BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Mtrack

02-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
JB135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Tax per mile, thanks Obama supporters

More taxation and less privacy.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...05,print.story

Ironically, the government yet again is fighting itself. They want more electrics/hybrids, but OH WAIT they don't use gas that we can tax.
      02-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
JOSG328I
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328I Sedan

Garage List
2007 328I  [0.00]
See what happens when you try to be bi-partisan and hire Republicans... stupid ideas! .

Sorry I had to do it.
JOSG328I is offline   United_States
      02-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Nixon
Banned

Drives: :

This is a stupid idea. All it is going to accomplish is an underground business for GPS blockers/jammers.

2010 Valentine radar detector, now with GPS tracking jamming feature....

[EDIT: The story in the link changed when Obama announced that former Illinois Republican LaHood didn't speak for Obama's agenda. Thank god Obama slapped that shit down before it got anywhere. What was LaHood thinking????]

Last edited by Nixon; 02-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.
      02-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135i View Post

Ironically, the government yet again is fighting itself. They want more electrics/hybrids, but OH WAIT they don't use gas that we can tax.
Isn't the title of the article "Transportation secretary mulls mileage tax, White House nixes idea" ?

Why are you fussing?

And you really have nerve to say LESS privacy when the Bush whitehouse had access to monitor every call and every email sent in the US. This is something that the Obama administration has discussed prosecuting the telcos for. So to say that we are going to have less privacy under the Obama administration is really just a shot in the dark at best.
      02-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
JB135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Isn't the title of the article "Transportation secretary mulls mileage tax, White House nixes idea" ?

Why are you fussing?

And you really have nerve to say LESS privacy when the Bush whitehouse had access to monitor every call and every email sent in the US. This is something that the Obama administration has discussed prosecuting the telcos for. So to say that we are going to have less privacy under the Obama administration is really just a shot in the dark at best.
Ever hear of a "trial balloon"? It may have been mulling as a headline, but they wanted to see what reaction they would get.

You are also assuming I agreed with the level of access the prior admin had and for that matter the current one still has. You are incorrect in your assumption. Oh and BTW this crap goes way back, prior to even the first Bush admin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_(FBI)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

And this is only the stuff we know about!

If this "chipping" happend it would only be a matter of a software setting to turn it into a satellite based speed trap and/or tracking system and not just a "milage checker"
      02-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90

Quote:
Ever hear of a "trial balloon"? It may have been mulling as a headline, but they wanted to see what reaction they would get.

You are also assuming I agreed with the level of access the prior admin had and for that matter the current one still has. You are incorrect in your assumption. Oh and BTW this crap goes way back, prior to even the first Bush admin.
The trial balloon notion is a possibility, but i doubt it. Its hard to get a strong read on politicians, but this notion truly goes against alot of things he stands for. Actually, its a core contradiction.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore_(FBI)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

And this is only the stuff we know about!

If this "chipping" happend it would only be a matter of a software setting to turn it into a satellite based speed trap and/or tracking system and not just a "milage checker"
Thats good information. I knew about Carnivore, but not Echelon. These two programs allowed spying of Americans, but the program under Bush was taken to a new level. Every communication channel was run through the NSA. Every single one.
The reason why i brought up Bush was not to say "Obama is better than Bush", but to say that I doubt our privacy can get worse than having all of our communication monitored.

I say give Obama a year and then you'll see what he does. I have a strong suspicion that the domestic spying program will come under strong scrutiny and be disbanded (or a least refocused to suspects not all Americans).
      02-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
sayemthree
Brigadier General

Drives: bmw

they have been talking about this in Cali for several years.
      03-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Crimson92
Smiling Politely

Drives: Like a boss

Quote:

oh god not this shit again

please read a book