BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

What is the deepest speaker anyone has fit in the front door?

There are so many good options for speakers but depth seems to be the major issue. I know most of the common stuff is around 52-54mm deep. Anybody got as far as 60 or 65mm?
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Doc
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
5
Rep
288
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 AW/Blk sunroof 19s
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

I think the 3 way dynaudio splits I have fitted to my M3 are just under 60mm. However I had custom made panels to replace the storage bins in the doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think the 3 way dynaudio splits I have fitted to my M3 are just under 60mm. However I had custom made panels to replace the storage bins in the doors.
Sorry, I meant stock location.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
omegatlc
Private First Class
omegatlc's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Black Sapphire M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond

iTrader: (1)

I have 5 1/4 inch MB Quart PCE 213's that have a depth of about 57-58 mm. These are located in the stock location flush mounted like the OEM speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegatlc View Post
I have 5 1/4 inch MB Quart PCE 213's that have a depth of about 57-58 mm. These are located in the stock location flush mounted like the OEM speakers.
You have any pics of it mounted without the grill or how you mounted it to the door? The one I was interested in is about 66mm so I think that might be pushing it.

__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
omegatlc
Private First Class
omegatlc's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Black Sapphire M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Richmond

iTrader: (1)

Sorry, no pics without the grill mounted. They are mounted and screwed into the doors' surface. Wish I could be more help.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegatlc View Post
Sorry, no pics without the grill mounted. They are mounted and screwed into the doors' surface.
You mean through the leather surface? Or did the screws through the mounting ring actually fit inside the stock cutout?
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
842
Posts

 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
There are so many good options for speakers but depth seems to be the major issue. I know most of the common stuff is around 52-54mm deep. Anybody got as far as 60 or 65mm?
I demo'd some Focal K2 Power 4" Shallow mount that go right in palce of the OEM in the doors. Im a 5 1/4, 6" fan myself, but I must say...these sound INCREDIBLE!! Being installed in my own M3 tomorrow along with some other stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
I demo'd some Focal K2 Power 4" Shallow mount that go right in palce of the OEM in the doors. Im a 5 1/4, 6" fan myself, but I must say...these sound INCREDIBLE!! Being installed in my own M3 tomorrow along with some other stuff
While I've always liked Focal mids, the lower end tweeters are too harsh for me. The Be tweeters are very good but the others are too harsh. I really want to try the Rainbow Vanadiums but they are overpriced. So are the Morel Hybrid Ovations.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
842
Posts

 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
While I've always liked Focal mids, the lower end tweeters are too harsh for me. The Be tweeters are very good but the others are too harsh. I really want to try the Rainbow Vanadiums but they are overpriced. So are the Morel Hybrid Ovations.
I agree. I wouldnt put any other Focal in this car except for the K2P 100 KRS. That is their best components, other than the Utopia Be line of course. I listened to the Morels and I wasnt impressed compared to the Focals. I guess I didnt hear the harshness which is something I as well am very cognizant of. I like a smooth sound so to speak and I thought the Focal provided the best option w/o changing the factory speaker cut outs.

You really think they are harsh??
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
I agree. I wouldnt put any other Focal in this car except for the K2P 100 KRS. That is their best components, other than the Utopia Be line of course. I listened to the Morels and I wasnt impressed compared to the Focals. I guess I didnt hear the harshness which is something I as well am very cognizant of. I like a smooth sound so to speak and I thought the Focal provided the best option w/o changing the factory speaker cut outs.

You really think they are harsh??

I've just never really liked the tweeters but I've never heard them in a system that was really tuned well so maybe it was the application more than the speakers themselves. The Morels can be good with a ton of power put to them but I just feel that they are way overpriced. I'd be happy to run them as well as the Rainbows if they could be had for a lot less than their $700 MSRP (Referring to the Morel Hybrid Ovation 4 and Rainbow Vanadium 210 sets).
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #12
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
842
Posts

 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
I've just never really liked the tweeters but I've never heard them in a system that was really tuned well so maybe it was the application more than the speakers themselves. The Morels can be good with a ton of power put to them but I just feel that they are way overpriced. I'd be happy to run them as well as the Rainbows if they could be had for a lot less than their $700 MSRP (Referring to the Morel Hybrid Ovation 4 and Rainbow Vanadium 210 sets).
Thats fair. These Focals should be perfectly tuned when its all said and done. The equipment going to them and the shop doing it...both reputations preceed them. I'll be posting a thread with pics, inventory, analysis, etc. I talked to consulted a few people extensively prior to making my decision. Technic was one.

And no, the equipment going to them is not BB Store bought. LOL. I will admit, I did go with some average 8's under the seat to avoid doing any modifications to the factory enclosures though
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
Thats fair. These Focals should be perfectly tuned when its all said and done. The equipment going to them and the shop doing it...both reputations preceed them. I'll be posting a thread with pics, inventory, analysis, etc. I talked to consulted a few people extensively prior to making my decision. Technic was one.

And no, the equipment going to them is not BB Store bought. LOL. I will admit, I did go with some average 8's under the seat to avoid doing any modifications to the factory enclosures though
Curious to see what you up going with as far as equipment. I'm still all over the place as far as equipment goes with the exception of the BitOne.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
842
Posts

 
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIS4 View Post
Curious to see what you up going with as far as equipment. I'm still all over the place as far as equipment goes with the exception of the BitOne.
This is a pretty ballz out system in my opinion. More than I thought I would do when I decided too change the audio. But there are some limitations I couldnt get over. So this system is definitely a little over the top, but I prefer an over-performer rather than an underperformer.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST