BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #45
jlstyle
Major
 
jlstyle's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: nj

Posts: 1,317
iTrader: (0)

Damn this is nerdy.
__________________
09 E92 335i Coupe
Jet Black/Coral Red/Sports Pkg/Prem Pkg/Cold Weather/Navi/PDC/Ipod/6MT
jlstyle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #46
Pappy
Resident Septuagenarian
 
Pappy's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 328i Coupe MT w/hand brake
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Republic of Texas

Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Damn this is nerdy.
Define 'nerdy'......
__________________
Johnny

Sent from my keyboard using hunt and peck...
Pappy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #47
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
 
Drives: 2014 F10 M5
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Posts: 759
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piezo View Post
Here's another, somewhat whimsical source, if anyone still cares...

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/referen...er-beemer.aspx
You'll note that the magazine published by the Boston Chapter is Boston Bimmer. And it's pronounced as it's spelled...I've never heard it pronounced as "Boston Beemer", and that includes all the interactions I had when working as Associate Editor and later as Executive Editor of the magazine.

While we're talking misnomers, I'll agree with the comments on "porsh" versus "por-shuh". But the worst is "Merc". To me, "Merc" is either the division between Ford and Lincoln, or a builder of marine engines...but never a German car company that's based in Stuttgart (I think).
__________________
2014 F10 M5
Previously...
Threes: '08 E90 M3, '07 E92 335i,
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
MBrown1003 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #48
NoSurrender
Private First Class
 
NoSurrender's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

I always write beamer for some reason. But its 'bimmer'

And yes... I realize im the 50th person to answer this question
NoSurrender is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #49
GregL
Brigadier General
 
GregL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 C350 4Matic
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,623
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
While we're talking misnomers, I'll agree with the comments on "porsh" versus "por-shuh". But the worst is "Merc". To me, "Merc" is either the division between Ford and Lincoln, or a builder of marine engines...but never a German car company that's based in Stuttgart (I think).
Yeah I agree. I tend to say either Mercedes or Benz, but strangely I very rarely say the full name by using both.
__________________
2010 Mercedes-Benz C350 4Matic
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
GregL is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #50
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
 
Spoolin335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,155
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.50]
i call it a beemer. bimmer sounds gay, and everyone knows beemer.
Spoolin335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #51
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
 
Well Marbled's Avatar
 
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

Posts: 438
iTrader: (1)

For what it's worth (absolute jack $nit, sweet bupkiss, bugger all) when I search this forum for beamer I get 187 threads, and when I search for bimmer it maxes out at 500.

I agree tho.....bimmer sounds gay.

Beam me up.
Well Marbled is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #52
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
cbad335's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA

Posts: 1,733
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
You'll note that the magazine published by the Boston Chapter is Boston Bimmer. And it's pronounced as it's spelled...I've never heard it pronounced as "Boston Beemer", and that includes all the interactions I had when working as Associate Editor and later as Executive Editor of the magazine.

While we're talking misnomers, I'll agree with the comments on "porsh" versus "por-shuh". But the worst is "Merc". To me, "Merc" is either the division between Ford and Lincoln, or a builder of marine engines...but never a German car company that's based in Stuttgart (I think).
Great post. Thanks for the info, and the laugh.
cbad335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #53
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
cbad335's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA

Posts: 1,733
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
i call it a beemer. bimmer sounds gay, and everyone knows beemer.
Great term to use in a public forum. :
cbad335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #54
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
 
Well Marbled's Avatar
 
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

Posts: 438
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
Great term to use in a public forum. :
Well, actually......from the Webster's Dictionary:

Gay.
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French gai, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gāhi quick, sudden

There you have it. Gay is a word of germanic origin meaning quick.
So please allow me to rephrase. Whether you say Bea-mer or Bim-mer........... it is gay.

And that's OK.
Well Marbled is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2009, 12:25 AM   #55
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
 
Spoolin335's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,155
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Marbled View Post
Well, actually......from the Webster's Dictionary:

Gay.
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French gai, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gāhi quick, sudden

There you have it. Gay is a word of germanic origin meaning quick.
So please allow me to rephrase. Whether you say Bea-mer or Bim-mer........... it is gay.

And that's OK.

LOL thanks!


sorry if i offended anyone when i said 'Gay'
Spoolin335 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST