BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
MontegoE92
Private First Class
 
MontegoE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ

Posts: 103
iTrader: (1)

Quit smoking

Well it has been 11 days and counting without a cigarette. Whew! After smoking for 8 years it is nice to say that I finally quit. Thank god for the patch.

For those out there who are skeptical...you can do it! Quitting with friends helps a lot too.
MontegoE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Scorpion
Major
 
Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nowhere

Posts: 1,215
iTrader: (0)

Congrats man, just keep it up. Theirs another member here who quit as well, haven't heard from him in a while, wonder how hes holding up haha.
Scorpion is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Hedges
Major General
 
Hedges's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 5,181
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoE92 View Post
Well it has been 11 days and counting without a cigarette. Whew! After smoking for 8 years it is nice to say that I finally quit. Thank god for the patch.

For those out there who are skeptical...you can do it! Quitting with friends helps a lot too.
New Year resolutions? I've been smoking for almost 8-9 years a pack a day! I finally can say i quit too on my 7th day currently! I'm glad to say i'm not dependant on it no more! Congrats!
Hedges is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
modbargains
Brigadier General
 
modbargains's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 335i & 01 Toyota Avalon
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La Habra, CA

Posts: 3,164
iTrader: (5)

I haven't smoked one since new years, it was really hard the first few days. But I'm glad to say that I've quit also. Keep up the good work and don't give in!
modbargains is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
ACZakka325i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ACZakka325i's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 3.5 M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 1,756
iTrader: (2)

I smoked for 9 years. (I'm 25 and quit 2 years ago).

Early on you must think about it like you're building upon days of being a non-smoker. And accept the fact that you will never smoke again for the rest of your life, or you will sabotage yourself.

Good luck!

You'll never regret it. Looking back, probably one of the most retarded things I ever took up.
__________________
2013 535i xdrive(Current)
2008 E92 M3 (Gone)
2006 E90 325i (Gone)
2002 E46 325xi (Gone)
1991 E30 325i (Gone)
ACZakka325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
MontegoE92
Private First Class
 
MontegoE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ

Posts: 103
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Congrats man, just keep it up. Theirs another member here who quit as well, haven't heard from him in a while, wonder how hes holding up haha.
Thanks, holding strong is the motto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
New Year resolutions? I've been smoking for almost 8-9 years a pack a day! I finally can say i quit too on my 7th day currently! I'm glad to say i'm not dependant on it no more! Congrats!
Yeah, New Year's resolution. Grats on your quitting too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s View Post
I haven't smoked one since new years, it was really hard the first few days. But I'm glad to say that I've quit also. Keep up the good work and don't give in!
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
I smoked for 9 years. (I'm 25 and quit 2 years ago).

Early on you must think about it like you're building upon days of being a non-smoker. And accept the fact that you will never smoke again for the rest of your life, or you will sabotage yourself.

Good luck!

You'll never regret it. Looking back, probably one of the most retarded things I ever took up.
I can agree 100% with that!
MontegoE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

hopefully you can stick with it. it's definitely worth it! i can't i've quit smoking probably 50 times unsuccessfully. speaking of, i think i'll have one now.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
 
Joonsup's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 17,311
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to Joonsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
hopefully you can stick with it. it's definitely worth it! i can't i've quit smoking probably 50 times unsuccessfully. speaking of, i think i'll have one now.


good luck to those who just quit and going on strong. I think what helped me most was trying to quit after you get the flu or something or sore throat. It gives you a couple day headstart since you wouldn't or shouldnt be smoking during that time anyway. I still have one every now and then socially, but the craving is gone and I'm glad. I hope it never returns.
Joonsup is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
I think what helped me most was trying to quit after you get the flu or something or sore throat. It gives you a couple day headstart since you wouldn't or shouldnt be smoking during that time anyway.
that's what usually gets me to quit too. i'll get really sick and quit for a month or so, then one night i'll get drunk and smoke thus bringing the cycle back on.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Hedges
Major General
 
Hedges's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 5,181
iTrader: (8)

Yea i'm 26 and turning 27 soon so i know my body probley not as abled as before! I goto gym everyday but quitting smoking is probley the best thing i could do to start this new years! The hardest part with quitting as i'm going through it now is the habit! Mornings, night times, driving, i get the itch to spark one up! Luckily i've fought it off and going to hope these urges go away soon!
Hedges is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
wuufer001
Colonel
 
wuufer001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DFW, TX//Taiwan//South Africa

Posts: 2,303
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 325i  [4.67]
which patch did you use? i tried quitting by just stop smoking but that ain't working, i could only cut down but not actually quit
__________________
wuufer001 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #12
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
which patch did you use? i tried quitting by just stop smoking but that ain't working, i could only cut down but not actually quit
IMHO, the patch is bullshit. the only way to truly commit to quit is to just stop smoking entirely. i've tried the patch a dozen times but find it just makes me want a cigarette even more.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
 
MadDog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
that's what usually gets me to quit too. i'll get really sick and quit for a month or so, then one night i'll get drunk and smoke thus bringing the cycle back on.
If you could see the X-rays of my Dad's lungs, before he died, you'd quit in a millisecond.
MadDog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
Bimmer335i
Major
 
Bimmer335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA US

Posts: 1,346
iTrader: (0)

I smoked for 20+ yrs,,,yep, started out young, and i mean really really young, but have quit smoking for about 5 yrs now...no patch or any assistance...just plain quitting slowly and finally have no crave for it whatsoever for the last 3+ yrs...
__________________
Enjoy the ride!
Bimmer335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
Blake
Banned
 
Drives: Chevy Aveo
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parent's Basement

Posts: 4,651
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
If you could see the X-rays of my Dad's lungs, before he died, you'd quit in a millisecond.
i've seen dissected smokers lungs and that should be enough for anyone to quit for good, but it's easier said than done.
Blake is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
 
MadDog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
i've seen dissected smokers lungs and that should be enough for anyone to quit for good, but it's easier said than done.

One day at a time. That's all it takes. If you need some encouragement PM me all you want. I don't want to have anyone die such a horrible death....
MadDog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #17
Kensta335
Brigadier General
 
Kensta335's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

Posts: 3,632
iTrader: (4)

I smoked for about 8 years and quit 3 years ago. Straight cold turkey. Best thing I ever did.
Kensta335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
MontegoE92
Private First Class
 
MontegoE92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ

Posts: 103
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
Yea i'm 26 and turning 27 soon so i know my body probley not as abled as before! I goto gym everyday but quitting smoking is probley the best thing i could do to start this new years! The hardest part with quitting as i'm going through it now is the habit! Mornings, night times, driving, i get the itch to spark one up! Luckily i've fought it off and going to hope these urges go away soon!
The habit of smoking (when you're bored, after you eat, etc.) is the hardest to break! The urges will come less often. They only last 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
which patch did you use? i tried quitting by just stop smoking but that ain't working, i could only cut down but not actually quit
There is no way I could quit cold-turkey. Nicoderm CQ the 21mg per 24hr. It helps with the chemical addication, but you still have to fight the habit of going out to have a cigarette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i View Post
I smoked for 20+ yrs,,,yep, started out young, and i mean really really young, but have quit smoking for about 5 yrs now...no patch or any assistance...just plain quitting slowly and finally have no crave for it whatsoever for the last 3+ yrs...
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
I smoked for about 8 years and quit 3 years ago. Straight cold turkey. Best thing I ever did.
Amen!
MontegoE92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
richeerich03
Captain
 
richeerich03's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Santa Clarita

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to richeerich03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensta335 View Post
I smoked for about 8 years and quit 3 years ago. Straight cold turkey. Best thing I ever did.
I also quit 2 years ago on Halloween cold turkey. For some weird reason, I knew as I finished my last smoke that I was never gonna do it again.....

congrats to the OP for going 11 days.. hang in there, it will get worse before it gets better..
__________________
richeerich03 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
Kensta335
Brigadier General
 
Kensta335's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal 626

Posts: 3,632
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
I also quit 2 years ago on Halloween cold turkey. For some weird reason, I knew as I finished my last smoke that I was never gonna do it again.....

congrats to the OP for going 11 days.. hang in there, it will get worse before it gets better..
Yeah, hang in there. I was the first one in our group to quit and it was real hard cause everywhere we go they be smoking.
Kensta335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Hedges
Major General
 
Hedges's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 5,181
iTrader: (8)

Right now i'm just taking it one day at a time and so far so good! I wish i wouldve done it sooner! Better now than never!

I find the hardest was first day, i'd be moody as hell! Pissed, depressed etc etc! Now after a week long i'm not as moody, just the small urges coming and going! ie Driving , i'd be just driving to and from work and i'd be in the habit of smoking before, now i 'm just driving and dont know what else to do! lol I just turn on the radio and think about something else!
Hedges is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
!Xoible
Banned
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: .

Posts: 46,037
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
quitting is so fucking easy! i have a friend who quits every night
!Xoible is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST