BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
ice13water
1
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2007

Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

new Audi A4

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...-2008-audi-a4/

looks great
ice13water is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Brookside
11
Major
 
Brookside's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KCMO

Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (0)

Well, it's taking some serious cues from the A5-which is a good thing.
But this looks like a facelift of the current car rather than a whole different design...which is what it is.


This is what Audi shoud've done.....but didn't

My big complaint is that Audi's look has become so corporate and safe there's too much similarity from one model to the next.
A handsome car- even great looking but there's no excitement and ultimately it comes off as bland.


Another missed oppurtunity from DeSilva & Co.


With BMW it's emotional and smart and takes chances.
Audi design hasn't been the same since Peter Schreyer left and Walter deSilva took over.

So yeah, high marks - but its so predictable. Can you say that about any
upcoming BMW?
Brookside is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Maximus Decimus
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Maximus Decimus's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jamaica => US => Germany => South Africa

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Looks like the current S4, but with led's in the headlights. Boring.
Maximus Decimus is offline   Germany
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
BForbes
42
Moderator
 
BForbes's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 4,243
iTrader: (0)

Yeah they all look the same now!! Ughh... BUT, I must say I LOVE those LED's upfront. I've seen them on a high end audi sedan a few months ago and there stunning. I'm up in the air whether I prefer them to the angel eyes. :/
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
BForbes is offline   Bahamas
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Victor.L3IchibanM3
3
Banned
 
Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose

Posts: 375
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Victor.L3IchibanM3 Send a message via Yahoo to Victor.L3IchibanM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Well, it's taking some serious cues from the A5-which is a good thing.
But this looks like a facelift of the current car rather than a whole different design...which is what it is.


This is what Audi shoud've done.....but didn't
My big complaint is that Audi's look has become so corporate and safe there's too much similarity from one model to the next.
A handsome car- even great looking but there's no excitement and ultimately it comes off as bland.


Another missed oppurtunity from DeSilva & Co.

With BMW it's emotional and smart and takes chances.
Audi design hasn't been the same since Peter Schreyer left and Walter deSilva took over.

So yeah, high marks - but its so predictable. Can you say that about any
upcoming BMW?


The back looks
Victor.L3IchibanM3 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Propagator
8
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Well, it's taking some serious cues from the A5-which is a good thing.
But this looks like a facelift of the current car rather than a whole different design...which is what it is.
Brookside, I think this is all new, in that it now rides on the new B8 (I think that's what it's called) platform like the new A5. This means something like 55:45 weight distribution, and more importantly the entire engine NOT hanging in front of the front axle. I think that's just what Audi needed in terms of performance.

They don't seem to be maximizing the potential of the new chassis yet judging by the lukewarm numbers of the A5, but I'm sure they'll get the hang of it in a few years.

More competition is always better. :headbang:
Propagator is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
kurichan
4
Mr. Happy
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 479
iTrader: (0)

What's with the recent trend toward squaring things off? Doesn't the new MB C class do that too? Those pics Brookside posted are MUCH more compelling...
kurichan is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #8
ducati
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2007

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
They don't seem to be maximizing the potential of the new chassis yet judging by the lukewarm numbers of the A5, but I'm sure they'll get the hang of it in a few years.
EVO magazine has quoted Audi as saying the new chassis could be competitive with BMW, and they would like to work on changing customer perception to allow for more balanced handling traits. Here's to hoping it works.
ducati is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Maximus Decimus
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Maximus Decimus's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jamaica => US => Germany => South Africa

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Yeah they all look the same now!! Ughh... BUT, I must say I LOVE those LED's upfront. I've seen them on a high end audi sedan a few months ago and there stunning. I'm up in the air whether I prefer them to the angel eyes. :/
I love the led's on the S5, and the R8, but for some reason the exxagerated curved look on these looks off to me on the A4. :iono: That looks great on the R8 though. I totally prefer the bmw coronas to the audi led's though. The led's seem like an after thought to spruce up the look, where the coronas seem more of an integrated design element. My $.02.

Curious to see what the audi faithful have coined the led's. I love 'angel eyes' for the coronas.
Maximus Decimus is offline   Germany
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Nixon
13
Banned
 
Drives: :
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: :

Posts: 1,396
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinzero View Post
Brookside, I think this is all new, in that it now rides on the new B8 (I think that's what it's called) platform like the new A5. This means something like 55:45 weight distribution, and more importantly the entire engine NOT hanging in front of the front axle. I think that's just what Audi needed in terms of performance.

They don't seem to be maximizing the potential of the new chassis yet judging by the lukewarm numbers of the A5, but I'm sure they'll get the hang of it in a few years.

More competition is always better. :headbang:

Yep. The B8 platform addresses the single biggest complaint about Audi handling, the heavy nose weight bias. They are actually claiming a 50:50 weight distribution in the Quattros because they moved the engine back behind the front axle, moved the battery into the trunk, and redesigned the frame to use higher quality lighter weight metals in the front. Audi actually swapped the positions of the diff and the transmission to pull it off.

On top of that, they put a 40:60 torque bias to the rear wheels under normal driving conditions.

This Audi will handle much more like a BMW xi than ever before. It's too bad they have also increased it's size to be about the same size as the old BMW 5-series. It's getting porky at the same rate the 3-series has gotten porky.

The B8 A4 will give the 328xi a serious run for the money. If I were in the market for a 2008 328xi late next year, I would definitely test drive it side to side with the new B8 A4. I don't think the 328xi would win out. The engine has been de-tuned too much. It will need to be tuned like the Z4 3.0si 255hp/220tq engine to compete. Hopefully the new B8 A4 will be the competitive push to force BMW into using the 3.0si engine tune in more of it's line. Like 330si\330Xsi sedans and coupes, and a 130si coupe.

We will have to wait for a B8 S4 to see if Audi can compete with the 335xi. If the S4 gets the 352 hp - 325 ft/lb torque S5 engine with sub-5 second 0-60 times, it may be very competitive with the 335xi. BMW will have to respond with an engine power boost.

Competition is good, yes it is!
Nixon is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
Propagator
8
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
The B8 A4 will give the 328xi a serious run for the money. If I were in the market for a 2008 328xi late next year, I would definitely test drive it side to side with the new B8 A4. I don't think the 328xi would win out. The engine has been de-tuned too much. It will need to be tuned like the Z4 3.0si 255hp/220tq engine to compete. Hopefully the new B8 A4 will be the competitive push to force BMW into using the 3.0si engine tune in more of it's line. Like 330si\330Xsi sedans and coupes, and a 130si coupe.
Propagator is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST