BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

Steve Thomas BMW

04-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
M_Time
Private First Class

Drives: M3

I just got my AW tinted last Sat, I got Solar Guard 30%. Not happy at all with the dot Matrix and rear defroster, although they filled with paper glue, makes the car look old.
I feel everyones pain and the rear does look like foggy or not to clear, besides all this my CA is acting up too ! I think I'm going to have them removed, anyone removed the tints need post removal results.
      04-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
endofanera7
Major General

Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
where in the bay are did you get your car tinted?
endofanera7 is offline   No_Country
      04-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #25
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I got mine tinted at a very reputable shop.. Tint Plus in Laguna Hills. They sand down the dot matrix first which negates the typical bubbles/trouble with the tint.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
      04-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #26
rbk1115
Lieutenant

Drives: Acuras & BMWs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZE92M3 View Post
I just had my car tinted last Saturday morning with 20% 3M color stable film all the way around. The car sat in my garage, out of the sun, undriven all day Sat & Sunday. On Monday afternoon I took my finger and pushed around all the edges, especially the top of the rear window, and it made a BIG difference. I think after the glue sets for a couple days it becomes more tacky and I was able to push it down and get rid of a lot of the bubbles. It's not perfect but MUCH better. I don't think it's ever going to be perfect but my installer did a great job and I'm happy with it now. I think you're going to have to accept a small amount of bubbling around the dot matrix. Good luck.

P.S. I just looked at your photos again. Look at your last picture and the close up picture of the top of your rear window. You should be able to push on the "lighter sections" of the tint on that rear window and make them look like the darker sections. For instance you should be able to push that bubble out on the left and make the entire dot matrix section look like the bottom inch of dot matrix. Work with your fingers or a credit card from the darker section up to the top of the window pushing the air bubbles out as you go. I think that's as good as it gets.
+1

I had my car tinted with Johnson Greystone GSN 50 Window Film at Tech Finish down here in San Diego. The installer did a really good job as well. I did the exact same thing around the edges and it cleaned things up. The small amount of bubbling that is left really does not bother me as I have accepted the fact that it cannot be 100% perfect.

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
2013 BMW 535i M Sport Sedan
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan
rbk1115 is offline   United_States
      04-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #27
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I got mine tinted at a very reputable shop.. Tint Plus in Laguna Hills. They sand down the dot matrix first which negates the typical bubbles/trouble with the tint.
MrHarris....can I ask what you paid at Tint Plus? I'm in Irvine and looking for somewhere local...this place sounds good. Any pics?

PM me the price if you can.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
TIMBO_M3 is offline   United_States