BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Track suspension tuning thread

I took my M3 out to my local track this weekend, Harris Hill Road. It's a tight track, 1.7 miles with three 2nd gear corners, two of them track-out slightly uphill which makes the car more prone to understeer. Car had half-worn NT-01s and nothing else, DCT on and off. Here's what i found, experienced advice is welcome:

1. slight understeer in faster corners, but not bad
2. moderate understeer in slower corners, had to be patient to get back on the throttle
3. the car doesn't want to throttle steer, rear end stays solidly planted with front end pushing, even with DCT off.
4. car rotates nicely with throttle lift or trail braking.
5. stock suspension is really pretty good at the track, stock springs are soft so maybe stiffer sway bars are a good option.

I can drive around the push but wondering what can be done about it...my alignment shop says they can't get much additional negative camber in front.

Does anyone make camber plates, or perhaps a adjustable stiffer rear sway bar yet? Anyone tried different toe settings?

Has anyone performed a roll center study of the M3 and the effects of lowering the car?

I'm also curious about what the M-differential is really doing, is the electronic control still engaged with DCT off?
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
snook
Private First Class
 
Drives: e90m3, 2500hd, 95ltw
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

alot of what you may be feeling is you sliding in the seat.....

give the guys at bimmerworld a call...they'll hook you up..

im in corpus, will be at the nasa and bmwcca races at tws in april....
__________________
snook is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snook View Post
alot of what you may be feeling is you sliding in the seat.....

give the guys at bimmerworld a call...they'll hook you up..

im in corpus, will be at the nasa and bmwcca races at tws in april....
thanks.

how's the snook fishing these days in CC? I'm still looking for my Packery channel jetty tarpon.
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2009, 07:26 AM   #4
8INTO3=M
Private
 
Drives: M3 Coupe -- Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MMMaryland

Posts: 87
iTrader: (1)

What size are your NT01s? Are they staggered or square -- as square should help reduce the understeer a bit. I'm planning to go to RA1s in a square config of 275/35 to help as well.

My track alignment got to -1.3 F and -2.0 R, but could go no further. This seemed to reduce the slow corner understeer issue considerably.

Dinan has front camber plates that add up to -.7. This may be an attractive addition.

Q: How did your lap time compare to the Cayman? I'm guessing the M3 was a bit faster around the track. True?
8INTO3=M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8INTO3=M View Post
What size are your NT01s? Are they staggered or square -- as square should help reduce the understeer a bit. I'm planning to go to RA1s in a square config of 275/35 to help as well.

My track alignment got to -1.3 F and -2.0 R, but could go no further. This seemed to reduce the slow corner understeer issue considerably.

Dinan has front camber plates that add up to -.7. This may be an attractive addition.

Q: How did your lap time compare to the Cayman? I'm guessing the M3 was a bit faster around the track. True?
Staggered 245/275, take-offs from my Cayman S. A square set-up would certainly make a difference.

I couldn't push the M3, I need brakes pads, the stockers started juddering three laps into it. I was doing easy 1:30s, my PR with the Cayman is 1:27, I'm sure the M3 can get there...the Cayman has quite a few track mods so it's not quite a fair fight yet.
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
8INTO3=M
Private
 
Drives: M3 Coupe -- Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MMMaryland

Posts: 87
iTrader: (1)

For what its worth I recently did the Pagid Yellows all around, with Castrol Fluid and SS lines. I was pleasantly suprised by the braking power and the complete resistance to fade. Clearly a necessary change for track use, as the OEM setup is ridiculous.
8INTO3=M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
 
consolidated's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,594
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8INTO3=M View Post
For what its worth I recently did the Pagid Yellows all around, with Castrol Fluid and SS lines. I was pleasantly suprised by the braking power and the complete resistance to fade. Clearly a necessary change for track use, as the OEM setup is ridiculous.
I'm on the list for Pagids when they get back in stock, but would prefer PFC 01/06. Last season I ran Ferodo 3000, Pagid RS29 and PFC01 and the PFC01 had noticeably more outright stopping power, they didn't last nearly as long as the Pagids however. The PFCs also tended to transfer material.
consolidated is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST