BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #67
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
229

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

I love this thread. Any thread with such polarized opinions mixed with great discussion is awesome in my book.

Personally, I am completely enamored by the notch-back profile of the E93. Ever since the E92 pictures first hit the net, I have not taken a strong liking to the rather soft flowing B pillar. In fact, for this reason, I also prefer the E90 profile vs. the E92 profile. To my eye, the sharper, tighter turn that is the transition from hood to windshield on these cars makes the slow flowing "woman's foot slipping into a high-heel" look of the B-Pillar on the E92 seem just a bit too dramatic. I realize that using such terminology while in tandem driving a convertible will probably get me endless flaming but that's fine. Its just a discussion after all.

Combine that aggressive rear roofline with a darker color and dark wheels and you have a real winner, by my eye. Here's a pic of my car as it looks right now. This is perfection in my mind.
Attached Images
 
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #68
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
7

 
M3MIKE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 COUPE
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES


Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I love this thread. Any thread with such polarized opinions mixed with great discussion is awesome in my book.

Personally, I am completely enamored by the notch-back profile of the E93. Ever since the E92 pictures first hit the net, I have not taken a strong liking to the rather soft flowing B pillar. In fact, for this reason, I also prefer the E90 profile vs. the E92 profile. To my eye, the sharper, tighter turn that is the transition from hood to windshield on these cars makes the slow flowing "womens foot slipping into a high-heel" look of the B-Pillar on the E92 seem just a bit too dramatic. I realize that using such terminology while in tandem driving a convertible will probably get me endless flaming but that's fine. Its just a discussion after all.
It's why we love and hate these machines so much.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #69
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I love this thread. Any thread with such polarized opinions mixed with great discussion is awesome in my book.

Personally, I am completely enamored by the notch-back profile of the E93. Ever since the E92 pictures first hit the net, I have not taken a strong liking to the rather soft flowing B pillar. In fact, for this reason, I also prefer the E90 profile vs. the E92 profile. To my eye, the sharper, tighter turn that is the transition from hood to windshield on these cars makes the slow flowing "woman's foot slipping into a high-heel" look of the B-Pillar on the E92 seem just a bit too dramatic. I realize that using such terminology while in tandem driving a convertible will probably get me endless flaming but that's fine. Its just a discussion after all.

Combine that aggressive rear roofline with a darker color and dark wheels and you have a real winner, by my eye. Here's a pic of my car as it looks right now. This is perfection in my mind.
You've confused me here. When you say B-pillar, are you referring to the C-pillar? There isn't a B-pillar on the e92.

My tastes are actually the opposite of yours. I like the way the roofline is one continuous curving line on the e92. Usually I prefer a long sloping C-pillar (for reference, check out the S5 or something like an Altima Coupe).
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #70
AtoB
Major
United_States
69

 
AtoB's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4M
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston


Posts: 1,260
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
well the z4 I like the soft top. its a different kinda car though, so imo, you cant compare the z4 soft top to the 3 hard.,

I think that I like the z4 better with a soft top, so I guess jsut depends what car.
i agree... i thin the new volvo convertible's hardtop is a great example.... it looks fantastic... blends beautifully with the lines of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #71
hipvspec
Lieutenant
United_States
10

 
hipvspec's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i/F15 X5 Sdrive Noline
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calii


Posts: 560
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
That's your opinion. I know plenty of people who find soft top 'verts aesthetically pleasing. Personally I think the lines of the E93 look bad in comparison to the E90/E92.
i guess that's why the RR phantom drophead insist to use cloth roof? e93's roof are surely the a best of both world solution and it's very well engineered, but every time when i see one i always think it looks like the roof is not completely closed. i meant those window trims are not always completely lined up, and the middle roof seam that's above the front seat head rests looks tiny weeny bit squashed down, plus the roof seam next to the rear seat head rests is kinda too noticeable on light color car, combine all the above making the silhouette of the roof looks a bit funky. but with the top down, it's gorgeous. i am not trying to convince anyone i am just sharing my opinion. at the end beauty is from the eyes of the beholder, so maybe i am just too damn old
__________________

Last edited by hipvspec; 11-12-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #72
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
56

 
Rick Hunter's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 Imola Red ///M Coupé
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Emerald City


Posts: 1,809
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
KEEP IN MIND - I have painted the ugly chrome trim around the window that ruins the 335 and M3 Convertible in my opinion.[/i]
Blacked out chrome trim + tint = FTW.

Yummy ride, man.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #73
watrob
Major
Australia
41

 
watrob's Avatar
 
Drives: MY2013 X5M 50d - White
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane - Australia


Posts: 1,494
iTrader: (0)

I have noticed that in the States your verts have a chrome trim and not the black shadowline like we get!
__________________

X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #74
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
42

 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO


Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
You know the point of diminishing returns right? The 3 series is right at the tip of it, and then you have everything else where you're gonna pay a lot more for not much more.
While I don't agree with everything you said above, fair enough. Obviously someone is buying them.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #75
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
Canada
181

 
SlammedR8's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto


Posts: 4,937
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I have noticed that in the States your verts have a chrome trim and not the black shadowline like we get!

Good observation, you are correct!
That is why like I said in my previous post on the 3rd page of this thread that painting the trim helps smooth out the lines of the hardtop.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #76
M3NNIS
Colonel
114

 
M3NNIS's Avatar
 
Drives: a truck for now
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DFW


Posts: 2,191
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to M3NNIS Send a message via MSN to M3NNIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
i agree... i thin the new volvo convertible's hardtop is a great example.... it looks fantastic... blends beautifully with the lines of the car.
the lines are not bad on the volvo, but the volvo is ugly in general.
however, the vovlo did a good job on their trunk. the lines where the trunk lifts are blended nicly in, and when the top is closed the trunk sits over the window hiding the "sitting on top: look that the 3 series has.
the rest of the roof looks about the same to me.

that said, would anyone buy that volvo convertible over a 3 series? probably not.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #77
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
229

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
You've confused me here. When you say B-pillar, are you referring to the C-pillar? There isn't a B-pillar on the e92.
Yeah, I meant the second pillar. The fact that I called it B instead of C was because I was OTL when I wrote that.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #78
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
229

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
I have noticed that in the States your verts have a chrome trim and not the black shadowline like we get!
I'm pretty sure you can get shadowline trim on an E93 335i or 328i as of MY2009 if you order the sport package.

But not on the M3 (= BMW NA FAIL).
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #79
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
While I don't agree with everything you said above, fair enough. Obviously someone is buying them.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #80
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yeah, I meant the second pillar. The fact that I called it B instead of C was because I was OTL when I wrote that.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #81
graider
Colonel
28

 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto


Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYON View Post
That's your opinion. I know plenty of people who find soft top 'verts aesthetically pleasing. Personally I think the lines of the E93 look bad in comparison to the E90/E92.
^^I have to agree with the other guy bro, soft top looks horrible on any vert. Hard top is the future. That is the reason why all companies are switching to hard top vert now, including ferrari california (gay car IMO).
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #82
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
^^I have to agree with the other guy bro, soft top looks horrible on any vert. Hard top is the future. That is the reason why all companies are switching to hard top vert now, including ferrari california (gay car IMO).
the reason they're switching to hardtops is because that's what the general public believes is best. they're not all-out superior.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:32 PM   #83
cn555ic
Bimmerscoding.com
United_States
314

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York


Posts: 18,286
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
bought my car just for the sake of it having a hardtop...My previous verts were E30...E36....all were softops but I bought the hard top as an accessory that cost me 2000+ for each of them...I went through all the problems of the dreaded plastic rear window that i had to change every 4 years...Finally the E46 came out with the glass rear window and I was about to pull the trigger, but heard about the E93 coming out in 2007 so I waited until the E93 debut...It was everything I wanted a vert with a hardtop and glass rear window...Coming from two cars that had the softop and buying a hardtop cover for it, it was indeed the best thing that came out...I was always jealous of the MB SL500 that came out in a hardtop for quite a while...In fact I was leaning towards buying one just for the sake of a luxury car with a convertible hardtop...Test drove a one and its nothing like a BMW for sure even if it was one of MB top of the line cars!! I have my E93 for two years and I have to say it looks incredible, the lines on the hardtop are indeed less noticeable on a darker car and that definitely helps...A stock E93 might look awkward, but a fully modded one is beyond expectations...I am going to keep this car for at least 10-15 years and give it to my kids for their first car....I have it two years and only 3400 miles on it!
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area


Last edited by cn555ic; 01-28-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #84
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
bought my car just for the sake of it having a hardtop...My previous verts were E30...E36....all were softops but I bought the hard top as an accessory that cost me 2000+ for each of them...I went through all the problems of the dreaded plastic rear window that i had to change every 4 years...Finally the E46 came out with the glass rear window and I was about to pull the trigger, but heard about the E93 coming out in 2007 so I waited until the E93 debut...It was everything I wanted a vert with a hardtop and glass rear window...Coming from two cars that had the softop and buying a hardtop cover for it, it was indeed the best thing that came out...I was always jealous of the MB SL500 that came out in a hardtop for quite a while...In fact I was leaning towards buying one just for the sake of a luxury car with a convertible hardtop...Test drove a one and its nothing like a BMW for sure even if it was one of MB top of the line cars!! I have my E93 for two years and I have to say it looks incredible, the lines on the hardtop are indeed less noticeable on a darker car and that definitely helps...A stock E93 might look awkward, but a fully modded one is beyond expectations...I am going to keep this car for at least 10-15 years and give it to my kids for their first car....I have it two years and only 3400 miles on it!
I hope your e93 holds up for 10-15 years. That's a long time.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #85
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
229

 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI


Posts: 13,783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I am going to keep this car for at least 10-15 years and give it to my kids for their first car....I have it two years and only 3400 miles on it!
Wow. Please go drive your car. I think you are missing out on so much enjoyment by letting it sit so much. Don't worry about saving it, especially for the kids, they should start off in something less likely to get keyed or get them killed.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #86
bavarian19
General
United_States
375

 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA


Posts: 18,815
iTrader: (23)

While I like the hardtop better, I wish BMW could have somehow made the top a two piece folding top like the Merc SL's are.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST