BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #23
Blake
Banned
No_Country
180
Rep
4,651
Posts

 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
I don't think you should do that ... I mean how often are you planing on driving at your car's speed limit ? I think it should be more fun with 3.62 and S/C ...
i would probably get no traction whatsoever from a dig, but the rolling times would be amazing. i can only imagine the 60-130 time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #24
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

Maximum speed is lowered to just under 180mph @ 8300rpm in 7th...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #25
artur777!
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: M3 e92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

So lowered maximum speed?
with 3.62 FD the maximum speed is lower than 180 mph?

is it worth to change the maximum speed for better acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #26
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur777! View Post
So lowered maximum speed?
with 3.62 FD the maximum speed is lower than 180 mph?

is it worth to change the maximum speed for better acceleration?
Is 179 mph not enough?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #27
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur777! View Post
So lowered maximum speed?
with 3.62 FD the maximum speed is lower than 180 mph?

is it worth to change the maximum speed for better acceleration?
In theory the stock DCT transmission will reach 205mph at 8300rpm in 7th gear - but the stock car won't be able to go faster than 185mph (even with speed limit delete).

The middle ground is to take the 3.45 diff which has a maximum speed of around 188mph...not worth it though IMO for an extra 9mph, I'd rather have the extra torque in gear of the 3.62...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #28
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur777! View Post
So lowered maximum speed?
with 3.62 FD the maximum speed is lower than 180 mph?

is it worth to change the maximum speed for better acceleration?
Funny eh? Most people spend money to make thier cars faster!

Seriously though - how much time do you spend at top speed? If a lot then I guess not worth it. The diff gives you the power where you will actually use it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
McLuVan's Avatar
Vietnam
144
Rep
13,120
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

iTrader: (1)

how bad was your mpg hit by this mod?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #30
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
McLuVan's Avatar
Vietnam
144
Rep
13,120
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Is 179 mph not enough?
+1 crap if that isn't enough for you
you must be fricking out of your mind!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #31
Blake
Banned
No_Country
180
Rep
4,651
Posts

 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
how bad was your mpg hit by this mod?
i'm getting about 10mpg now...but i was only getting 12 before. my foot is heavy.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #32
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
For DCT I think it's a must because of the lightning fast shifts. On a 6MT, the actual difference in speed may be hindered because you would have to shift more frequently.

Someone take this Diff, RPi Exhaust/scoops, filter, pulleys, software,some drag radials with a DCT and see what of numbers you can pull off at the strip!
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #33
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post

Someone take this Diff, RPi Exhaust/scoops, filter, pulleys, software,some drag radials with a DCT and see what of numbers you can pull off at the strip!
Umm, I did that, - full exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #34
mikewads
Lieutenant
mikewads's Avatar
22
Rep
470
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Umm, I did that, - full exhaust.
True you did do that and afterward you sold the 3.62. Like MR Harris above I thought for sure the 3.62 would really pickup your ET in the 1/4.

Why did you give up on the 3.62 so quickly? I remember you saying that you were going with a different combo in the future (I assume a supercharger).
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #35
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewads View Post
True you did do that and afterward you sold the 3.62. Like MR Harris above I thought for sure the 3.62 would really pickup your ET in the 1/4.

Why did you give up on the 3.62 so quickly? I remember you saying that you were going with a different combo in the future (I assume a supercharger).
Yep, a supercharger ASAP, overkill with 3.62's. I intend to do a full writeup on the benefits of the diff and where they are after I go back out to the strip and have numbers to back up my conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #36
artur777!
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: M3 e92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Is 179 mph not enough?
enough of course, just I was suprprised.
M5 has a top speed of 325km/h
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #37
artur777!
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: M3 e92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
In theory the stock DCT transmission will reach 205mph at 8300rpm in 7th gear - but the stock car won't be able to go faster than 185mph (even with speed limit delete).

The middle ground is to take the 3.45 diff which has a maximum speed of around 188mph...not worth it though IMO for an extra 9mph, I'd rather have the extra torque in gear of the 3.62...

I see the math.
You are right.
The question is: why are there only 3.45 and 3.62 FD? could I have 3.55 for example?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #38
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur777! View Post
enough of course, just I was suprprised.
M5 has a top speed of 325km/h
On paper, and the DCT M3's is higher on paper.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #39
artur777!
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: M3 e92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Yep, a supercharger ASAP, overkill with 3.62's. I intend to do a full writeup on the benefits of the diff and where they are after I go back out to the strip and have numbers to back up my conclusions.

pls do it ASAP:-)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #40
Sticky
Banned
United_States
30
Rep
2,244
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur777! View Post
I see the math.
You are right.
The question is: why are there only 3.45 and 3.62 FD? could I have 3.55 for example?
There are many different ratios, you are just quoting the most popular.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #41
artur777!
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: M3 e92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Funny eh? Most people spend money to make thier cars faster!

Seriously though - how much time do you spend at top speed? If a lot then I guess not worth it. The diff gives you the power where you will actually use it.
agreed
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST