BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

ESS Tuning
View Poll Results: Pick your vice presidential running mate
Sarah Palin 18 37.50%
Joe Biden 30 62.50%
None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

08-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Vote for VP - Palin vs. Biden

Who is the better VP pick?
Attached Images

scottwww is offline   United_States
      08-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

We know who Scott voted for...

08-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
We know who Scott voted for...

In this poll, my pick is the conservative cutie. In November, it is Darrell Castle. Palin is much more "interesting".

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      08-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
http://newsroom.mtv.com/2008/08/29/s...mtv-interview/

I don't know, she seems a bit "out there" the way she talks. "Blah blah blah blah blah, like, right on. thumbs up!"

She sounds like this girl I used to date. After 2 drinks she would start talking out of her ass about politics and conspiracy theories and how gas prices go up because its Israel that actually has all the oil but they still buy oil from Iraq to create shortages. She would go on for HOURS!
      08-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I don't know what McCain was thinking... She "hasn't given much thought to Iraq..."

She doesn't "believe" in evolution! ROFL

If the Dems have half a brain, they will rip her a new one. She sounds like an ABSOLUTE moron...
      08-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
ArtPE
Banned

Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I don't know what McCain was thinking... She "hasn't given much thought to Iraq..."

She doesn't "believe" in evolution! ROFL

If the Dems have half a brain, they will rip her a new one. She sounds like an ABSOLUTE moron...
she's a moron...no doubt...she looks stupid...void of intellect, empty
her big aspiration was to be a beauty queen for gawds sake!

little Jesus made adam and eve, they rode dynasours to the ark
      08-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
In this poll, my pick is the conservative cutie. In November, it is Darrell Castle. Palin is much more "interesting".
She's got five kids you know...none were delivered via c-section...
Still interesting?

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      08-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio

Drives: 08' 328i

if people are picking her because she's pretty...

wow... they need to take a cold shower and lose the hard on.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
      08-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post

It's not really about creation of life. That's the kicker. The Theory of Evolution does not deal with it. I've made posts along those lines before, but still people insist that they "don't believe" the Theory of Evolution because their religious text says God made everything.

The thing is, this shows a lack of understanding as to what the word "Theory" means in this context... A sceintific theory is simply a collection of facts that are used to make falsifiable predictions about some occurance, mechanic, phenomenon, or set of phenomenon in nature. This means, if you think one of these predictions is wrong, you simply disprove it by conducting an experiment that introduces new facts, allowing for modification of the theory. It isn't something you simply say you do not believe. It's not a matter of believing, or disbelieving, or taking a leap of faith. A theory is a collection of facts. These are facts that have been learned through extensive experimentation and testing. To deny their truth without providing supporting experimental data is simple foolishness. It would be like me sayings that the sky isn't blue. Just because I say something factual is false, doesn't make it so. It's not a matter of belief.

There is a term that could be used to describe a belief seperated from reality and not open to modification. A delusion. An individual claiming that the sky is not blue would be described as delusional, and anyone who makes the same claims regarding the facts that make up the theory of evolution could be considered the same, unless they provide some sort of scientific support towards their claim.
      08-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
When McCain keels over during his 2nd year in office and Sarah "Soccer Mom" Palin is sworn in as Commander and Cheif ... now that will be "interesting".
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      08-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio

Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I'm sorry, but she's dreamy hot and I love older women in power. But not barf-bags like Hilary.
Seriosly, Sarah is mega sexy. It bothers me.

Still, no vote from me.

She's like that super hot teacher in high school and you couldn't wait until her class started. All of the guys would gossip about what kinds of filthy things they'd do if they had the chance.

Reminds me of the days when I had Mrs. Ryan. Damn.
Los Angeles is offline   No_Country
      08-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #12
chazzz
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Sarah is a hottie.
      08-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
ArtPE
Banned

Drives: e46 M3

more reasonable people than robots...good to see
      08-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
It's not really about creation of life. That's the kicker. The Theory of Evolution does not deal with it. I've made posts along those lines before, but still people insist that they "don't believe" the Theory of Evolution because their religious text says God made everything.

The thing is, this shows a lack of understanding as to what the word "Theory" means in this context... A sceintific theory is simply a collection of facts that are used to make falsifiable predictions about some occurance, mechanic, phenomenon, or set of phenomenon in nature. This means, if you think one of these predictions is wrong, you simply disprove it by conducting an experiment that introduces new facts, allowing for modification of the theory. It isn't something you simply say you do not believe. It's not a matter of believing, or disbelieving, or taking a leap of faith. A theory is a collection of facts. These are facts that have been learned through extensive experimentation and testing. To deny their truth without providing supporting experimental data is simple foolishness. It would be like me sayings that the sky isn't blue. Just because I say something factual is false, doesn't make it so. It's not a matter of belief.

There is a term that could be used to describe a belief seperated from reality and not open to modification. A delusion. An individual claiming that the sky is not blue would be described as delusional, and anyone who makes the same claims regarding the facts that make up the theory of evolution could be considered the same, unless they provide some sort of scientific support towards their claim.

You might be wasting your time. I posted on what is considered a scientific theory at least a dozen times but religious fundies are just that....

08-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
scientific theory at least a dozen times but religious fundies are just that....
I am far from religious but would not dismiss any concept unless truly proven. I side with evolution but only on the continuance level. To dismiss alternatives is pure ignorance though. Claiming to be open minded should be followed through with.
      08-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
e90im
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I am far from religious but would not dismiss any concept unless truly proven. I side with evolution but only on the continuance level. To dismiss alternatives is pure ignorance though. Claiming to be open minded should be followed through with.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence!!

Open-mindedness to claims without evidence is a waste of time.

Creationism is an empty claim. Evolution theory is evidence based.

08-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #17
scalbert
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence!!

Open-mindedness to claims without evidence is a waste of time.

Creationism is an empty claim. Evolution theory is evidence based.
I would agree with the continuance aspect; once life began is did evolve. The issue is with how everything began. That is where there is no hard evidence. As stated, I believe that everything is natural. But a portion of me, after personally studying astro-physics, cannot fully accept it.
      08-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #18
Robertbog
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Wow what a confused poll, we have a conservative vs the dude who wrote the patriot act and loathes net neutrality...
      08-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Robertbog
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPE View Post

"she looks stupid" one hell of an educated decision for the leader of the free world.
      08-30-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
Rips335iCoupe
Banned

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
McCain Swings For The Fences, Picking Alaska's Palin For Veep

No one knows how this presidential election will turn out. There are still thousands of miles of road to travel, dozens of speeches to be made, scores of hands to be shaken, millions of voters to be swayed.

But if John McCain should go on to win on Nov. 4, pundits might well mark Aug. 29 as the turning point. For that's the day he shocked the world by picking Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

With the 44-year-old Palin, the 72-year-old McCain showed he can think outside the Washington box, selecting one of America's least-known but most appealing young political talents.

It was a home run, an inspired choice for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is the need to drill for more oil to ensure America's future prosperity and security.

As a McCain aide said: "A maverick with a record of reform picks a maverick with a record of reform. With this pick John McCain is putting Washington on notice. There's a shake-up coming."

Palin's state, Alaska, holds a special place in modern America. With its immense wilderness and trove of natural resources, including 30 billion barrels of oil and trillions of cubic feet of natural gas, Alaska is America's last true economic frontier.

As such, McCain's selection of Palin, Alaska's youngest governor ever, is a nod to America's youthful optimism and its vigorous frontier past.

State Of Energy

As part of our ongoing energy coverage, IBD has interviewed Palin a number of times, most recently in July. We were struck by how clearly she understood her state's importance to solving America's energy crisis.

"Alaskans are frustrated because there is opposition in Congress to developing our vast amount of natural resources," she told IBD. "We want to contribute more to the rest of the United States. We want to help secure the United States and help us get off this reliance on foreign sources of energy."

Music to our ears.

It's not surprising she knows as much as she does about oil and gas. She served in 2003 and 2004 as chairwoman of Alaska's Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. Her husband, Todd, who's part Eskimo, has worked 18 years for BP.

What intrigued us was her effort to build a natural gas pipeline across Alaska against great odds. And her unabashed support for more oil drilling led us in July to call Palin, with her 84% approval rating in Alaska, a "rising star" in U.S. politics.

Little did we know.

Our lasting impression: She is serious, incredibly smart, very personable and highly competent. A great vice presidential pick.

What's truly compelling is her life story. Growing up in Wasilla, a small town outside of Anchorage, she played on a state championship girls' basketball team and was crowned runner-up in the Miss Alaska pageant.

She started her career on the Wasilla City Council in 1992 as an opponent of tax hikes. She moved on to become mayor for six years, served as one of the state's top oil officials for two years and, in 2006, won the governor's job.
The first woman governor of a state known for its pioneer spirit and macho swagger, Palin took to the job with gusto after beating incumbent Frank Murkowski in a tough primary battle.

Murkowski had made her head of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. It was supposed to be a great job for an up-and-coming political star, if she kept quiet and didn't make any waves.

Frontier Reform

She began almost immediately to expose ethical breaches in the powerful oil industry watchdog.

Later, as governor, she again stood up to Alaska's power structure over corruption.

As the Anchorage Daily News' Tom Kizzia wrote: "She took on the Republican Party chairman, Gov. Frank Murkowski's attorney general, Murkowski's daughter, Sen. Ted Stevens' son, the North Slope oil producers and finally Murkowski himself."

And remember the notorious "bridge to nowhere"? Palin killed the project.

The conservative Club for Growth called her a "genuine reformer." As governor, she has cut budgets, slashed waste, lowered taxes and gone after corruption in Alaska's government risking her own career.

If McCain needed a running mate who would shore up his ties to the GOP's conservative base and to working women, he did both by picking Palin.

For the GOP's bedrock conservatives, in particular, Palin pushes a lot of buttons and gives McCain credibility he might not have had with any other running mate.

She's a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, an ardent hunter and fisher. A mother of five, Palin called herself in 2002 as "pro-life as any candidate can be," and proved it by giving birth just last April to a Down syndrome baby. Her eldest son is in the Army, ready to deploy to Iraq.

Her husband works in Alaska's oil fields and belongs to the steelworkers' union. She knows what working families are like.

Fiscal conservatives likewise will be cheered. She has cut taxes, slashed budgets and created a reputation as one of America's most fiscally conservative governors.

Yet the instant buzz after McCain picked her was that she shouldn't be the nominee because she's been governor for just two years.

In fact, having served as a mayor and a governor, she has more executive experience than any candidate on either ticket. Her tenure in Alaska's top state office has been brief, but truly impressive.

Girl Power

To the media, it's a given that the Democrats who gave 18 million votes to Hillary Clinton during the primaries, the same as Obama were the party that would capture the vote of women across America.

Now that may not be the case.

The tough, successful yet feminine Palin will appeal to middle-class women who have eagerly awaited one of their own.

Soccer moms and suburban working women will identify with someone who's done what they've done: juggle family life with professional responsibilities.

Some have commented that Palin might not do so well against Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden, a man with decades of experience in Washington and with considerable foreign policy expertise.

But Palin is a surprisingly effective public speaker, peppering her speech with well-practiced zingers. Biden is, well, known for windiness and making gaffes.

And Biden's foreign policy expertise is questionable. Remember his plan in 2005 to partition Iraq and withdraw the troops? That would have been a disaster. And on a host of other issues from taxes and spending to defense Biden is way to the left of his party's and country's center.

Mostly, it's on energy issues that Palin distinguishes herself from the opposition. She wants to drill for America's more than 130 billion barrels of oil. She understands as her opponents don't that drilling should be America's top priority right now. It's a matter of economic and national security.

Palin is a historic pick. She's the second woman to be on a major party ticket. If elected, she would be the first to serve.

Biden once said of Barack Obama, "That's a real storybook, man."

Well, Palin's a real storybook, too.