BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
31

 
Drives: 09 M3 sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston


Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

once more it happened...attention BMWNA!!!

music playing...09 M3/ new I Drive...suddently music stops- replaced by an ear-exploding loud buzzing sound (thought my speakers would burst)....volume knob etc do not function....7 to 10 seconds later, sound goes away, I Drive back on and music starts playing where it left off...?? no issue on driveablity...but the sudden ear-bursting sound could easily cause an accident or give someone a heart attack....

went to dealer for diagnostic fault code read...could not wait long but they took the codes and will investigate...i will be taking the car back in a couple of weeks...dealer did not find anything at the time and said they would followup with BMW....2nd time this has happened within the first 1600 miles,....maybe a faulty hard drive...I like the 09 new Idrive but this issue is bogus and a safety risk...really makes you wonder if BMW over-engineers the cars with electronic crap without adequate testing/ quality checks...if dealer cannot fix this, will escalate to BMW as this is a safety risk that can cause a crash...let alone I will go deaf if this keeps up...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
M3Gator
Private
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando, FL


Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndoe View Post
music playing...09 M3/ new I Drive...suddently music stops- replaced by an ear-exploding loud buzzing sound (thought my speakers would burst)....volume knob etc do not function....7 to 10 seconds later, sound goes away, I Drive back on and music starts playing where it left off...?? no issue on driveablity...but the sudden ear-bursting sound could easily cause an accident or give someone a heart attack....

went to dealer for diagnostic fault code read...could not wait long but they took the codes and will investigate...i will be taking the car back in a couple of weeks...dealer did not find anything at the time and said they would followup with BMW....2nd time this has happened within the first 1600 miles,....maybe a faulty hard drive...I like the 09 new Idrive but this issue is bogus and a safety risk...really makes you wonder if BMW over-engineers the cars with electronic crap without adequate testing/ quality checks...if dealer cannot fix this, will escalate to BMW as this is a safety risk that can cause a crash...let alone I will go deaf if this keeps up...
I have only 500 mi on mine. Similar thing happened to me last friday as I was parking and turned the car off. Radio was playing. As I turned the car off, I heard the same "shrieking" noise from the speakers. Only lasted about 1-2 sec. But it scared the sh.. out of me. Has only happened the one time and luckily I wasn't driving when it happened. Hoping it was just a freak, one time episode.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
aus
Major General
204

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA


Posts: 7,373
iTrader: (5)

I had a simlar event while I was getting gas. Some LOUD ASS thumping sound from all speakers while the car was off. This went on for at least 10 sec, at which point I turned the car on, and the noise continued. Then I turned the car off, and it finally stopped. It hasn't happened again... yet. I have no i-Drive, i-Pod or HD-radio and standard stereo. I just had the radio on prior to this happening.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 03-25-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
watrob
Major
Australia
41

 
watrob's Avatar
 
Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane - Australia


Posts: 1,493
iTrader: (0)

M3's with Premium Audio built before March 08 did not have fans in the amplifier, when they overheat they have a problem. The new upgraded amp has fans, there is no actual recall but it has to be authorised buy head office and the new amp is ex Germany supply, well it is in Australia anyway.

There is a thread about the replacement upgraded amp! I tried to search it but could not find it!

PS, found it:- http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194133
__________________

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
M3's with Premium Audio built before March 08 did not have fans in the amplifier, when they overheat they have a problem. The new upgraded amp has fans, there is no actual recall but it has to be authorised buy head office and the new amp is ex Germany supply, well it is in Australia anyway.

There is a thread about the replacement upgraded amp! I tried to search it but could not find it!

PS, found it:- http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194133
This is something else... all the M3s with this radio noise in this thread are 2009, and at least one of them doesn't even have iDrive, much less the Premium Audio.

The only thing common is that regardless of the OEM sound system (Premium Audio or HiFi) there is a speed dependent volume control. Perhaps there is a bug in that software that "fools" the radio for a couple of seconds in that the speed is over the limit of volume compensation.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:12 AM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
99

 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa


Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
This is something else... all the M3s with this radio noise in this thread are 2009, and at least one of them doesn't even have iDrive, much less the Premium Audio.

The only thing common is that regardless of the OEM sound system (Premium Audio or HiFi) there is a speed dependent volume control. Perhaps there is a bug in that software that "fools" the radio for a couple of seconds in that the speed is over the limit of volume compensation.
That's an interesting thought...but I would think that speed volume would only bring the volume up a little bit, not to the LOUD and shrieking noise that has been described.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
51

 
MJC///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bronx, NYC


Posts: 2,327
iTrader: (0)

these stories are very scary to hear....hope everything works out for you guys.
__________________
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
That's an interesting thought...but I would think that speed volume would only bring the volume up a little bit, not to the LOUD and shrieking noise that has been described.
Perhaps that's exactly what is broke, some random speed pulse is making the OEM HU/iDrive or the OEM amp go to the max, picking up whatever noise floor or shut down "thump" it has with it thus that shrieking/loud sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
aus
Major General
204

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA


Posts: 7,373
iTrader: (5)

Shouldn't that sensor be off when the car is off? My car was off when it happened.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST