BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
chuck92103
Major

Drives: 2011 535i

Auto Bailout

I was watching Senator Chris Dodd speak during the hearings yesterday.

He was discussing market cap of auto makes in general.

He called BMW a niche player with 15B market cap because they sell a lot less vehicles than GM although BMW is worth more than all the big three combined.

I found it funny because BMW is not losing $2500 on every car sold.

When VW has more market cap than any make, perhaps the big three should be called something else?
      12-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
techforge
Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi coupe

Yep maybe the three stooges
techforge is offline   United_States
      12-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Prowess Symphony
Major General

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforge View Post
Yep maybe the three stooges

lol nice. Or the Bankrupt Three.
Prowess Symphony is offline   United_States
      12-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
fll335
Major

Drives: C6 Z06, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I was watching Senator Chris Dodd speak during the hearings yesterday.

He was discussing market cap of auto makes in general.

He called BMW a niche player with 15B market cap because they sell a lot less vehicles than GM although BMW is worth more than all the big three combined.

I found it funny because BMW is not losing $2500 on every car sold.

When VW has more market cap than any make, perhaps the big three should be called something else?
I know some of you won’t like this comment. But the truth is that US autoworkers are paid too much, they also have more benefits than other workers in the same field (other countries). On top of that they build cars that rattle like shit boxes when driven more that 5k.
fll335 is offline   United_States
      12-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

its a combination of the UAW's ridiculous contract for it's workers, and poor management. Only in America, can you make poor decisions that lead to your own failure, and then whine and complain about how its not fair that you ran your company to the ground, and the government should bail you out.

Sorry guys, but capitalism doesn't work that way. They need to let the Big three go out of business, so they get out of the UAW contracts and get rid of the piss poor management they currently have. Then they can re-open their doors with new labor contracts and business structure. Throwing money at sinking ship isn't going to fix anything. Oh yeah, actually making cars that people want to buy would help too.
mike-y is offline   United_States
      12-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Sh0cker
n00b

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
They need to let the Big three go out of business, so they get out of the UAW contracts and get rid of the piss poor management they currently have. Then they can re-open their doors with new labor contracts and business structure. Throwing money at sinking ship isn't going to fix anything. Oh yeah, actually making cars that people want to buy would help too.
This was my original thinking but I've been having second thoughts lately. The autoblog podcasts have some intelligent comments about this topic last week and the week before (they're an hour long, fast forward to near the end if anyone wants to listen).
      12-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by fll335 View Post
I know some of you won’t like this comment. But the truth is that US autoworkers are paid too much, they also have more benefits than other workers in the same field (other countries). On top of that they build cars that rattle like shit boxes when driven more that 5k.
Agreed. Check this out then click on Michigan. Are unions that powerful that they can get payed that much for the U.S. vehicles they create? The "little" three need to grab their balls and handle both their product development and the unions. No way do those workers deserve to get payed twice the amount of foreign car company workers.

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/s...ers/index.html
      12-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
osteome
Major

Drives: 2009 M3 E93 SSII/Bamboo

I would never buy anything from the "Big Three", so I certainly don't think that my tax money should go to own a chunk of them.

If no bank in the nation will loan them money, then why should I?
osteome is offline   United_States
      12-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Poderes1
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Poderes1
They need to get rid of the union. I can sum it ip this way

Big 3 + union workers = Poor quality product

Foreign automakers + non-union workers = Better quality product
08 E92 335 i AW/CR, Alum Trim, Prem & Sport Pkgs, Step w/Paddles, Nav, 3M 20% tint all around, Passport 9500i radar, JB3 v2.0 with USB, Matte Black Grills, RPI Ram Air Scoops, OSS Full Blackout Angels V2, LED Turnsignals and sidemarkers, Helix V2 Stepped Front Mount Intercooler, Bastuck Quad Exhaust, Custom rear valence, Forged 1 Eight Deep Concaves Coral Red/Matte Black centers and Gloss Black Barrels 20x8.5f and 20x10.5r
Poderes1 is offline   United_States
      12-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
nissan
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 E90

As much as it was needed, I don't support the bailing out of the fin. svcs. institutions out there -- same goes for the auto companies. What I don't understand is why the govt. is playing favorites (letting BSC & LEH fall, banning shorts, propping up MER/AIG/any fin. instit. that asks). It can be argued that many of the large financial institutions also didn't deserve our tax monies b/c their management, too, made bad bets that led to their failure. Yet, the govt. is apparently more willing to help them w/o any sort of justification or requirement that management change its course. Yes, the implications of an AIG failure would be massive, but the principle is the same -- why prop up companies whose management has led it into a disastrous situation?
      12-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
As much as it was needed, I don't support the bailing out of the fin. svcs. institutions out there -- same goes for the auto companies. What I don't understand is why the govt. is playing favorites (letting BSC & LEH fall, banning shorts, propping up MER/AIG/any fin. instit. that asks). It can be argued that many of the large financial institutions also didn't deserve our tax monies b/c their management, too, made bad bets that led to their failure. Yet, the govt. is apparently more willing to help them w/o any sort of justification or requirement that management change its course. Yes, the implications of an AIG failure would be massive, but the principle is the same -- why prop up companies whose management has led it into a disastrous situation?
Because everyone fears the second coming of the Depression. The trickling effect would be catastrophic.