BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
VF Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

No 8400 Redline after 1200 oil change?

Just got my 1200 oil change done and thus I proceeded to unleash the car a bit on the way to work (though its really hard to do that on city streets... thing is too fast!). Anyway, noticed that the pre-warning strip on the tach's border was still present before the 8400 redline, around 7500 rpms. The temperature guage read a little over 210 F.

I was under the impression that after the 1200 service the 8400 redline should be available? Does it take a long time to reach a suitable temperature for that or did the service guys forget to change the car's setting?

Thanks
Kobaiyashi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
2008bimmerM3
Second Lieutenant
 
2008bimmerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: JB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SO CAL

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Where did you get the car serviced at? Was it the dealer you bought the car from?
2008bimmerM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
endofanera7
Major General
 
endofanera7's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 5,144
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
I thought you are not suppose to redline till you reach 3000? 1200-3000 is still in the break-in period and it's not recommended that you push the car to its limit.
endofanera7 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

1. Bought the car from Sterling BMW. Had it serviced there.

2. Haven't red-lined it even at the lower 7500 (did get close though, prolly 7000) but just was wondering when the full range of the engine would be made available. The sound is quite addictive.
Kobaiyashi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
endofanera7
Major General
 
endofanera7's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 5,144
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
the service manager at my dealer told me that I shouldnt push it above 5500rpm. I know it's tempting! I cant wait till I reach 3000 miles too. Keep telling myself to take it easy everytime I start to accelerate. I havent push it above 5500 yet, maybe once accidentally!
endofanera7 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
noxredna
Captain
 
noxredna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe, 2012 BMW M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philadelphia & Singapore

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

that sucks if you're still doing below 5500 rpm after your 1200 mile service.. i will shoot my head if i were you
noxredna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
sg///M3
Lieutenant
 
sg///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)

Is the actual redline still at 7500RPMs or is it the yellow area that starts there?
sg///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
Is the actual redline still at 7500RPMs or is it the yellow area that starts there?
the yellow area
Kobaiyashi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 6,776
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobaiyashi View Post
the yellow area
The yellow will always stay there. That is just to warn you that you are approaching redline. The redline appears to be at 8,250 graphically on the tach, but it should be 8,400 actual.

__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2008 M3 Coupe - Alpine/Fox Red/Carbon
2015 M4 pre-ordered 4/13
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
 
attbimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 991S, '88 E30 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 248
iTrader: (5)

The yellow area always stays there even after the car has fully warmed up. That is normal. The rev limiter will still kick in at 8400RPM and not 7500RPM.

The E46 M3 was the same way. It has a yellow area always present between 7500RPM and 8000RPM and the red line started at 8000RPM.

Also there is no official recommended max RPM after the 1200 mile break-in period. The manual does mention that you should increase RPMs gradually and stay below ~130mph until after 3000 miles.
attbimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Great! Thanks for the information guys.
Kobaiyashi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #12
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
The yellow will always stay there. That is just to warn you that you are approaching redline. The redline appears to be at 8,250 graphically on the tach, but it should be 8,400 actual.

I wonder why it only goes to 8250 graphically? That bugs me a bit, it should be closer to 8500 rpm.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
 
FifthStreetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Posts: 15,448
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Send a message via AIM to FifthStreetz
your good to go after 1200 miles. let her rip, the car will drive much better in the future if you drive it like how it's suppose to be driven.
FifthStreetz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
fjork_duf
Private First Class
 
Drives: Hopefully V8 M3 Soon
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

Let that motherf@cker rip. I just got my 1200 mile service, and it has been 8400rpm as much as possible. I can't be teased for another 1800 miles, that is just cruel and unusual punshment.

Plus once you unleash the fury you'll be validating your purchase. The car truly comes alive in the upper rev ranges. It's unreal. When I first went full speed I was shaking it's so fast. This is the fastest car I've ever owned. I'm sure some 911 turbo guys aren't that impressed but this car is awesome.

So DO IT. Get in your car, mash the gas, and transport into hyperspace. You'll be glad you did.
fjork_duf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
VelocityM3
Brian
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 ///M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Encinitas

Posts: 77
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
Let that motherf@cker rip. I just got my 1200 mile service, and it has been 8400rpm as much as possible. I can't be teased for another 1800 miles, that is just cruel and unusual punshment.

Plus once you unleash the fury you'll be validating your purchase. The car truly comes alive in the upper rev ranges. It's unreal. When I first went full speed I was shaking it's so fast. This is the fastest car I've ever owned. I'm sure some 911 turbo guys aren't that impressed but this car is awesome.

So DO IT. Get in your car, mash the gas, and transport into hyperspace. You'll be glad you did.


Same here, the car is built for this. Don't baby it. I eased into my high rpms first taking it to 6krpms for a few days. 7krpms for a few days. 8krpms for a few days and then let it rip. The rings have sealed within the first 100 miles anyway and during this period is when it is important to do the little things. I made sure to do tons of decelerations during this period. Just make sure your car is always nice and warm (ie: been running for 30min or so) and let her rip. Go enjoy your car.
VelocityM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
herosfc
Private First Class
 
herosfc's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Silverstone DCT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityM3 View Post


Same here, the car is built for this. Don't baby it. I eased into my high rpms first taking it to 6krpms for a few days. 7krpms for a few days. 8krpms for a few days and then let it rip. The rings have sealed within the first 100 miles anyway and during this period is when it is important to do the little things. I made sure to do tons of decelerations during this period. Just make sure your car is always nice and warm (ie: been running for 30min or so) and let her rip. Go enjoy your car.
ahhhh...i can't wait. my baby is going in tomorrow morning for the 1,200 service. in 24 hours, i'll be lettin' 'er rip!
herosfc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
zeeman335
Lieutenant
 
zeeman335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Massachusetts

Posts: 498
iTrader: (2)

Sorry to bring this post up from the dead but its been bothering me to know what people do after the 1200 mile service now. Do you still have to "take it easy" and not take it up to redline after the 1200 mile service? Do i REALLY have to wait till 3,000 miles?
__________________
zeeman335 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 890
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I wonder why it only goes to 8250 graphically? That bugs me a bit, it should be closer to 8500 rpm.
Probably because by the time you see your tach hitting 8250/8300 and react to shift, you will be at 8400 rpm and hitting fuel cutoff. Just my opinion....i shift by the sound, rarely look at the tach.

Or you are being sarcastic cause you have the 8600 redline mod...haha.
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
chris3g
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 186
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Probably because by the time you see your tach hitting 8250/8300 and react to shift, you will be at 8400 rpm and hitting fuel cutoff. Just my opinion....i shift by the sound, rarely look at the tach.

Or you are being sarcastic cause you have the 8600 redline mod...haha.
i think it's just because the e9x m3 uses the same gauge cluster as the e60 m5, which has an 8250 redline.
chris3g is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Carl L
Lieutenant
 
Carl L's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3 Jerez/Beige DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelocityM3 View Post


Same here, the car is built for this. Don't baby it. I eased into my high rpms first taking it to 6krpms for a few days. 7krpms for a few days. 8krpms for a few days and then let it rip. The rings have sealed within the first 100 miles anyway and during this period is when it is important to do the little things. I made sure to do tons of decelerations during this period. Just make sure your car is always nice and warm (ie: been running for 30min or so) and let her rip. Go enjoy your car.
Good grief man, 30 minutes to warm the oil up? Half that is more than enough.
__________________
09 M3 E92: Jerez/Bamboo
-prev M-car: 08 M5
Here to learn about the F80
Carl L is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
pbonsalb
Major
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,440
iTrader: (3)

My 08 M3 appears to have an 8300 rpm redline. Is it supposed to be 8400?
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman335 View Post
Sorry to bring this post up from the dead but its been bothering me to know what people do after the 1200 mile service now. Do you still have to "take it easy" and not take it up to redline after the 1200 mile service? Do i REALLY have to wait till 3,000 miles?
no. Take her up to 8400 and enjoy.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST