BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Jumpman
Lieutenant
 
Jumpman's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Extensor tendonitis

Doc says I have extensor tendonitis in my left hand. The first activity that I noticed giving me discomfort was, you guess it, driving.

I have the sport package and the M wheel is very thick but it's not exactly round in the grip, there are soft angels to it which place strain on my middle finger. And due to the manual transmission I do a lot of steering with just the left hand.

Now, I don't know that the steering wheel is the cause of the problem - it could simply be the first place I noticed it. But it do wonder if might be the cause.

I guess the question to the board is: anyone else having problems like this? For what it's worth, I'm 38 years old so I don't think it's arthritis (yet) but I (and the doc) could be wrong!

JM
Jumpman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

I am no doctor, but tendonitis happens most to people who are on the computer with their mouse. It is caused by the rubbing of friction between the bottom of your wrist and the mousepad. This is the first time I have heard of this comming from a person who drives alot. How much are you on the computer?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Jumpman
Lieutenant
 
Jumpman's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: .

Posts: 437
iTrader: (0)

Well, I'm on the computer all day, but I mouse right handed and this is on my left hand only.
Jumpman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Mic
Private First Class
 
Drives: 128i Cashmere silver
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
I am no doctor, but tendonitis happens most to people who are on the computer with their mouse. It is caused by the rubbing of friction between the bottom of your wrist and the mousepad. This is the first time I have heard of this comming from a person who drives alot. How much are you on the computer?
Wrong my friend :wink:

It's when you keep the wrist bent upward or downward.
__________________
Note : To prevent any bashing of my english please considered that I speak french and trying to discuss with you in english ... Ben oui j'tun Québecois S'tie !
Mic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
Wrong my friend :wink:

It's when you keep the wrist bent upward or downward while using the mouse.
Edited :wink:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #6
3toM
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

I would doubt steering the car would do this. tendonitis in most cases is an overuse problem, caused by repetitive activity. In the hand/wrist, it would likely be due to repetitive flexion and extention of the wrist or fingers. I would think steering the wheel is an action done more at the elbow and shoulder than the wrist.
3toM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 25-year member
 
Oregon's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i, HPE & SSK & 04' M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oregon

Posts: 2,590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
Doc says I have extensor tendonitis in my left hand. The first activity that I noticed giving me discomfort was, you guess it, driving.

I have the sport package and the M wheel is very thick but it's not exactly round in the grip, there are soft angels to it which place strain on my middle finger. And due to the manual transmission I do a lot of steering with just the left hand.

Now, I don't know that the steering wheel is the cause of the problem - it could simply be the first place I noticed it. But it do wonder if might be the cause.

I guess the question to the board is: anyone else having problems like this? For what it's worth, I'm 38 years old so I don't think it's arthritis (yet) but I (and the doc) could be wrong!

JM
Well, I'm 54 years-young, have experienced occasional shoulder discomfort when driving the hot rod, made adjustments. Ligaments and their relation to the human frame can be quite profound. Thinking out-loud here, your driving position might benefit from adjustment, I don't know...Mi do pesos...:iono:
__________________
Resigned 1ADDICTS Moderator


“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST