BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Leg
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York, England

Posts: 844
iTrader: (0)

Post track day brakes question

I did Croft ast Sunday and the brakes held up just fine. Driving home they brakes were fine too (65 miles).

Whilst they are still performing fine they are now making a humming noise (I say now, this was Tuesday, I havent used the car since). All of the diagnostics through I Drive say all is well (green).

Im gonna pop the wheels off to look at the pads, my question was are the I Drive readings reliable and what is the likely cause?
__________________

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Leg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
 
sfbimmer13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
I did Croft ast Sunday and the brakes held up just fine. Driving home they brakes were fine too (65 miles).

Whilst they are still performing fine they are now making a humming noise (I say now, this was Tuesday, I havent used the car since). All of the diagnostics through I Drive say all is well (green).

Im gonna pop the wheels off to look at the pads, my question was are the I Drive readings reliable and what is the likely cause?
after my last track day (Laguna Seca) I noticed that I melted the pads and the rotors have a lot of pad material bonded to their surfaces. I had an incredible shimmy when braking, so I replaced the rotors, pads and flushed/replaced the break fluid with Motul 600 - the check control can only tell you when your pads are worn (sensors), but does not provide any information beyond that
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 E92 M3 M-DCT - Sparkling Graphite - Fox Red - Tech Package - Premium Package - Moonroof - Enhanced Premium Sound - HD Radio - iPod USB interface - PDC - Remus Race Exhaust
sfbimmer13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
I also got some pad transfer on my rotors after the track, the symptom being some brake shimmy. I'm going to drive it a while to see if it wears off, if it doesn't get better I'll get the rotors replaced. I did not experience any brake fade during the entire 3 day weekend.

Brake Ducts seem like the appropriate fix for this in the future. I hope someone develops them soon.

SFBimmer is correct, Idrive only measures brake pad wear, it's not going to give you any indication of problems with vibration in the brakes.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Leg
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York, England

Posts: 844
iTrader: (0)

No vibration or shimmying, just a humming noice when braking. Wierd.
__________________

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Leg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

probably pad materiel/

all you with a shimmey - dont waste good rotors and throw them away. have them lathed a minimum amount and take off the pad materiel.
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,600
iTrader: (14)

don't mean to thread jack, but how did your breytons hold up? or did you use OE wheels?
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
all you with a shimmey - dont waste good rotors and throw them away. have them lathed a minimum amount and take off the pad materiel.
Turning the rotors on a lathe might not solve the shimmey problem. It might work if it is simply a matter of uneven transfer of pad material, but if parts of the rotor have gone through some kind of change in material properties due to overheating, that might go deeper than the surface and removing a tiny bit of material off the surface would not change anything.

This has happened to me twice now. The first time, it went away in a couple of weeks. The second time, things are getting a bit better after a week, but we'll see, which suggests it might be uneven pad material transfer. Would using track pads help?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
This has happened to me twice now. The first time, it went away in a couple of weeks. The second time, things are getting a bit better after a week, but we'll see, which suggests it might be uneven pad material transfer. Would using track pads help?
I'm hoping my shimmy goes away as well.

Yes, track pads would help as they are more resistant to the heat and won't melt to the hot rotors.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
 
sfbimmer13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

just ordered Pagid Yellow RS 19s from Turner, since I will be in Laguna Seca for 2 days this weekend - I will post the results after I have used them.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 E92 M3 M-DCT - Sparkling Graphite - Fox Red - Tech Package - Premium Package - Moonroof - Enhanced Premium Sound - HD Radio - iPod USB interface - PDC - Remus Race Exhaust
sfbimmer13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #10
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer13 View Post
just ordered Pagid Yellow RS 19s from Turner, since I will be in Laguna Seca for 2 days this weekend - I will post the results after I have used them.
Great! Keep us posted please.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #11
Leg
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York, England

Posts: 844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
don't mean to thread jack, but how did your breytons hold up? or did you use OE wheels?
I use the OEM 18s for track, the Breyton 19s are for road use.
__________________

E92 M3, Breyton GTS 19s, black and carbon all over
Factory Mini John Cooper Works 211bhp
MK Indy R track car (road legal) 300bhp+ per ton, sequential box
VW Tiguan 4x4
Leg is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #12
sayemthree
Brigadier General
 
sayemthree's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa

Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Turning the rotors on a lathe might not solve the shimmey problem. It might work if it is simply a matter of uneven transfer of pad material, but if parts of the rotor have gone through some kind of change in material properties due to overheating, that might go deeper than the surface and removing a tiny bit of material off the surface would not change anything.

This has happened to me twice now. The first time, it went away in a couple of weeks. The second time, things are getting a bit better after a week, but we'll see, which suggests it might be uneven pad material transfer. Would using track pads help?
track pads - for sure!!!
sayemthree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST