BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
xxballinboi786
Captain
 
xxballinboi786's Avatar
 
Drives: Lamborghini
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 734
iTrader: (0)

Canon Rebel XTi Lens Suggestion??

Hi guys, I love taking pictures especially after seeing some of the pictures you guys produce. Some guys have the same camera and the pictures look amazing. I was wondering if this is because of the lens? If so, what kind of lens do you guys recommend? I mostly take pictures of cars, and the occasional family/school gathering. Thanks!
xxballinboi786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
Hi guys, I love taking pictures especially after seeing some of the pictures you guys produce. Some guys have the same camera and the pictures look amazing. I was wondering if this is because of the lens? If so, what kind of lens do you guys recommend? I mostly take pictures of cars, and the occasional family/school gathering. Thanks!
It's not the lens, nor the camera that makes pictures look amazing. It's the person behind the camera and their creativeness that are able to produce stunning captures. I'm not really sure of a good lens to recommend, but the 50mm f/1.8 is a nifty little lens that can be had for cheap (<$100), but doesn't seem money is an issue for you, so look for the 50mm f/1.4. Maybe some other folks can give better suggestions on lenses.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
xxballinboi786
Captain
 
xxballinboi786's Avatar
 
Drives: Lamborghini
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 734
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
It's not the lens, nor the camera that makes pictures look amazing. It's the person behind the camera and their creativeness that are able to produce stunning captures. I'm not really sure of a good lens to recommend, but the 50mm f/1.8 is a nifty little lens that can be had for cheap (<$100), but doesn't seem money is an issue for you, so look for the 50mm f/1.4. Maybe some other folks can give better suggestions on lenses.
Thanks. I'm not talking about the substance in the pictures that I've seen, I was talking about the quality. The colors are brighter and they jump out. Kind of like 1080p vs. 480i.
xxballinboi786 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
JNic335i
Captain
 
JNic335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to JNic335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
Thanks. I'm not talking about the substance in the pictures that I've seen, I was talking about the quality. The colors are brighter and they jump out. Kind of like 1080p vs. 480i.
it's all about post processing.
__________________
/// E92 | JB4 | UR DP | BMS DCI | H&R | LC Z2S |
JNic335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxballinboi786 View Post
Thanks. I'm not talking about the substance in the pictures that I've seen, I was talking about the quality. The colors are brighter and they jump out. Kind of like 1080p vs. 480i.
Oh I see what you mean. Well yeah, obviously like with anything you can buy there are low end lenses and high end lenses. Good luck, hopefully a few of those really good photographers on the board will post in here. Keep in mind, most folks tend to do a lot of Photoshop editting.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,281
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNic335i View Post
it's all about post processing.
Couldnt agree more.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Couldnt agree more.
I wish I could learn to use Photoshop. I get overwhelmed when I open it up and see like a billion different buttons and options. I need to find someone to teach me.

Did you guys teach yourselves or learn from someone?
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
JNic335i
Captain
 
JNic335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to JNic335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I wish I could learn to use Photoshop. I get overwhelmed when I open it up and see like a billion different buttons and options. I need to find someone to teach me.

Did you guys teach yourselves or learn from someone?
Photoshop is a task at first but I started playing with it in high school so I have had years to mess around with it. you need "Lightroom" from Photoshop. It's the easiest to work with.
__________________
/// E92 | JB4 | UR DP | BMS DCI | H&R | LC Z2S |
JNic335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNic335i View Post
Photoshop is a task at first but I started playing with it in high school so I have had years to mess around with it. you need "Lightroom" from Photoshop. It's the easiest to work with.
Hmm alright thanks. I will have to search for a torrent.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
l4wr3nc3
The Law.
 
l4wr3nc3's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rowland Heights, CA

Posts: 14,281
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to l4wr3nc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
I wish I could learn to use Photoshop. I get overwhelmed when I open it up and see like a billion different buttons and options. I need to find someone to teach me.

Did you guys teach yourselves or learn from someone?
I have never taken a photoshop class. I think the easiest way is to read online tutorials and just play around. Im sure taking a class will give you a really quick crash course to get you started so that may be a good option. But i always liked experimenting with things myself so i opted to just click every button and see what it does haha.
__________________

2008 Lotus Exige S240 | 2007 BMW 335i
l4wr3nc3 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,660
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I have never taken a photoshop class. I think the easiest way is to read online tutorials and just play around. Im sure taking a class will give you a really quick crash course to get you started so that may be a good option. But i always liked experimenting with things myself so i opted to just click every button and see what it does haha.
Haha okay. Thanks for the help. I am definitely going to be looking into a class, if there is one available at my university I'm gunna be taking that asap.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
vachss
Captain
 
Drives: Z4 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ventura County, CA

Posts: 786
iTrader: (1)

Levels, Saturation and Unsharp Mask. Just play around with these three functions and you'll get about 90% of the improvement Photoshop provides - and they're all present in the much more affordable Photoshop Elements.

While you can spend years learning to use all the functionality Photoshop provides you can do a whole lot just by teaching yourself to use these three simple functions.
vachss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
 
TurboFan's Avatar
 
Drives: sideways
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Knee deep in the pow

Posts: 6,207
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNic335i View Post
it's all about post processing.
or knowing how to setup your camera and use filters. Post processing FTL I'm probalby among the few that doesn't believe in using photoshop to create my images. It's much more interesting to me, and more fulfilling, to master my camera in the effort to make the images I want. I have a ways to go, but I'd rather make my images in the field, than at my desk. However, I am the first to say to each his own, and whatever floats your boat.
__________________

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
TurboFan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #14
BMWE90
Major
 
BMWE90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,153
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
or knowing how to setup your camera and use filters. Post processing FTL I'm probalby among the few that doesn't believe in using photoshop to create my images. It's much more interesting to me, and more fulfilling, to master my camera in the effort to make the images I want. I have a ways to go, but I'd rather make my images in the field, than at my desk. However, I am the first to say to each his own, and whatever floats your boat.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'd much rather take a little more time to capture a good picture than spend hours on my computer editing photos.
BMWE90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #15
snipersix
Brigadier General
 
snipersix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan Montego Blue
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Coquitlam, bc

Posts: 3,515
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to snipersix
if your a mac person, you can use aperture as well.
__________________

Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|AT|Nav/Idrive|PDC|Xenon Headlights| Black Leatherette Seats, Silver trim| COTM April 2010
Mods:PIAA, H&R Sport, Blacklines, BBS LM-R, Eisenman Race Quad Exhaust , Koni yellows, Full Mtech, Gloss Black Vinyl Roof
snipersix is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #16
JNic335i
Captain
 
JNic335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 657
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to JNic335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
or knowing how to setup your camera and use filters. Post processing FTL I'm probalby among the few that doesn't believe in using photoshop to create my images. It's much more interesting to me, and more fulfilling, to master my camera in the effort to make the images I want. I have a ways to go, but I'd rather make my images in the field, than at my desk. However, I am the first to say to each his own, and whatever floats your boat.
Some images have to be edited. I shoot in RAW so I edit settings all the time
__________________
/// E92 | JB4 | UR DP | BMS DCI | H&R | LC Z2S |
JNic335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST