BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
richardallen
Enlisted Member

Drives: M3

Used M3

Hi.

My name is Richard and I'm planning to get a used m3.

I tooka look at one for sale by a dealer on behalf of the customer. Et has clocked 3000 miles on it and its not a demo car. it only have 1 previous owner.

The exterior looks fine. Is there anything I should worried about?

I'm worried about the engine and gearbox. But I drove it and it didn't have any problems.
What if the ex owner never warms up the engine properly, run it in, tracks it occasionally? Should I be worried? What's the worst which could happen?

Appreciate any help at all.

btw when I was test driving the car, i put it to high setting on all the M selections. and on first gear and 2nd gear the car jerked really hard as if its bogging down at 3000rpm. did i do something wrong? its a stick and I drove on normal mode ok. when the technical advisor drove it, it was alright?
      03-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
alpine335i
Captain

Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Do you know how to drive Manual good? could just be driver error. Might want to ask why the previous owner traded it in after only 3000 miles.
      03-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
richardallen
Enlisted Member

i used to drive a sti, so I think driving a manual car is not a problem... but I've never driven a car with over 400hp.
the jerk was quite violent on first and second (car was on sportplus?). it felt like the car was bogging down like a AWD on a bad launch.
sorry for being such a noob. but anyone have any idea? is it normal with the M3 and i just got to learn how to drive it?
      03-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
richardallen
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine335i View Post
Do you know how to drive Manual good? could just be driver error. Might want to ask why the previous owner traded it in after only 3000 miles.
apparently owner upgrade to the DCT.
      03-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
jm1234
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallen View Post
Hi.

My name is Richard and I'm planning to get a used m3.

I tooka look at one for sale by a dealer on behalf of the customer. Et has clocked 3000 miles on it and its not a demo car. it only have 1 previous owner.

The exterior looks fine. Is there anything I should worried about?

I'm worried about the engine and gearbox. But I drove it and it didn't have any problems.
What if the ex owner never warms up the engine properly, run it in, tracks it occasionally? Should I be worried? What's the worst which could happen?

Appreciate any help at all.

btw when I was test driving the car, i put it to high setting on all the M selections. and on first gear and 2nd gear the car jerked really hard as if its bogging down at 3000rpm. did i do something wrong? its a stick and I drove on normal mode ok. when the technical advisor drove it, it was alright?
If it was pulling strong and then jerked (bogged down) that isn't right. If you let out the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear two separate starts around 3000 rpm and it jerked both times that could just be your unfamiliarity with the clutch/throttle. The M settings change the rate at which the gas pedal gets from idle to full throttle. All the way out is still idle (regardless of setting) and all the way in is still full throttle (regardless of setting). Sport Plus is very twitchy. The engine does not have super high torque but it has more than enough torque to move the car at almost any rpm in the proper gear. You can even start smoothly in 2nd without excessive clutch slip assuming you are not on a hill. The tires should spin before the engine bogs in 1st or 2nd at 3,000 rpm. At 3,000 rpm you are near peak engine torque.

As with any engine if it wasn't treated right it's durability will be degraded. I think that BMW powertrains in general are a cut above when it comes to reliability and long term durability. Every system in the car is built for the track except for the brakes so unless crashed I don't think that tracking is inherently damaging. Some may not prefer that sort of use. Tracking will wear out the stock tires but you can see that and may damage the stock brake pads/rotors. If the brakes were damaged you would feel pedal vibration when braking. It's the interior (squeaks and rattles) and the electronics or ancillary systems that BMWs have trouble with over time. With only 3000 miles you won't have a great idea about that sort of stuff and there is little the owner could do to degrade those systems.

Why don't you ask to see the service records for the car? The dealership should have access to that history. That would tell you if the previous owner was having warranty issues.

With any car purchase the worse that could happen is you drive the car for 47,001 miles with no trouble and then the engine blows up and takes out the transmission. Then your out $35,000 for repairs. Since the car is under full bumper to bumper warranty for the next several years your most reasonable worst concern is warranty problems and the previous owner should have started complaining about those and there should be a paper trail.
      03-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
oneginee
Banned

Drives: GT3 RS

jm1234 +1.
I would add:
Even if you've driven a manual before every manual car is different. A dual mass flywheel (M3 6MT) will behave differently than a single bloc flywheel with torsion damper on the disc. I suggest testdriving a new M3 6MT for comparison and see if it's you being green with the car.
      03-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
lugnut
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Space/Fox

It sounds like the bog might just be the sport plus throttle sensitivity. When I first got my M cars that setting in 1st and 2nd gear almost always resulted in me bucking the car. The throttle input is very sensitive in that setting. If you are bucking it in normal mode than something seems wrong, but it is still covered under the full warranty anyway. Hopefully that dealership is a good one that can be trusted.

Good Luck, and hopefully you get your M!
      03-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
richardallen
Enlisted Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to post something up.

JM, I've checked with the service center and also my local area BMW M Owners. They've never seen the car on track (but i though I've seen it on track before... might be another black M3) neither was there any major repair work done with the BMW dealers. I'm just worried that the engine or transmission blow up or something. A bit OCD I have I reckon. Also I've got 1 year warranty from BMW. Would a compression test help?

JM/Lugnut, there was no problem driving the car in Normal mode. No jerking, bogging or shaking.
But when I put it to SportPlus mode - Lift the clutch up a bit and give it gas GENTLY, it starts to jerk/bog/buck. However the technical advisor drove it on Sportplus, he floored the gas pedal upon release of the clutch and it had no problem. So maybe it's the way I drive it? Got to really floor the gas on SportPlus mode? Or maybe when I was driving it, it was still cold? The car hasn't been started for awhile so it might take longer to warm it up? I saw the red line reduce to 8000+ rpm but I'm not sure.
Btw, I didn't launch the car at 3000rpm. It started bucking in first gear at 3000rpm with a normal start, i.e. I did a normal start at idle rpm. Sorry guys. I'm not great with describing things.

oneginee, They won't allow test driving of new car. They have demo cars for test.
      03-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
richardallen
Enlisted Member

Sorry guys. I did a wrong conversion from KM to miles.

It's actually 6800 miles.

Thanks for the msg Laszlo. They are giving me quite a good deal already. Performance range seems to be selling slow nowadays.
      03-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
ChitownM3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallen View Post
Sorry guys. I did a wrong conversion from KM to miles.

It's actually 6800 miles.

Thanks for the msg Laszlo. They are giving me quite a good deal already. Performance range seems to be selling slow nowadays.
I'm sure the car is fine. If you keep worrying like this you will not enjoy the car.
      03-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
drey
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

It's probably fine. Like someone said above, it could be the previous owner decided they had to have DCT or some other option. I also had a dealer tell me once when I asked why a used M had such low miles that a lady brought it back because it was just too much car for her, which I find believable.

In any case, cover your ass! Get a full warranty and make the dealer disclose any history of repairs, over-revs, etc. Then, enjoy the finest auto you will ever own!

BTW, anyone see that shithead driver wreck his bimmer while jockeying for the lead in Melbourne F1 race yesterday? Man, I felt bad for that team...
drey is offline   United_States