BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
MyKmYk's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: E36/46/90 M3, E82M, R60
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greater NYC Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MyKmYk
Question Q on steering wheel mod's.

To begin, I have yet to place my order yet (hopefully I'll hear something from BMW this week), however I am already in the mod planning phase. And while I know my e46 info, I'm still in the process of absorbing all the e9x stuff. A few questions.

Even though I love the thickness of the M3 steering wheel, I've always hated the design of the e9x wheels. Aside from the airbag, which is obviously different, will an e60 M5 steering wheel fit and work correctly with all the steering wheel related functions of my e90 M3 DCT? If so, does anyone know a good place to get one?

Of course, I also like the BMW performance wheel. Only issue is, after having alcantara in my e46 ZHP, I know the product wears over time. It wears so badly, in fact, that BMW gave all ZHP owners a free replacement steering wheel + shift boot and knob one time during the warranty period. I believe this was even true for competition pkg M3 owners. Basically, I love alcantara, but this will be my daily driver. Do they offer the performance wheel without the alcantara?

Thanks in advance. Lets hope BMW calls me today.
__________________

ATLANTIS & MORA
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
121
Rep
4,937
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Personally, I think the E60 M5 steering wheel will look VERY out of place in an E9x M3. I have no clue whether it will work or not, but I am sure some others here will be able to answer that!

Good luck!
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #3
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
rawedge2's Avatar
17
Rep
332
Posts

 
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: long island

iTrader: (1)

i do believe you can get the performance wheel w/o the alcantra..
__________________
2008 E92 M3 (03-08-2008-first delivery)
JET BLACK on BLACK w/Carbon Leather, 19's, Tech, 6spd..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
i dont think the e60 m5 steering wheel can be retrofitted to the m3 without some serious modifications. also there is no way you can tell if all the buttons will work properly. basically you will be doing a $400 experiment by trying it out.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
I have e60 M5 wheel in my garage and it won't fit M3 ... You need to do some modifications to make it fit. Along with the wheel, you need to get new airbag, new coil spring cartridge and probably some other parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
MyKmYk's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: E36/46/90 M3, E82M, R60
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greater NYC Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MyKmYk
Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I have e60 M5 wheel in my garage and it won't fit M3 ... You need to do some modifications to make it fit. Along with the wheel, you need to get new airbag, new coil spring cartridge and probably some other parts.
Dang. Thats too bad. Would you be interested in getting rid of the wheel anytime in the near future? I have a friend that is a certified BMW-tech and he said he'd be wlling to help me with the experiment.
__________________

ATLANTIS & MORA
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
122
Rep
4,758
Posts

 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawedge2 View Post
i do believe you can get the performance wheel w/o the alcantra..
If this were true I would be all over that. Not a fan of alcantara...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
MyKmYk's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: E36/46/90 M3, E82M, R60
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greater NYC Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MyKmYk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
If this were true I would be all over that. Not a fan of alcantara...
Ya, Evan at Tischer said its alcantara only.
__________________

ATLANTIS & MORA
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #9
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
rav7ks's Avatar
6
Rep
382
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
I've got the PSW and if the alacantra does wear out, I'll just unstich it and get my mum to sew a new piece of leather in it's place. Very easy since it's not the whole steering wheel. Maybe I'll use perforated leather in it's place.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
I've got the PSW and if the alacantra does wear out, I'll just unstich it and get my mum to sew a new piece of leather in it's place. Very easy since it's not the whole steering wheel. Maybe I'll use perforated leather in it's place.
+1 reupholstering the wheel in perf leather is always an option. It won't be too expensive at your local auto upholstery shop.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
MyKmYk
BMW Individual Junkie.
MyKmYk's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: E36/46/90 M3, E82M, R60
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greater NYC Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to MyKmYk
I'd really like to buy the ACS wheel, but talk about $$$.

At the moment my dream wheel would be:

M5 look overall, with the cropped look of the ACS wheel, with the BMW Perf. readout, with CF.

Now...........which sponsor wants to tackle that?
__________________

ATLANTIS & MORA
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #12
argonboy
First Lieutenant
argonboy's Avatar
3
Rep
306
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bucharest, Romania

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKmYk View Post
M5 look overall, with the cropped look of the ACS wheel, with the BMW Perf. readout, with CF.
Sounds like a McDonald's order. Would you like to supersize your combo? Any mayo with that?

Sorry, couldn't help it. I have the perf wheel, but honestly after you get used to the display the nicest thing is the grip on the Alcantara.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:11 AM   #13
Nucking Futs!
Major
Nucking Futs!'s Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,403
Posts

 
Drives: nucking futs!
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: All over Dallas!

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKmYk View Post
To begin, I have yet to place my order yet (hopefully I'll hear something from BMW this week), however I am already in the mod planning phase. And while I know my e46 info, I'm still in the process of absorbing all the e9x stuff. A few questions.

Even though I love the thickness of the M3 steering wheel, I've always hated the design of the e9x wheels. Aside from the airbag, which is obviously different, will an e60 M5 steering wheel fit and work correctly with all the steering wheel related functions of my e90 M3 DCT? If so, does anyone know a good place to get one?

Of course, I also like the BMW performance wheel. Only issue is, after having alcantara in my e46 ZHP, I know the product wears over time. It wears so badly, in fact, that BMW gave all ZHP owners a free replacement steering wheel + shift boot and knob one time during the warranty period. I believe this was even true for competition pkg M3 owners. Basically, I love alcantara, but this will be my daily driver. Do they offer the performance wheel without the alcantara?

Thanks in advance. Lets hope BMW calls me today.
EAS (a board sponsor) has a steering wheel for an e9x M3 here:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1908

Other than that & the Hartge/ACS wheel, not sure of another wheel that'll fit.

- Jimmy
__________________
- Jimmy
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKmYk View Post
Dang. Thats too bad. Would you be interested in getting rid of the wheel anytime in the near future? I have a friend that is a certified BMW-tech and he said he'd be wlling to help me with the experiment.
yeah, i can sell it ... it is not in super good condition and you would probably would have to rewrap it ...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST