BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
AW_M3
///M
 
AW_M3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 AW/FR Extended
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kwt

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to AW_M3
Exclamation M3 Vs Mustang shelby gt500

Hey guys i saw today a Mustang shelby gt 500 but he was cruising at low speed, i wonder if it beats the M3 or not? i googled and some websites said it could do 0-60 in 4.3??? any1 with more knowledge please share
AW_M3 is offline   Kuwait
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
booforty
Major General
 
booforty's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London, UK

Posts: 8,813
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Straight line maybe but I very much doubt it once some cornering is involved!
booforty is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Alec693
BMWholic
 
Alec693's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Alec693 Send a message via MSN to Alec693 Send a message via Skype™ to Alec693
As far as I know Mustangs are still only good for dragging and pretty much always have been only good for that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Alec693 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (4)

There is actually another thread on racing a GT500. I think some guy on here actually has a buddy that wanted to race. Anyhoo, I was in the market for a GT500 before I decided on a second M3. Its fast, real fast in a straight line. I hung around SVT forums for a while and there were guys running 11's stock with drag radials so they are super fast with a hot shoe at the wheel and sticky rear tires. As far as twisties go, on a track they are descent only after a host of aftermarket suspension upgrades. On the street they are fast enough and can handle well enough to give us a run for our money. People like to throw the "twisties" catch all into the mix when we talk about pony cars but in reality most roads are not twisty enough or technical enough for there to be a large enough margin for the M3 to show its superior suspension geometery.

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
ihyln
Banned
 
Drives: M3post sucks
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: M3post sucks

Posts: 3,385
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
There is actually another thread on racing a GT500. I think some guy on here actually has a buddy that wanted to race. Anyhoo, I was in the market for a GT500 before I decided on a second M3. Its fast, real fast in a straight line. I hung around SVT forums for a while and there were guys running 11's stock with drag radials so they are super fast with a hot shoe at the wheel and sticky rear tires. As far as twisties go, on a track they are descent only after a host of aftermarket suspension upgrades. On the street they are fast enough and can handle well enough to give us a run for our money. People like to throw the "twisties" catch all into the mix when we talk about pony cars but in reality most roads are not twisty enough or technical enough for there to be a large enough margin for the M3 to show its superior suspension geometery.

Jason
THIS

There's a time and a place for M3s (on a track) but for everything else the GT500 and C63 are insane.
ihyln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
96OCTNE
Private First Class
 
96OCTNE's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Coast

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

96OCTNE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
addy85
Got beef?
 
addy85's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arlington Texas

Posts: 3,646
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
THIS

There's a time and a place for M3s (on a track) but for everything else the GT500 and C63 are insane.
we'll said

These real powerful cars being compared to an m3 in a straight line is whack. Everyone who bought an m3 knew they werent buying the king of the 1/4mile, most knew they were buying an all around extremly well balanced vehicle which the m3 is. I'd love to see what a supercharged m3 from the factory could do in a 1/4mile
__________________

Special Thanks to AU335
addy85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

It is a drivers race stock for stock, both are close to each other. The thing is, those cars become stupid fast in a hurry with very little money.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Burien, WA

Posts: 486
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Bunkei Send a message via MSN to Bunkei Send a message via Skype™ to Bunkei
Cool car, lots of mod potential with the S/C 5.4L. For the price though, I expect it to be much quicker, but the problem lies with its weight and its hard-to-launch nature.

Definitely a head-turner.

Problem is .. for not much more money, you can buy a base C6 Corvette. But it's definitely worth it for the die-hard Ford fans.
Bunkei is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkei View Post
Cool car, lots of mod potential with the S/C 5.4L. For the price though, I expect it to be much quicker, but the problem lies with its weight and its hard-to-launch nature.

Definitely a head-turner.

Problem is .. for not much more money, you can buy a base C6 Corvette. But it's definitely worth it for the die-hard Ford fans.
Depends how you look at it, you can destroy a C6 vette for very little money into the Gt500. You can put out 700 wheel with something like a whipple for around 5k I think, the car has some of the highest mod potential around.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 01:45 AM   #11
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

I just had a run in with one today on the freeway. Seemed quick as balls.
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #12
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Very very fast
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pleasanton, SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

drove one.....its brembo brake suck ballz, but its fast as hell! if you see one dont waste your time and embarass yourself. most of them are modded and are just waiting for someone to take the bait.
__________________
luckistryke is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #13
Sticky
Banned
 
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Anaheim Hills / Malibu

Posts: 2,244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
I just had a run in with one today on the freeway. Seemed quick as balls.
Had a run with a cab the other day, wasn't that quick, but the vert is heavy. Very possible you ran into a modded one.
Sticky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Had a run with a cab the other day, wasn't that quick, but the vert is heavy. Very possible you ran into a modded one.
Ya he had some grill stuff goin on so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some engine mods. He was cool though ... gave me a thumbs up.

Where are our aftermarket parts that don't cost as much as a Civic?
__________________


MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
MDCTFTW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #15
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
 
SHADY1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Jerez Black M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Killeen, Texas

Posts: 2,724
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Ya he had some grill stuff goin on so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some engine mods. He was cool though ... gave me a thumbs up.

Where are our aftermarket parts that don't cost as much as a Civic?
+1
__________________

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger,SPEC Super Twin Disk Clutch,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, AA X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,Arkym CF rear Diffuser
SHADY1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #16
synclastica_86
Captain
 
synclastica_86's Avatar
 
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
On any road/track aside from the drag strip... the M3 will smoke the GT500 big time... the M3 is a true handling car.... the GT500? it's so bad that I don't even want to touch it with a 10 foot pole...
__________________

Current: BMW F32 435iA, M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes Benz W221 S550 4matic, AMG Sports package
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes Benz W203 C230 Sportscoupe
synclastica_86 is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
Nebo335
Private First Class
 
Nebo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i JB3 6spd
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island NY

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
On any road/track aside from the drag strip... the M3 will smoke the GT500 big time... the M3 is a true handling car.... the GT500? it's so bad that I don't even want to touch it with a 10 foot pole...
LOL, agreed. This shouldn't even be a debate...
__________________
Nebo335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
ericlikescars
Second Lieutenant
 
ericlikescars's Avatar
 
Drives: murder.
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granada Hills, California

Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)

GT500 is a great and fast car, until a nightmare strikes. A corner.



M3. Nothing like a versatile car.
ericlikescars is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
 
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 606
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebo335 View Post
LOL, agreed. This shouldn't even be a debate...
Except for the fact that drag races are where e-peens are usually measured.
Kadarin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2008, 02:52 AM   #20
george1234k
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 M6 F12 2013 SL550
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Yeah I raced one and I destroyed it



















But of course I was in my 997 Turbo
george1234k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2008, 03:03 AM   #21
addy85
Got beef?
 
addy85's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arlington Texas

Posts: 3,646
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
__________________

Special Thanks to AU335
addy85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #22
Congoman775
Private First Class
 
Drives: hot wheels
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gainesville Florida

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

GT500 makes 600+ hp with a pulley swap... probaly a $500 deal for that car.

At that point... its not even worth it. Unless your doing launch control from a DCT, then its a match.

The real badass is going to be the Camaro SS, with 5k worth of toys it will make 600hp. so thats like 35-36k total... a good 10k less than what u'd pay for a GT500.
Congoman775 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST