BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
///Armin
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

DSC Malfunction after M3 Performance wheel install

I had the steering wheel installed and it works great but after about 5 mins of driving I got the DSC Malfuction error I don't think the install touches any DSC related parts except the center console for turning the DSC off and on, we double checked that and it's plugged in correctly.

I guess I have to go to the dealer now...I hope I don't get sh*t for having someone else beside them install the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
Eliminator's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
311
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

It's probably the steering angle sensor. Can't say why the wheel would have affected it, but i'd bet it's that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Dan73
Private First Class
Dan73's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: ↑ Not that ↑
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Mass

iTrader: (0)

Could be a coincidence too.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Edman951's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
285
Posts

 
Drives: F10 550xi, Alpine white
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec

iTrader: (1)

It's the steering angle sensor.
I just did the install on my car 2 weeks ago, and It was the steering angle sensor. I posted about this issue.

The DSC work off the steering angle sensor to know where it is.
Read this http://www.bavarianmachine.com/tips/tip7.html

When you did the install. Did you remove the flasher/wiper arm assembly off the streering colomn?
The angle sensor is part of the flasher / wiper arm assembly.
If its removed from the column, the sensor looses it reference point.
The dealer charged me 1-1/2 labor to fix.
When you go to the dealer, tell them you just had the BMW performance steering installed, and that the angle sensor needs to be re-aligned / calibrated.
It will save them diagnostic time and probably save you some $$.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #5
///Armin
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman951 View Post
It's the steering angle sensor.
I just did the install on my car 2 weeks ago, and It was the steering angle sensor. I posted about this issue.

The DSC work off the steering angle sensor to know where it is.
Read this http://www.bavarianmachine.com/tips/tip7.html

When you did the install. Did you remove the flasher/wiper arm assembly off the streering colomn?
The angle sensor is part of the flasher / wiper arm assembly.
If its removed from the column, the sensor looses it reference point.
The dealer charged me 1-1/2 labor to fix.
When you go to the dealer, tell them you just had the BMW performance steering installed, and that the angle sensor needs to be re-aligned / calibrated.
It will save them diagnostic time and probably save you some $$.
Thanks for the info! I will let them know.

I didn't do the install so I'm not sure, I assume this could have been completely avoided if the flasher / wiper arm assembly was not taken off?

Does the instructions say anything about taking the flasher / wiper arm assembly off?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Edman951's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
285
Posts

 
Drives: F10 550xi, Alpine white
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec

iTrader: (1)

No the instruction don`t say anything about it.
The instructions are made for BMW tech`s, so they don`t go into detail about everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
///Armin
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
303
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Just got the car back from the dealer, after re-alignment of the angle sensor it fixed the issue.

A heads up for those who want to install the wheel to not remove the lasher/wiper arm assembly to install this wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
GT3 Tim
Moderator
GT3 Tim's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,897
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

This brings a few questions to mind.

Can the install be done "easily" without removing the wiper stalk?

Why would you remove the wiper stalk?

I am considering getting the performance wheel and doing the install, but would like to know all the info beforehand! TIA
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Edman951's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
285
Posts

 
Drives: F10 550xi, Alpine white
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal, Quebec

iTrader: (1)

You don`t normally need to remove it from the colomn.
But you do need to remove the bolts to take off the original spring clip and replace it with the new one. And
Since the spring clip is bolted and clipped on top of the flasher/wiper arm assembly.
When you remove the steering wheel off, you will see it.
Check this post out with more info at the bottom
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159983
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
rav7ks's Avatar
6
Rep
382
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
I just installed the performance steering wheel and afterwards the following went wrong:
EDC Error
DSC Error
ABS Error
Seat belts would'nt work.
The wipers were running non-stop.
The performance wheel was not showing the shift lights as well.
I was very careful not to remove the angle sensor but I think during removal it may have moved a bit and this caused all of the above.
I guess I'll have to take it into the dealer tomorrow !
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
knext21
Subscribed
knext21's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,063
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT (sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
I just installed the performance steering wheel and afterwards the following went wrong:
EDC Error
DSC Error
ABS Error
Seat belts would'nt work.
The wipers were running non-stop.
The performance wheel was not showing the shift lights as well.
I was very careful not to remove the angle sensor but I think during removal it may have moved a bit and this caused all of the above.
I guess I'll have to take it into the dealer tomorrow !
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #12
hankit
Second Lieutenant
hankit's Avatar
Hong Kong
4
Rep
279
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

it seems no matter how you carefully install the wheel..it still needs to go back to the dealer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
I just installed the performance steering wheel and afterwards the following went wrong:
EDC Error
DSC Error
ABS Error
Seat belts would'nt work.
The wipers were running non-stop.
The performance wheel was not showing the shift lights as well.
I was very careful not to remove the angle sensor but I think during removal it may have moved a bit and this caused all of the above.
I guess I'll have to take it into the dealer tomorrow !
__________________

LET ME SHIFT *CLICK CLICK*
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
rav7ks's Avatar
6
Rep
382
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
Well some good news.
I fixed most of the problems. It was a loose connector which corrected most
of the codes. Now only the emmisions error is showing up.
I'm at the dealer getting that checked and getting the wire fixed so it does'nt
cause any future problems.
I would recommend a professional install as the wires you are dealing with
Are very small and can be problematic if not installed properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
doba_s
Major General
doba_s's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
6,099
Posts

 
Drives: M3, 1M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (26)

Send a message via Skype™ to doba_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankit View Post
it seems no matter how you carefully install the wheel..it still needs to go back to the dealer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav7ks View Post
Well some good news.
I fixed most of the problems. It was a loose connector which corrected most
of the codes. Now only the emmisions error is showing up.
I'm at the dealer getting that checked and getting the wire fixed so it does'nt
cause any future problems.
I would recommend a professional install as the wires you are dealing with
Are very small and can be problematic if not installed properly.
If you take your time and do everything accordingly to the instruction you will not have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
rav7ks's Avatar
6
Rep
382
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
True Doba
Your instructions were excellent
But I was somewhat clumsy with the wires as you don't have much room to work with them. The connectors are also a pain, as they all have to be removed in different ways.
Well, I was able to pull everything apart (without shedding blood..lol) but I managed to break a connector which resulted in a loose wire/connection.
I was also careful in not removing the angle sensor so that was not the cause of my problems.
After the installation, I was able to get the center display on the steering wheel to show temp/times etc but the shift lights were not working. Is there some programming or settings that I have to perform ?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST