BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
jdizzle27
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 550xi
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

2009 M3 Alarm

New to the forum and M3 owner here.

I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, and there is no alarm available for the car! They don't even have an ETA as to when one would be available, but they did offer to install a LoJack system.

Anyone have an aftermarket alarm installed? Any thoughts about LoJack? I really want a system that disables the car. (Sounds shady, but I wouldn't be too excited about getting it back after they've beaten the crap out of the car!). Any recommendation for installers in So Cal?

Thanks.
jdizzle27 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
hvd.kevin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
hvd.kevin's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NorCal/SoCal

Posts: 1,923
iTrader: (4)

I think LoJack might be over rated if BMW Assist can track your car.
hvd.kevin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
badfish
Major
 
badfish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Are they sold out or something? I bought mine for $235 from Tischer. Stick with the OEM alarm, it keeps you from having to hack your wires and integrates better.
__________________
badfish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
jamesisel
Major
 
jamesisel's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin/ Tennessee

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
Are they sold out or something? I bought mine for $235 from Tischer. Stick with the OEM alarm, it keeps you from having to hack your wires and integrates better.
+1
there are a couple of members on here that have had one installed
__________________
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
jamesisel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
NYSPEM3
Second Lieutenant
 
NYSPEM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
I think LoJack might be over rated if BMW Assist can track your car.
+1. If you are getting the Premium Package BMW Assist is included with 4-year subscription. There is no need to get LoJack, which runs $700+.

If I decide to keep the car for several years AFTER BMW Assist expires, perhaps I will get LoJack. But you have 4 years to think about it.

I wouldn't worry about remote disabling or such. Joyriders will have little luck stealing a modern BMW. On the other hand, if a pro wants your car, he can get it regardless of what you have in it.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
E90 M3 DCT Interlagos Blue/Silver Interior, Tech Pkg, Prem Pkg, Folddown Seats, 19"... that's it

Certified V1 Zombie
NYSPEM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
rob612
Second Lieutenant
 
rob612's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 - m3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California

Posts: 235
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSPEM3 View Post

I wouldn't worry about remote disabling or such. Joyriders will have little luck stealing a modern BMW. On the other hand, if a pro wants your car, he can get it regardless of what you have in it.
serious. i left my car outside and my two of my friends cars got stolen (both civics). My car was untouched. thank you god
rob612 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 1,183
iTrader: (0)

alarms are a waste of money.

If i want your car i will take it in less than 2 minutes with a flat bed.
If i wanted a joy ride, i'd pick something easier, and might just vandalize your car for the hell of it... which an alarm won't stop either.
Mr Tonka is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,282
iTrader: (3)

I have the OEM alarm on my MY2009. I had it installed by my dealer for about $600 installed. I know others have bought it from various dealers online for about $230 and then installed it themselves. Then they paid an extra $100-200 for the programming by their local dealer. Mine wouldn't go for that so I just had them do the whole install.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
jackos335
Private
 
Drives: 335 vert
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: san francisco, cali

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

alarms? If it gets stolen, I'd rather get a new car.
jackos335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
MysticBlue
Major
 
Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Eastern Oregon... They call 'em rigs here

Posts: 1,271
iTrader: (0)

My neighbor's car was parked on the street in front of his house. Drunk driver hit it about midnight, setting off the alarm. The driver backed up from the collision and left. Other neighbor (across the street) heard the alarm and looked out his window, got the license number and description as it was backing up and called 911. The owner of the car was asleep and didn't get out of bed in time to see the car drive away. The cops arrested the guy 10 minutes later pulling into his driveway. FWIW, that wouldn't have happened if there was no alarm, and makes it worth having mine. It probably won't prevent much of anything, but it makes it a little more likely that some jerk-off POS who runs into my car in a parking lot won't drive away, or if he does, maybe someone will see him.
MysticBlue is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
spyderco10
Colonel
 
spyderco10's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

Posts: 2,425
iTrader: (0)

There is definitely an OEM alarm for this car, I got it installed in mine. Or at least they told me they did.
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
spyderco10 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #12
pilot_bro2003
Private First Class
 
pilot_bro2003's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 CL63
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle27 View Post
New to the forum and M3 owner here.

I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, and there is no alarm available for the car! They don't even have an ETA as to when one would be available, but they did offer to install a LoJack system.

Anyone have an aftermarket alarm installed? Any thoughts about LoJack? I really want a system that disables the car. (Sounds shady, but I wouldn't be too excited about getting it back after they've beaten the crap out of the car!). Any recommendation for installers in So Cal?

Thanks.

I had mine installed at the PDC when I picked my car up. I think I payed somewhere between $300-400 installed.
pilot_bro2003 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
 
Kev's Avatar
 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 8,815
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
There's a change to the production of the M3 in Model Year 2009. Some of the newer productions will not take be able to use the current alarm system. I can't remember the exact production date though.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Kev is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #14
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
There's a change to the production of the M3 in Model Year 2009. Some of the newer productions will not take be able to use the current alarm system. I can't remember the exact production date though.
Hmm. I didn't know that. Still, that doesn't make much sense. I am assuming that the internals are the same, and the alarm is coded through i-drive software...so why would it no longer be compatible? Anyone have more specifics (i'm thinking southlight here )
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 04:44 AM   #15
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,748
iTrader: (0)

Don't know what's the reason behind that move but it seems to be true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
here is what BMW says- I got this off my DCSnet at work

Publish Date:
From:
Expiration Date:
January 09, 2009
Aftersales Development
January 23, 2009
DCSnet Message
Important
Subject: Accessory Alarm Kits
Date: 01/09/09

Subject: Accessory Alarm Kits for E9x 3 Series and E8x 1 Series Vehicles



This message is to inform you that as of 3/09 production (for these vehicles) the accessory alarm kits listed here will not be able to be installed in these vehicles any longer. At this time accessory alarm kits for these models from 3/09 onward will be discontinued.

E9x (3 Series)
- 65 12 0 403 658 Sedan & Coupe
- 65 12 0 411 219 S/W
- 65 73 0 427 835 Conv.

E8x (1 Series)
- 65 73 0 444 089 Coupe
- 65 73 0 444 090 Conv.

The 3 Series alarm will also be removed from the Port Install Accessory Program in the near future for this reason. All accessory related material will be updated to note this.

Best regards and thanks for your continued support.

Accessory Development


Attachments: No Attachments
Recipients: BMW Passenger Cars, All Offerings, All Regions, All Areas, All Departments, All Personnel

Best regards, south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Don't know what's the reason behind that move but it seems to be true:




Best regards, south
thanks South! Now we need to know why...
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
jdizzle27
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 550xi
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the replies. I think the dealers that I've contacted in the SoCal area are referring to what John@BMW referred to in his post.

Anyone put in a Viper or other 3rd party alarm in it? Does it void the factory warranty?
jdizzle27 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizzle27 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think the dealers that I've contacted in the SoCal area are referring to what John@BMW referred to in his post.

Anyone put in a Viper or other 3rd party alarm in it? Does it void the factory warranty?
I don't think that the warranty would be the biggest concern...integration is the issue. I wouldn't want to swap my FOB or not have control in iDrive.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #19
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
With all due respect, I sincerely think alarms are useless.

I had alarms in all of my cars to the date. Not any more - my M3 didn't get one (and it is the most valuable car I owned).

What does the alarm not do:
1. Protect against junkies smashing windows to steal things from the cabin. I had windows of 2 of my cars smashed in the past with the CD player gone in no time, no one noticed, "no one saw anything".

2. Protect against vandalism.

3. Discourage professionals to steal the car as a whole. Like it was said above, the car can go in no time. There are many many ways, cars even get lifted without thiefs bothering to break in! They do this in peace at a remote place. And if you ask how can this be, well it has happened several times when people using crane trucks that looked like police trucks removing cars due to "illegal parking"!!


What does the alarm do:
1. At best case give some warning for the car being vandalised / broken into. Even then usually there is no time for you to react (you aren't close by, you don't hear the alarm etc). Even if there is time to react, would you want to be confronted with the guys doing this? What will you achieve with this, go kick their ass? So what, damage is done anyways plus you run the risk of being injured! Just claim under the insurance (which is what you would do anyways) and get over it!

2. Breaks the balls of the neighbours when alarms sound until the battery is drained!


My conclusion (could be wrong): All issues mentioned above are solved by parking the car in a safe place, by full insurance cover, and by not leaving belongings in the cabin. I want to assume that everybody takes these basic precautions for their M3s anyways, so why have an alarm?
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
With all due respect, I sincerely think alarms are useless.

I had alarms in all of my cars to the date. Not any more - my M3 didn't get one (and it is the most valuable car I owned).

What does the alarm not do:
1. Protect against junkies smashing windows to steal things from the cabin. I had windows of 2 of my cars smashed in the past with the CD player gone in no time, no one noticed, "no one saw anything".

2. Protect against vandalism.

3. Discourage professionals to steal the car as a whole. Like it was said above, the car can go in no time. There are many many ways, cars even get lifted without thiefs bothering to break in! They do this in peace at a remote place. And if you ask how can this be, well it has happened several times when people using crane trucks that looked like police trucks removing cars due to "illegal parking"!!


What does the alarm do:
1. At best case give some warning for the car being vandalised / broken into. Even then usually there is no time for you to react (you aren't close by, you don't hear the alarm etc). Even if there is time to react, would you want to be confronted with the guys doing this? What will you achieve with this, go kick their ass? So what, damage is done anyways plus you run the risk of being injured! Just claim under the insurance (which is what you would do anyways) and get over it!

2. Breaks the balls of the neighbours when alarms sound until the battery is drained!


My conclusion (could be wrong): All issues mentioned above are solved by parking the car in a safe place, by full insurance cover, and by not leaving belongings in the cabin. I want to assume that everybody takes these basic precautions for their M3s anyways, so why have an alarm?

an alarm is a deterent. sure, it is not going to prevent your car from getting stolen, but if someone is looking to steal a car, wouldn't they prefer to steal one without an alarm? also, if they are stealing it in a highly populated area, an alarm is going to draw attention, which a criminal doesn't want or need. yes, a true professional could probably defeat a BMW pretty easily. but not all car thieves are true professionals.

my main motivator in getting an alarm is to have audible confirmation that the car is locked or unlocked. there is something about having that chirp that gives reassurance.

i think your conclusions are wrong.
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
gr8000
Major
 
gr8000's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
an alarm is a deterent. sure, it is not going to prevent your car from getting stolen, but if someone is looking to steal a car, wouldn't they prefer to steal one without an alarm? also, if they are stealing it in a highly populated area, an alarm is going to draw attention, which a criminal doesn't want or need. yes, a true professional could probably defeat a BMW pretty easily. but not all car thieves are true professionals.

my main motivator in getting an alarm is to have audible confirmation that the car is locked or unlocked. there is something about having that chirp that gives reassurance.

i think your conclusions are wrong

Well there is an option in iDrive to enable audible confirmation (in addition to the turn indicator flashes) when the car is locked and the imobiliser is engaged . Secondly, when the imobiliser is engaged, there is a small red light flashing (hanging below the central mirror) so people know something is there! So even without an alarm, the engagement of the immobiliser sounds and flshes as if the car is alarmed.

Therefore I don't see why you need an alarm for the M3 and why my conclusions are wrong...
gr8000 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #22
M3 Montreal
Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

Posts: 2,176
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
With all due respect, I sincerely think alarms are useless.

I had alarms in all of my cars to the date. Not any more - my M3 didn't get one (and it is the most valuable car I owned).

What does the alarm not do:
1. Protect against junkies smashing windows to steal things from the cabin. I had windows of 2 of my cars smashed in the past with the CD player gone in no time, no one noticed, "no one saw anything".

2. Protect against vandalism.

3. Discourage professionals to steal the car as a whole. Like it was said above, the car can go in no time. There are many many ways, cars even get lifted without thiefs bothering to break in! They do this in peace at a remote place. And if you ask how can this be, well it has happened several times when people using crane trucks that looked like police trucks removing cars due to "illegal parking"!!


What does the alarm do:
1. At best case give some warning for the car being vandalised / broken into. Even then usually there is no time for you to react (you aren't close by, you don't hear the alarm etc). Even if there is time to react, would you want to be confronted with the guys doing this? What will you achieve with this, go kick their ass? So what, damage is done anyways plus you run the risk of being injured! Just claim under the insurance (which is what you would do anyways) and get over it!

2. Breaks the balls of the neighbours when alarms sound until the battery is drained!


My conclusion (could be wrong): All issues mentioned above are solved by parking the car in a safe place, by full insurance cover, and by not leaving belongings in the cabin. I want to assume that everybody takes these basic precautions for their M3s anyways, so why have an alarm?

Insurance companies give discounts to people with alarms for one reason ... They have STATISTICS that show a car with an alarm is less likely to be vandalised/stolen/broken into.

I agree that a determined thief will not be deterred but it will definately be enough to substantiate having the alarm.

I personally would not want anyone playing around with my M3 for an aftermarket alarm. The Factory alarm is extremely good and Im glad it came with it!
M3 Montreal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST