BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GetBMWParts

08-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
I'm takin' the day off.

Drives: M

Barack Obama's Brother

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPHU07pctO0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kPHU07pctO0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
888 is offline   South Africa
      08-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
thats his Dads problem not his
      08-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
thats his Dads problem not his
I'll have to watch the youtube video when I get home, but the Obama campaign keeps saying that we are our brother's keeper. This is a true statement and I agree with it.

Perhaps Barack should bring his brother on stage at the convention and explain how he is going to help him up. Or is his campaign just words?

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      08-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie

Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
Lot better than having a Billy Carter kind of black sheep, IMO.
Tondtar is offline   Vanuatu
      08-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

YHTBFKM!!!!!

Still gonna vote against McOld.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90

Last edited by e90im; 08-27-2008 at 09:18 PM.
e90im is offline   United_States
      08-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

Is anyone actually watching the video? How about starting at 2:29 on. His half brother grew up well and is happy with his life in Kenya. I bet you Barack probably never knew about this half brother until recently. Barack's dad died when he was 21. This was 6 months after the birth of his half brother in this video. The last time Barack saw his father was in 1971 when barack was 10. I wouldn't consider this guy "family" when you never met.

Yeah, Barack's probably got more half brothers out there in Kenya that he probably doesn't know about.

I have plenty of family still in Africa that are happy to be there. That is the only life they know. If you don't know that there is something better out there then you aren't missing anything.
      08-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
Is anyone actually watching the video? How about starting at 2:29 on. His half brother grew up well and is happy with his life in Kenya. I bet you Barack probably never knew about this half brother until recently. Barack's dad died when he was 21. This was 6 months after the birth of his half brother in this video. The last time Barack saw his father was in 1971 when barack was 10. I wouldn't consider this guy "family" when you never met.

Yeah, Barack's probably got more half brothers out there in Kenya that he probably doesn't know about.

I have plenty of family still in Africa that are happy to be there. That is the only life they know. If you don't know that there is something better out there then you aren't missing anything.
The children who are helped by Compassion International and other organizations should be ignored as well because they don't know better if we just leave them alone.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      08-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Icedog_16
No Member

Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post
I bet you Barack probably never knew about this half brother until recently. Barack's dad died when he was 21. This was 6 months after the birth of his half brother in this video. The last time Barack saw his father was in 1971 when barack was 10. I wouldn't consider this guy "family" when you never met.
No, he knew of him, met him, and even mentioned him in his book 'Dreams from My Father'.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08212008...ock_125404.htm

Quote:
BARACK BROTHER IN SHACK SHOCK
LIVING IN KENYA ON $1 A MONTH AND ASHAMED TO REVEAL WHO HE IS
By ANDY SOLTIS, Post Wire Services
Posted: 3:54 am
August 21, 2008

Barack Obama's long-lost half-brother has surfaced in Kenya - living like a recluse on less than $1 a month and hiding his family ties.

George Hussein Onyango Obama, 25, said he's embarrassed to reveal his identity - because he makes his home in a 6-by-9-foot hut on the outskirts of Nairobi while his world-famous brother is hoping to move into the White House.

"If anyone says something about my surname, I say we are not related; I am ashamed," he told the Italian Vanity Fair. "No one knows who I am."

Barack Obama, 47, wrote warmly about his youngest half-brother in his autobiography, describing him as a "beautiful boy with a rounded head."

The two men - 22 years apart in age - have only met twice. Once was when George was 5. The other was during the Illinois senator's emotional tour of east Africa in 2006.

"It was very brief. We spoke for just a few minutes," George told the magazine. "It was like meeting a complete stranger."

Since Barack Obama became a celebrity, several relatives have shared in his fame, including half-brother Bernard, a Kenyan auto-parts dealer who was front-page news when he visited England last month.

But until now, almost nothing was known about George, who was born to Barack's father, Barack Sr., and his fourth wife.

Barack Sr.'s second wife was American Ann Dunham, the mother of the future senator. But the marriage failed, and after completing his studies in the United States, he returned to Kenya, where he became a senior government economist.

He fathered seven other children, the youngest being George.

Italy's Vanity Fair tracked George Obama down to the violent Kenyan town of Huruma, where he lives alone in a shack adorned with soccer posters, a calendar depicting beaches around the world, and a front-page newspaper photo of the Democratic presidential nominee-to-be.

George Obama said he has no contact with his mother, and apparently has cut himself off from the rest of the family.

"I have had to learn to live and take what I need," he said.

He said he was homeless for 10 years, including when Sen. Obama visited Nairobi two years ago. His home now, the shanty town of Huruma, is "a tough place," he said.

"I have seen two of my friends killed," he added. "I have scars from defending myself with my fists. I am good with my fists."

Other members of the extended Obama family have remained close.

Barack Obama and half-brother Malik Obama, a Kenyan accountant, were the best man at each other's weddings.

"As far as I'm concerned, we are one family," Malik said in 2004.

In Barack Obama's book, he said he was a young adult when he found out about George from his half-sister Auma. In 1988, he met George and several other relatives for the first time when he visited Africa and introduced his wife, Michelle, to the family.

"I took comfort in the fact that perhaps one day, when he was older, George might want to know who his father had been and who his brothers and sisters were," he wrote. "And if he ever came to me, I would be there for him, to tell him the story I knew."

But George Obama is living apart from his family.

"I live like a recluse. No one knows I exist," he said.
It troubles me that someone who espouses equitable redistribution of wealth doesn't practice what he preaches with his own family, especially after witnessing the squalor in which his half-brother was living. To me, that's disingenuous.
      08-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog_16 View Post
It troubles me that someone who espouses equitable redistribution of wealth doesn't practice what he preaches with his own family, especially after witnessing the squalor in which his half-brother was living. To me, that's disingenuous.
What's really troubling is that you would speak on Obama's economic policy before taking the time to familiarize yourself with it. He doesn't espouse redistribution of wealth. He's about jumpstarting the economy, providing tax relief to the middle class, trade, job creation, supporting small business, protecting home ownership, cracking down on mortgage fraud and predatory credit card practices, encouraging work/family balance.

Regarding Geroge Obama, Barack Obama's brother, he doesn't want or need his brother's help. In his own words he says:

"I was brought up well, I live well even now. The magazines exaggerated everything. I'm Kenyan so I'd really rather live in Kenya."

The CNN reporter goes on to say that George Obama supports his brother and will be routing for him in the election.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      08-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
What's really troubling is that you would speak on Obama's economic policy before taking the time to familiarize yourself with it. He doesn't espouse redistribution of wealth.
You cannot be serious. Obama's economic plan includes a number of fully refundable tax credits. That means you get the "credit" even if you did not pay the tax to begin with. A person that paid $0 in federal income tax would be entitled to thousands of dollars in tax credits. That money came from someone else. That is wealth redistribution.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      08-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
You cannot be serious. Obama's economic plan includes a number of fully refundable tax credits. That means you get the "credit" even if you did not pay the tax to begin with. A person that paid $0 in federal income tax would be entitled to thousands of dollars in tax credits. That money came from someone else. That is wealth redistribution.
You must be getting your mis-information from FOX News or some right wing blog, but you are absolutely mistaken. The tax credits Obama is proposing apply only to working class middle Americans to offset payroll taxes, which means they have payed the tax.

You and I both know that the overwhelming majority of people who pay $0 in federal income tax are wealthy people who are able to exploit tax loopholes.

Obama's actually tax plan is as follows:

Obama will cut income taxes by $1,000 for working families to offset the payroll tax they pay.

* Provide a Tax Cut for Working Families: Obama will restore fairness to the tax code and provide 150 million workers the tax relief they need. Obama will create a new "Making Work Pay" tax credit of up to $500 per person, or $1,000 per working family. The "Making Work Pay" tax credit will completely eliminate income taxes for 10 million Americans.

* Eliminate Income Taxes for Seniors Making Less than $50,000: Barack Obama will eliminate all income taxation of seniors making less than $50,000 per year. This proposal will eliminate income taxes for 7 million seniors and provide these seniors with an average savings of $1,400 each year. Under the Obama plan, 27 million American seniors will also not need to file an income tax return.

* Simplify Tax Filings for Middle Class Americans: Obama will dramatically simplify tax filings so that millions of Americans will be able to do their taxes in less than five minutes. Obama will ensure that the IRS uses the information it already gets from banks and employers to give taxpayers the option of pre-filled tax forms to verify, sign and return. Experts estimate that the Obama proposal will save Americans up to 200 million total hours of work and aggravation and up to $2 billion in tax preparer fees.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      08-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
You must be getting your mis-information from FOX News or some right wing blog, but you are absolutely mistaken. The tax credits Obama is proposing apply only to working class middle Americans to offset payroll taxes, which means they have payed the tax.

You and I both know that the overwhelming majority of people who pay $0 in federal income tax are wealthy people who are able to exploit tax loopholes.
I am getting my information from this document found at the the Obama website.
Provide a Tax Cut for Working Families: Barack Obama will restore fairness to the tax code and provide 150 million workers the tax relief they deserve. Obama will create a new “Making Work Pay” tax credit of up to $500 per person, or $1,000 per working family. This refundable income tax credit will provide direct relief to American families...

Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Barack Obama will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that....

Expand the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit: The Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit provides too little relief to families that struggle to afford child care expenses... Barack Obama will reform the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit by making it refundable...
Refundable tax credits are, a tax credit that can reduce your tax liability below zero(0). Because it is possible to receive a refund based on these types of credits, the credits are referred to as refundable.

That means you get the credit whether you paid any taxes at all. They are a redistribution of wealth.

As for your claim that the wealthiest don't pay income tax, the IRS disagrees. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/06in01etr.xls

In fact the top 1% of income earners pay almost 40% of federal income tax receipts, the bottom 50% around 3%.

Edit: Sorry, I see the chart did not make it in previously.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i

Last edited by ganeil; 08-29-2008 at 08:20 AM.
ganeil is offline   United_States
      08-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post

In fact the top 1% of income earners pay almost 40% of federal income tax receipts, the bottom 50% around 3%.
And how did this change from...lets say 1998?
WHat was the actual tax break that Bush gave me -- the middle class family?
      08-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
And how did this change from...lets say 1998?
It has actually gone up a little.

The top 1% income earners paid 39% of the income taxes; this was up from 37% in 2000.

The top 5% income earners paid 60% of the income taxes; this was up from 56% in 2000.

I believe in 2005 the richest 50% of the taxpayers paid 96.7% of all income taxes. Throughout the 1990's the percent was in the 94% range. Furthermore, the amount paid by the lower half of the income earners dropped from about 6.5% in the later 1980's to 3.3% in 2005.

I would assume everyone here makes above the $46,000 medium household income. That puts you well outside of what Obama says is the working class.

So much for the tax breaks just helping the wealthy nonsense. All data is available on the IRS website.

I am not against paying taxes. But when nearly 1/3 of my income goes to taxes and with the proposals, may go up, I take notice.
      08-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #15
scalbert
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 M3, '13 Volt, '08 Ody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
WHat was the actual tax break that Bush gave me -- the middle class family?
You are not the middle class. If your household income is in the $40k range, maybe. But I doubt that is the case.
      08-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #16
Icedog_16
No Member

Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Quote:
What's really troubling is that you would speak on Obama's economic policy before taking the time to familiarize yourself with it. He doesn't espouse redistribution of wealth. He's about jumpstarting the economy, providing tax relief to the middle class, trade, job creation, supporting small business, protecting home ownership, cracking down on mortgage fraud and predatory credit card practices, encouraging work/family balance.

Regarding Geroge Obama, Barack Obama's brother, he doesn't want or need his brother's help. In his own words he says:

"I was brought up well, I live well even now. The magazines exaggerated everything. I'm Kenyan so I'd really rather live in Kenya."

The CNN reporter goes on to say that George Obama supports his brother and will be routing for him in the election.
So, given his Marxist tendencies and when I read things like these, am I supposed to believe what his carefully-crafted website says and that he doesn't espouse equitable distribution of wealth? Or am I to believe what comes out of his mouth when it's not pre-scripted?

Quote:
Sen. Obama cited new economic forces to explain what appears like a return to an older-style big-government Democratic platform skeptical of market forces. "Globalization and technology and automation all weaken the position of workers," he said, and a strong government hand is needed to assure that wealth is distributed more equitably.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...848479237.html
When my brother and I read this we contacted the writer of the article and asked him if that was really said and this was the reply we got: "I added the part about strong hand. That was a summary of what he thought." So you tell me.

Quote:
"We've got to make sure that people who have more money help the people who have less money," Obama said. "If you had a whole pizza, and your friend had no pizza, would you give him a slice?"

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000
Regardless of whether or not his brother wants help, has Obama even offered him a slice? As for myself, I don't mind offering my brother, friend, or whomever a slice; but, I'll be damned if I'm going to be forced to give them a slice against my will.