BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #45
V1.47fan
Major
 
V1.47fan's Avatar
 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
Incorrect, the e92M3 camber is more aggressive than the e46M3 camber out of the box. I recently had my from camber set to neg ~1.4, or more; let me find the exact number (i'm drawing a blank on the exact toe figure as well), but -1.1 to -1.2 should be easy enough.

I also just called Dinan, and unless the tech was misrepresenting the product, he mentioned the camber plates will set the car just past -2.0 if needed.
What was your stock front camber on both sides? Mine was -1.1 deg,all I can do was -1.2 on the driver side and -1.3 on the passenger side,not exactly a significant range of camber adjustment from the factory as described by DINAN.
__________________
V1.47fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #46
DJ9
Captain
 
DJ9's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
What was your stock front camber on both sides? Mine was -1.1 deg,all I can do was -1.2 on the driver side and -1.3 on the passenger side,not exactly a significant range of camber adjustment from the factory as described by DINAN.
Let me check on this tonight and I'll ping you with the settings.
__________________
-Dave


2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
DJ9 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #47
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
 
Drives: M5, GT-R BE, C250
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 588
iTrader: (1)

Ok, so now the question is, how do the springs look installed?
nlpamg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #48
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
 
gthirtyfizle's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 2,636
iTrader: (4)

Would love to c how these look installed as well.
gthirtyfizle is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #49
DJ9
Captain
 
DJ9's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Just imagine your index finger's width....prob wont even notice in the front, and it will look a bit more aggressive in the rear.

I'm going to look into this a bit more, looks promising; however i have a uneasy feeling about Dinan right now.

I know that several dealers in my area did not renew their "Dinan Authorized" dealer status; and in fact started to pull back on servicing/working with Dinan on Dinan spec'd cars. What's strange is, these dealer used to be really into Dinan; so I'm not sure what's going on.

By the way, 8.9 hours for install is absurd; and it also includes an alignment in this work order. You can do a full coilover install in about 3 hours.
__________________
-Dave


2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
DJ9 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #50
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
Just imagine your index finger's width....prob wont even notice in the front, and it will look a bit more aggressive in the rear.

I'm going to look into this a bit more, looks promising; however i have a uneasy feeling about Dinan right now.

I know that several dealers in my area did not renew their "Dinan Authorized" dealer status; and in fact started to pull back on servicing/working with Dinan on Dinan spec'd cars. What's strange is, these dealer used to be really into Dinan; so I'm not sure what's going on.

By the way, 8.9 hours for install is absurd; and it also includes an alignment in this work order. You can do a full coilover install in about 3 hours.
I think the 8.9 hrs probably comes from the standard time estimate from the E46. I called a couple shops about installing springs and most of them quoted me this number.

I am sure that when shops have done this they will quote less. 8.9 is just a conservative estimate.

When I did my H&R it took 6 hrs with hand tools. So a shop with airtools can do it in 4 hrs.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #51
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Also there seems to be a couple discrepencies with Dinan's numbers vs. my measurements:

Stock bumpstop:
2-1/4" (my measurement); 2-3/8" (Dinan's claim)

Stock suspension travel fefore loading bumpstop:
3/4 inches (see picture); 1/2" (Dinan's claim)

Could be that our cars are in different conditions, weather, etc. Just thought to keep everyone informed.


__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #52
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Also there seems to be a couple discrepencies with Dinan's numbers vs. my measurements:

Stock bumpstop:
2-1/4" (my measurement); 2-3/8" (Dinan's claim)

Stock suspension travel fefore loading bumpstop:
3/4 inches (see picture); 1/2" (Dinan's claim)

Could be that our cars are in different conditions, weather, etc. Just thought to keep everyone informed.
Thanks for these measurements.

I will be waiting on the sidelines until the dust settles before I mess with the stock setup.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #53
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,482
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Suspension measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Also there seems to be a couple discrepencies with Dinan's numbers vs. my measurements:

Stock bumpstop:
2-1/4" (my measurement); 2-3/8" (Dinan's claim)

Stock suspension travel fefore loading bumpstop:
3/4 inches (see picture); 1/2" (Dinan's claim)

Could be that our cars are in different conditions, weather, etc. Just thought to keep everyone informed.
It looks like you measured this with the car's weight off the suspension?
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #54
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
It looks like you measured this with the car's weight off the suspension?
Gap was measured with the weight on. It would have been much bigger if the car were lifted.

Bumpstop length was measured when I took it off for H&R install.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #55
MVEED3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '08 e90 M3/'12 S1k
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Diego

Posts: 254
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Dinan parts have been called overpriced. However, they have never been called cheap or of poor quality. And, Dinan parts always appear to work very well while maintaining the over all feel of the car.

Bottom line, after almost 7 years of tuning my BMW's I gotta say I have never heard or seen anything I didnt like from Dinan.
You haven't heard of their 1st gen exhaust upgrade on the e36 M3? It was a factory muffler that they gutted and re-tipped with Dinan chrome. That was a joke. Dinan is more for the uninformed enthusiast that buys their mods from the stealer, IMO.

As someone stated earlier, we like to get verification of performance from posted reviews before we buy anything. I recommend going one step further. Look into your regional section and request a ride in a car with the parts in question. Today's forums have become flooded with posters that are opinionated in things that they don't fully understand. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in this thread, I'm just stating a fact.


Allen
__________________
2012 Bluefire S1kRR
Ohlins~Akra~Brembo~Lightech~Gilles
2008 Sparkling Graphite e90 M3 6spd
AST~Vorshlag~Akra~Advan~Yoko~Pagid~BMW Performance
MVEED3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #56
mdrobc13
Major
 
mdrobc13's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 BMW 550i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: On a base somewhere near or afar!

Posts: 1,485
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
I'm going to look into this a bit more, looks promising; however i have a uneasy feeling about Dinan right now.

I know that several dealers in my area did not renew their "Dinan Authorized" dealer status; and in fact started to pull back on servicing/working with Dinan on Dinan spec'd cars. What's strange is, these dealer used to be really into Dinan; so I'm not sure what's going on.
I heard from my dealer and also I think read somewhere a quote from BMW AG and BMW NA that the reason that some dealers are pulling back on their Dinan status is cause BMW is trying to push their new Performance Parts selection out and wants the dealers to push those for options on cars and installation for modifications for those who want something more for their dealer ordered regular cars. Also the article I read I think alluded to the fact that BMW NA never meant for the Dinan Authorized status to take on the state it did amongst the dealers and it was sort of an uneasy and unspoken acceptance by BMW NA and BMW AG due to the fact that it was and is highly difficulty to get an Alpina BMW or other factory authorized BWM tuner car in the US. Along with the denial of BMW Individual in the states...Dinan was kinda the unspoken and unexcepted option. However now I think BMW has recognized the loss in sales and market share for these modded cars and wants to capture that $$$.

Sounds sensible and reasonable. Dinan however will still authorized their cars out as before which equals the factory warranty anyway; it just may be a little more difficult to find authorized shops that are ALSO BMW dealerships in the future.
__________________
'12 F10 550i (Dinan Stage 5, LSD, Intercoolers, CF Intake/Brace, Shockware, Springs, Eisenmann Race Exhaust, CF front/rear difuser, Giovanni Graphite 20" wheels)
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'06 e85 Z4 M Roadster (Black Metallic) -Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
mdrobc13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #57
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
 
sfbimmer13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Target/Stock Camber front is: -1.28 degree
Target/Stock Camber rear is: -0.19 degrees

BMW set mine to -1.54 degree front and -1.22 degree back, which constitutes also the most aggressive setting you get out of the stock suspension - according to BMW
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 E92 M3 M-DCT - Sparkling Graphite - Fox Red - Tech Package - Premium Package - Moonroof - Enhanced Premium Sound - HD Radio - iPod USB interface - PDC - Remus Race Exhaust
sfbimmer13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #58
DJ9
Captain
 
DJ9's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Francisco/Marin County, CA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Hey Rupert- I heard the same thing as you; and it does make sense; only problem is BMW Performance parts are not applicable to M cars; since in BMW's words, "you cant get any higher than an M car."

Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see the results.

See you tomorrow at Infineon, save me a spot next to you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
I heard from my dealer and also I think read somewhere a quote from BMW AG and BMW NA that the reason that some dealers are pulling back on their Dinan status is cause BMW is trying to push their new Performance Parts selection out and wants the dealers to push those for options on cars and installation for modifications for those who want something more for their dealer ordered regular cars. Also the article I read I think alluded to the fact that BMW NA never meant for the Dinan Authorized status to take on the state it did amongst the dealers and it was sort of an uneasy and unspoken acceptance by BMW NA and BMW AG due to the fact that it was and is highly difficulty to get an Alpina BMW or other factory authorized BWM tuner car in the US. Along with the denial of BMW Individual in the states...Dinan was kinda the unspoken and unexcepted option. However now I think BMW has recognized the loss in sales and market share for these modded cars and wants to capture that $$$.

Sounds sensible and reasonable. Dinan however will still authorized their cars out as before which equals the factory warranty anyway; it just may be a little more difficult to find authorized shops that are ALSO BMW dealerships in the future.
__________________
-Dave


2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
DJ9 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Banned
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 10,923
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks for these measurements.

I will be waiting on the sidelines until the dust settles before I mess with the stock setup.
I'm with you on this lucid.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #60
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
Target/Stock Camber front is: -1.28 degree
Target/Stock Camber rear is: -0.19 degrees

BMW set mine to -1.54 degree front and -1.22 degree back, which constitutes also the most aggressive setting you get out of the stock suspension - according to BMW
hey sfbimmer where did you get the spec from?
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #61
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
 
sfbimmer13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
hey sfbimmer where did you get the spec from?
I have the printout from the alignment that stated the BMW target specs - I have asked them to dial in the most aggressive neg camber the suspension allows - so now the sheet shows that I am way out of the BMW specs - this was done at BMW so I assume that they have the appropriate specs
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 E92 M3 M-DCT - Sparkling Graphite - Fox Red - Tech Package - Premium Package - Moonroof - Enhanced Premium Sound - HD Radio - iPod USB interface - PDC - Remus Race Exhaust
sfbimmer13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #62
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
I have the printout from the alignment that stated the BMW target specs - I have asked them to dial in the most aggressive neg camber the suspension allows - so now the sheet shows that I am way out of the BMW specs - this was done at BMW so I assume that they have the appropriate specs
good to know. thanks.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #63
V1.47fan
Major
 
V1.47fan's Avatar
 
Drives: Bay M Vee
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NATIONWIDE

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
Target/Stock Camber front is: -1.28 degree
Target/Stock Camber rear is: -0.19 degrees

BMW set mine to -1.54 degree front and -1.22 degree back, which constitutes also the most aggressive setting you get out of the stock suspension - according to BMW
My rear camber was -1.4,changed it to -1.9.The difference has been day and night.Before I was able to easily break the rear loose in a slalom or a sweeper,not anymore with -1.9 rear camber...

I'm getting H&R springs sport,hopefully it'll get my front camber to -1.4 to -1.5 from -1.2
__________________
V1.47fan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #64
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 924
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
I heard from my dealer and also I think read somewhere a quote from BMW AG and BMW NA that the reason that some dealers are pulling back on their Dinan status is cause BMW is trying to push their new Performance Parts selection out and wants the dealers to push those for options on cars and installation for modifications for those who want something more for their dealer ordered regular cars.
I think this point is very well made - BMW Performance parts, as far as I know, can be installed by the dealer and rolled into a lease on a new or used car with BMW Financial. From a dealer's standpoint, that's a golden opportunity to sell lots of upgrades - a better option than selling Dinan.

As for upgrading the M3, at this point the jury's still out on which upgrades will actually improve the car's performance and which ones are just there for bragging rights.
JAJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #65
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Had my H&Rs aligned today.

The mechanic told me that the fronts are at -1.6/-1.7 and rears are at -1.7/-1.7, and cannot go anymore positive on the front unless I get camber plates. Toes are set to 0.2.

He said that after the drop the front toe is completely off, but the rears are ok.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete

Last edited by rzm3; 11-09-2008 at 12:12 PM.
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #66
e46e92love
Brigadier General
 
e46e92love's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The East Side of Things

Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by serven7 View Post
Save the coin and go buy the RD sport, H&R or Eibach. If and when your EDC breaks put the stock springs back on and go play stupid.
Its the honest people like you that just make the world a better place
__________________

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST