BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

ESS Tuning

04-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
ChitownM3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Headlights pointing to the ground after spring install...

So I got H&R sport springs for the car, the stance is perfect now, but my headlights aren't pointing as high as I'd like. Can't see far in the distance at all unless my high beams are up. Anybody know if you can adjust the headlights?
      04-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
FrankieP

Drives: E92 M3 AW/BLK

There is an adjustment screw on the top of each headlight. Put the car about 3 feet from a wall and adjust them using a screw driver. Make sure to point the drivers side just slightly lower, so not to blind oncoming traffic.
FrankieP is offline   United_States
      04-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
ChitownM3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@CEC View Post
There is an adjustment screw on the top of each headlight. Put the car about 3 feet from a wall and adjust them using a screw driver. Make sure to point the drivers side just slightly lower, so not to blind oncoming traffic.
Thanks for the help Frank!
      04-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

How come some peoples headlights point way up high after spring install and some end up point towards the ground?
      04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
FrankieP

Drives: E92 M3 AW/BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
How come some peoples headlights point way up high after spring install and some end up point towards the ground?
It depends on the angle of the suspension drop. Some springs have a more aggressive rear drop and this causes the headlights to point up. Others will lower the front more in relation to the rear (from stock height) causing the lights to point down.
FrankieP is offline   United_States
      04-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
J08M3
Major General

Quote:
It depends on the angle of the suspension drop. Some springs have a more aggressive rear drop and this causes the headlights to point up. Others will lower the front more in relation to the rear (from stock height) causing the lights to point down.
got it, that makes sense. It checks front in relation to rear to determine headlight angle.
      04-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
SV Concepts II

Drives: E90 M3

Give this a look through also before you adjust those lights. It details how to properly aim headlights to NA and Euro standards.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
SV Concepts II is offline   United_States
      04-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
JAJ
Captain

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
On my E39 M5, if the headlight aim sensors on the suspension were properly connected after the install, the headlight aim was perfect. That's what the sensors are there for - to compensate for ride height changes at the front suspension or the rear suspension (or both) because of added weight or other attitude changes in the car (like coilovers).

I think your headlights are aimed wrong because the headlight sensors are messed up or not properly connected.

The headlights shouldn't need adjusting after a spring or coilover install.
      04-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
If it's springs, it should point down as after you install them you can feel the whole car leaning forward. I had to adjust my headlights and adjust my seating position.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
      04-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
If it's springs, it should point down as after you install them you can feel the whole car leaning forward. I had to adjust my headlights and adjust my seating position.
Mine went up. I had to adjust them back down.
      04-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Before you run out and make any manual adjustments to your headlight, make sure your front and rear verticle aim sensor rods were properly attached.

Your tech most likely removed the verticle aim sensor rods during the spring installation process so the sensor/rod does not get damaged/bent.

You will need a very very aggressive rake to have your headlight pointed towards the ground. And if you have that type of rake, you would probably want to take the springs you just installed out of the vehicle and seek other options as your car will probably not handle properly at such a rake.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States