BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Stick to Clutch
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Direct Injection's Achilles Heel

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthre...t=carbon+build
__________________
All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
 
RandyB's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,504
iTrader: (0)

Wow, that's terrible. I remember reading about it before on another site. I guess port injection isn't so bad after all.
__________________
'09 E92 M3 6MT | Alpine White | Black Leather | EDC | CL Trim | 19s
'03 E46 330i 6MT | Electric Red | Black Leather | ZSP | Bi-Xenons
RandyB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,280
iTrader: (17)

I recall reading over on the e90 site that some 335i owners (335 is DI) have reported the same thing. There was some talk about methanol injection as a way to both cool the intake charge and "wash" the valves and [hopefully] prevent carbon buildup.
Finnegan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
foosh
Major
 
foosh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD

Posts: 1,314
iTrader: (0)

I drove a 2007 RS4 for 15K miles, and I only used Shell (Top Tier), unless I had no other choice. I only experienced the misfire once, which did set a code. A simple dealer reset did the trick. However, I am aware that it is a problem on direct injection engines.

Shell claims their latest "nitrogen-enriched" fuel is an attempt to try to deal with the problem. I have no idea whether their marketing claims have been verified by impartial technical analysis, but they claim the "nitrogen-enrichment" process makes the additive (cleaning) package more stable at the higher operating temps seen in such engines, thus making cleaning more reliable.

Only time will tell . . .
__________________
foosh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,027
iTrader: (1)

Seems to be a case of a Achilles Heel to Audi's RS4 direct injection. Much, much more evidence would be required to call this an Achilles Heel in general.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
I drove a 2007 RS4 for 15K miles, and I only used Shell (Top Tier), unless I had no other choice. I only experienced the misfire once, which did set a code. A simple dealer reset did the trick. However, I am aware that it is a problem on direct injection engines.

Shell claims their latest "nitrogen-enriched" fuel is an attempt to try to deal with the problem. I have no idea whether their marketing claims have been verified by impartial technical analysis, but they claim the "nitrogen-enrichment" process makes the additive (cleaning) package more stable at the higher operating temps seen in such engines, thus making cleaning more reliable.

Only time will tell . . .
I have heard similar comments about Texaco's Techron additive. There is no doubt that the fuel technology is playing catch-up at the moment but I don't think it will be much of a problem long term.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
quackbury
Master of the Obvious
 
quackbury's Avatar
 
Drives: X5 35D and 535ix M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New England

Posts: 178
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Seems to be a case of a Achilles Heel to Audi's RS4 direct injection. Much, much more evidence would be required to call this an Achilles Heel in general.
If you read the thread (all 11 pages) the Audi techs report that it is happening in a variety of their engines, not just the RS4. So it would be fair to refer to this as an Audi problem, not just an RS4 problem.

Is the issue specific to Audi? (E.g. a defect withtheir oil pump design)? Or is it an artifact of direct injection itself (e.g. the intake valves not being cooled / cleaned by the incoming fuel charge)? Pretty important quesiton, and I think I would be inclined to hold off on getting a direct injeciton engine till this is sorted out.

I am reminded of defective seals in the original RX-7 rotary engines and defective seals in early turbocharged enngines. Not good.
__________________
Current:

2011 X5 35D Sport, DSB / Oyster
2011 535ix M Sport, TiAg / Black
quackbury is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
 
John@BMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 385
iTrader: (1)

yes, this is happening in all of our direct injection motors as well!

The 760 V12 motor gets it pretty bad and that is A LOT of valves to clean out every 35-50k miles. Factory warranty will pay for it but a CPO warranty will not!

I tell you what is really funny, when I talk to 'BMW technical services' about it each time a customer comes in for a misfire complaint which turns out to be valve deposit case, they say, " tell the customer to use good gas"

Then i say, WHY??? IT IS DIRECT INJECTION!!! YOU FOOLS!

This problem and the secondary air carbon deposit problem are all reasons why you should just flog the hell out of the engine every single time... If you drive them nice, they will kill themselves.
__________________
John@BMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
This problem and the secondary air carbon deposit problem are all reasons why you should just flog the hell out of the engine every single time... If you drive them nice, they will kill themselves.
Indeed. A good flogging does wonders for the motor. Based on that, I am certain mine is clean as a whistle!
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GA

Posts: 228
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
yes, this is happening in all of our direct injection motors as well!

The 760 V12 motor gets it pretty bad and that is A LOT of valves to clean out every 35-50k miles. Factory warranty will pay for it but a CPO warranty will not!

I tell you what is really funny, when I talk to 'BMW technical services' about it each time a customer comes in for a misfire complaint which turns out to be valve deposit case, they say, " tell the customer to use good gas"

Then i say, WHY??? IT IS DIRECT INJECTION!!! YOU FOOLS!

This problem and the secondary air carbon deposit problem are all reasons why you should just flog the hell out of the engine every single time... If you drive them nice, they will kill themselves.
Yeah...I think the point gets lost on some people that the gas never touches the valves in a DI engine.
JJM335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

Interesting to see how Porsche deals with it. Their customers aren't going to tolerate problems with their DI engines like that.

I'm glad the M3 isn't DI (for now... I'm sure the problem will be fixed as DI evolves).
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Indeed. A good flogging does wonders for the motor. Based on that, I am certain mine is clean as a whistle!
Funny, I thought it was in my head that the car ran smoother after a good flogging. Makes sense though, extra heat and revolutions to break things down a bit.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,027
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the cross model and cross brand confirmations. It does indeed look to be a pretty serious general DI problem. This is quite surprising to me given the amount of very good research done on DI systems over a very long time period. If it requires as much frequent and labor cost as it must I can smell class actions.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
consolidated
Major
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,489
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
This is from a porscheplanet.net post, pics are supposedly of a 2008 Cayenne Turbo V8 DFI. Yikes. Remember all those posts from a year ago where people were bemoaning the M3 V8 not being DFI....?
Attached Images
  
consolidated is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,160
iTrader: (25)

Damn! Those Cayenne valve pictures look nasty.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Dascamel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bakersfield, CA

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Wonder how the N54 valves look after 50k miles while running a tune.
__________________
2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black,DCT,Fox Red ext,Prem,Tech,19", ipod/usb, CF roof and trim
2010 E91 328i Space Gray,Black int, M sport, most options
2007 Montego Blue 335i (retired)
Dascamel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
Funny, I thought it was in my head that the car ran smoother after a good flogging. Makes sense though, extra heat and revolutions to break things down a bit.
I recall my Dad telling me he had to "blow out the carbon once in a while" way back when I was a lil pup. lol. I guess he was right!
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn! Those Cayenne valve pictures look nasty.
WOW...what else can I say.
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

I wonder how much the long oil change intervals are contributing to this problem?
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
jym3
New Member
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

According to this article:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/05/01...pth/#more-2920

"BMW has not offered Direct Injection on any naturally aspirated (non-turbo) motor in the US due to the sulfur content of US fuel and they do not plan on offering it on them in the future (as we have been told)."
jym3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #21
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The sulfur amount in fuel has been a long running issue in the UK, I remember an article run in one of the car mags stating that BMW advised it's owners not to use supermarket fuel. I can't say if this is still the case but it appears to be an on-going concern for BMW.

It's interesting that they see fit to offer it with turbo engines but not N/A engines. All I can say is that I have owned four DFI engined cars, 2 turboed and 2 N/A ones and none have caused any problems, I have always used super unleaded fuel either BP or Texaco. Maybe a quality brand of fuel is the most important thing.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #22
ideliver
Major
 
ideliver's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: At the gas station

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
I recall my Dad telling me he had to "blow out the carbon once in a while" way back when I was a lil pup. lol. I guess he was right!
we call it an "italian tune-up"
__________________
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

ideliver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST