BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
mightyaa
Private
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Offsets and clearance?

Ok, I've searched around and come up with the stock settings. But it'd be helpful if anyone knows the additional clearances you have with stock settings to figure out maximum wheel and tire sizes. The E90 post section has a nice calculator, but it's meaningless without knowing how much extra space you have before rubbing with upsizing. I'm looking at this from a track setup where I'd like to put a lot of rubber under the wheel wells and pick a wheel/spacer solution; difficult atm due to both tire and wheel limited selections.

As I understand it, the E90 M3's are setup like this stock:
Front: 18x8.5-ET29 running 245/40r18 OR 19x8.5-ET29 w/ 245/35r19
Rear: 18x9.5-ET23 running 265/40r18 OR 19x9.5-ET23 w/ 265/35r19

Bolt pattern is 5x120

So, does anyone know the clearances from the stock settings to the strut tower (inside) and to the exterior wheel arc (outside)? With those numbers, I crunch out the rest to figure out a combo that works.
mightyaa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
 
Drives: 08 M3 replaced with 11 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Is it safe?

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyaa View Post
Ok, I've searched around and come up with the stock settings. But it'd be helpful if anyone knows the additional clearances you have with stock settings to figure out maximum wheel and tire sizes. The E90 post section has a nice calculator, but it's meaningless without knowing how much extra space you have before rubbing with upsizing. I'm looking at this from a track setup where I'd like to put a lot of rubber under the wheel wells and pick a wheel/spacer solution; difficult atm due to both tire and wheel limited selections.

As I understand it, the E90 M3's are setup like this stock:
Front: 18x8.5-ET29 running 245/40r18 OR 19x8.5-ET29 w/ 245/35r19
Rear: 18x9.5-ET23 running 265/40r18 OR 19x9.5-ET23 w/ 265/35r19

Bolt pattern is 5x120

So, does anyone know the clearances from the stock settings to the strut tower (inside) and to the exterior wheel arc (outside)? With those numbers, I crunch out the rest to figure out a combo that works.
TRMotorsports 18x10 inch will fit all around with 285/30/18 BFG R1 all around, no rubbing. Offset: 25mm Backspacing: 6.41" Used for 6 track days. Really nice set up But could use 10.5 or 11 " rears with 305 -315
MarksM is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,598
iTrader: (14)

try the tire calc at e90post.com tire and wheels section
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ilia@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,141
iTrader: (3)

Our current offsets on our E90 M3 are pretty aggressive in terms of outer fender clearance



It's hard to tell in the photo, but this sizing is very close to the outer limit of what's possible on the stock sheetmetal on an E90 M3. The car currently has 20x9 +18 front, and 20x10.5 +18 rear wheels, with 255 and 285 tires in the front and rear, respectively. This setup is very aggressive, and will rub the fenders just a bit.

To maximize the amount of tire you can fit under the stock sheetmetal, I'd recommend running a higher offset than this- you'll be able to run beefier tires as a result. I'm not 100% on the inboard clearance on the E90 M3, but can measure this week. Going up in width and raising the offset will allow for you to run as much wheel and tire as possible.

I know this isn't exactly the answer you needed, but I hope it at least helps you see how much room you have on the outside of the fender. Once we figure out inboard clearance, you should have a pretty good idea of the maximum sizing you can run.
__________________
Ilia@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
King Tut
Individual LSB - Rust Brown
 
King Tut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Coupe Individual
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL

Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I'm looking at trying to get a 305/30/19 on a 19x10.5 +25 wheel. I know there are guys running 315s on a 11 inch wheel, so I hope this will fit.
__________________
King Tut
2012 BMW M3 Individual: lsb.ridedomain.com
1987 BMW 325is SpecE30: spece30.ridedomain.com
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
King Tut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
I bought a second set of OEM 18 inch wheels. I'm running 18 x 9.5 et23 on all four corners and they clear in the front.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
mightyaa
Private
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver

Posts: 70
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the input.
On the front:
So far MarksM has run the widest setup up front with his 18x10 et25 and 285/30r18's. Looking at thread by Sayemthree http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154323, he noted his setup of 18x9et35 with 5mm spacers (et30) and 265/35/18's had 8-10mm clearance to the strut. MarksM setup would be 1mm tighter to the strut leaving approximately 7-9mm clearance, and 25mm wider on the outside. Ilia@Ind's setup came up 6mm narrower than MarksM on the outside. I'm just guessing the 285 is as wide as it will get without going to fender-rolling.

It might be possible to do a 295 with a 20mm offset and rolling the fender... this would give me a 6-8mm clearance to the strut (very tight) and an extra 11mm wider than MarksM's setup, but it'd also throw off the alignment slightly. Does this sound right?

How much extra room to the strut do you think I ought to consider if I add camber plates and go a bit more negative?

Haven't figured out the rear yet, but it's much less troublesome than the front.
mightyaa is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
 
Irb Digital's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Irb Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
Our current offsets on our E90 M3 are pretty aggressive in terms of outer fender clearance



It's hard to tell in the photo, but this sizing is very close to the outer limit of what's possible on the stock sheetmetal on an E90 M3. The car currently has 20x9 +18 front, and 20x10.5 +18 rear wheels, with 255 and 285 tires in the front and rear, respectively. This setup is very aggressive, and will rub the fenders just a bit.

To maximize the amount of tire you can fit under the stock sheetmetal, I'd recommend running a higher offset than this- you'll be able to run beefier tires as a result. I'm not 100% on the inboard clearance on the E90 M3, but can measure this week. Going up in width and raising the offset will allow for you to run as much wheel and tire as possible.

I know this isn't exactly the answer you needed, but I hope it at least helps you see how much room you have on the outside of the fender. Once we figure out inboard clearance, you should have a pretty good idea of the maximum sizing you can run.


Are you rubbing in the front and rear? I'm thinking about going with 19x9.5 +17 (255-265) front and 19x10.5 +18 (285) rear. I don't plan on lowering the car unless the gap is bad, even then I wouldn't lower it much (1 inch tops). Do you think this setup will rub?
Irb Digital is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ilia@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,141
iTrader: (3)

I believe your front wheels will rub, as our fronts are already quite close. I'd certainly stick with a 255 or smaller tire if I was going to run that aggressive of a width and offset. The 10.5 +18 with a 285 does rub just a bit on our car.

Aggressive offsets are always a bit hard to judge, as exactly how everything will fit will largely depend on the specifics of your exact setup- wheel pad height, true tire section width (advertised width is rarely exactly the actual width of the tire) your car's camber settings, etc...

You can fit a 19x9.5 +17 and a 19x10.5 +18, but you're going to have to be willing to adjust ride height, camber, and tire size to fit offsets like that.
__________________
Ilia@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
 
Irb Digital's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 458
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Irb Digital
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
I believe your front wheels will rub, as our fronts are already quite close. I'd certainly stick with a 255 or smaller tire if I was going to run that aggressive of a width and offset. The 10.5 +18 with a 285 does rub just a bit on our car.

Aggressive offsets are always a bit hard to judge, as exactly how everything will fit will largely depend on the specifics of your exact setup- wheel pad height, true tire section width (advertised width is rarely exactly the actual width of the tire) your car's camber settings, etc...

You can fit a 19x9.5 +17 and a 19x10.5 +18, but you're going to have to be willing to adjust ride height, camber, and tire size to fit offsets like that.


Many thanks for the informative post. I'm going to have to talk to my wheel guy today. And come up with a plan, supposedly Volk recommends this for an "aggressive" offset. But I'm thinking I need to determine tire size first and then decide rim size.
Irb Digital is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ilia@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,141
iTrader: (3)

Volk is correct in saying that the offset is aggressive- it would fit the car, but would need fairly small, maybe even stretched tires to fit, especially in the front. With the right tire sizing and camber, that setup would fit, and be very very flush. I'd run offsets like that on a street car, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and not everyone is into extreme wheel sizing like this.
__________________
Ilia@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2008, 11:57 PM   #12
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Ryan@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago

Posts: 4,263
iTrader: (16)

Send a message via AIM to Ryan@IND Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan@IND
The Volk wheels are certainly an aggressive fitment. the rears will fit and with 285 tires and some camber adjustment, the rears may not rub.

As for the fronts, I think that you will definitely need some camber adjustments to make sure that they do not rub, but I don't that it is impossible.

275/30-19's have been fit on the front with 19 - 9.0 +28 offsets before. From just the math, it seems to be almost the same kind of overall width, relative to the hub.
Ryan@IND is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST