. I hate having to always pull it out of my pocket when I have CA so keys stay in my pocket most of time...
i was just researching this a few days ago, because i park in a community garage as well. the answer is: possibly. for my situation, it cannot be done. my garage uses a DKS microplus transmitter which has a rolling code that cannot be copied. The microplus transmitter is directly linked to the receiver, and there is no way to replicate it. You'll need to look up the literature on your actual transmitter in order to know whether it is possible. Homelink is pretty capable, but you're SOL if you have a system like mine.
      05-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

I tried with out success on my 550i, my 750i, and have not even considered trying to program the M3. In fact, there is also a stick - on thing for the windshield which is supposed to make the gate recognize the car, and open. BMW's windshield have some kind of coating which prevents this from working also. Apparently the same problem with glass exists on Mercedes and some Lexus.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

If your community gate has a rolling code, which it almost certainly does, you'll need to follow the programming sequence in the manual for rolling codes. In order to do that you'll need access to the "learn" or "program" button on the actual gate opening control panel, which you'll likely have to arrange with the community, and your car must be next to it when the button is pressed. Everything must be done in the correct sequence described in the manual.
      05-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
skim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

lol dang.. i guess it's more trouble than it's worth
thanks for the responses. i thought about leaving the gate remote in the car, but what happened was that when my car was dropped off for the 1200 mile service, i forgot to take it out and i had to go back to the dealer to get it. good thing i remembered it relatively quick.. it's PITA... sigh...
      05-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Take it to your dealer, if it is programmable then they will program it for you. That's what I did after trying dozens of times myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

mine works
      05-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
i was just researching this a few days ago, because i park in a community garage as well. the answer is: possibly. for my situation, it cannot be done. my garage uses a DKS microplus transmitter which has a rolling code that cannot be copied. The microplus transmitter is directly linked to the receiver, and there is no way to replicate it. You'll need to look up the literature on your actual transmitter in order to know whether it is possible. Homelink is pretty capable, but you're SOL if you have a system like mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
If your community gate has a rolling code, which it almost certainly does, you'll need to follow the programming sequence in the manual for rolling codes. In order to do that you'll need access to the "learn" or "program" button on the actual gate opening control panel, which you'll likely have to arrange with the community, and your car must be next to it when the button is pressed. Everything must be done in the correct sequence described in the manual.
      05-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
i wonder what that is supposed to mean?