BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

VF Engineering
View Poll Results: Who is the baby daddy?
Senator John Edwards (D) 15 78.95%
Andrew Young (a close friend of Edwards) 0 0%
it could be just about anyone 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

08-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Question Place your bets: Is he the father?

Senator John Edwards (D) who ran for President of the United States in 2008 and lost went on to endorse Barack Obama. He was also the Vice Presidential candidate for the Democrats as Senator John Kerry's running mate in 2004.

Edwards admitted he had an affair with his documentary filmmaker Rielle Hunter just before he started his run for the presidential nomination for the Democrat party.

Edwards continues to deny paternity for the child who was born to Rielle Hunter following their sexual affair. He said he would take a paternity test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC News
Democrats Move Quick to Lessen Damage of John Edwards Affair

Two-Time Presidential Contender Endorsed Obama, Has Not Ruled Out Convention Role

By RICK KLEIN and JENNIFER PARKER

Aug. 8, 2008 —

John Edwards' admission that he had an extramarital affair puts pressure on Sen. Barack Obama to quickly distance himself from the former North Carolina senator and prominent Democrats are calling on him to announce immediately that Edwards will not have any role at the Democratic National Convention.

By tradition, unsuccessful primary contenders are showcased at the convention, and Obama aides suggested before today's revelation that Edwards and other former candidates would be part of the speaking program.

Edwards indicated during his interview with ABC News' Bob Woodruff that he had not yet decided whether he would still like to be part of the convention and the Obama campaign.

But with the news breaking barely two weeks before the spotlight falls on the Democratic Party in Denver, many Democrats say Edwards must be completely sidelined for the remainder of this campaign -- if not longer.

Democrats Debate Fallout of Edwards Affair

The decision should be easy for the Illinois Democrat, said Don Fowler, a former chairman of the Democratic National Committee
"If he struggles with it, I'll think less of him," Fowler said. "I don't think it requires more than about 15 seconds of thought."

"I don't mean to make light of it or be cavalier about it, but I just think the convention, on the ticket, in the Cabinet -- all that's precluded," he added.

Fowler was among a growing chorus of Democrats who had urged Edwards to respond to the allegations of an affair -- first reported in the National Enquirer -- to clear the air before the convention.

Obama was traveling to Hawaii for a weeklong vacation at the time the story broke, and aides did not immediately respond to questions about the Edwards matter.

One Democratic official stressed the call would be Obama's alone -- but that it was difficult to imagine him wanting Edwards "anywhere near Denver" later this month.
Another blow to Democrats today -- Edwards former national finance chairman, Fred Baron, said he had made payments to Hunter in an attempt to keep her quiet about the affair, without the knowledge of Edwards.

Edwards Denounced by Campaign Staff

Former Edwards allies and associates denounced and distanced themselves from a man who has suddenly become politically toxic.

Among the most scathing reactions came from the man who led Edwards' 2008 presidential bid, characterizing his ex-boss' affair as a betrayal.

"I am disappointed and angry," said David Bonior, a former congressman from Michigan who managed Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign. "Thousands of friends and supporters of Sen. Edwards put their faith and confidence in him and he has let them down. Young supporters who put their time and energy into his campaign with a newfound energy and idealism for politics have been betrayed by his actions."
Even beyond the public denials, Edwards had vehemently denied the allegations privately to aides. Many aides repeated his denials to reporters -- not aware that they were being told to lie.

"I am profoundly disappointed and devastated," said Chris Kofinis, who was Edwards' communications director during his 2008 campaign. "We believed in him, and it's heartbreaking, and I send my thoughts and prayers to Elizabeth, the senator and his family as they deal with this personal tragedy."

Bad Behavior Damages Political Credibility

The revelation damages the Democratic Party's image at a critical time.
Edwards joins a growing list of prominent Democrats -- from Gary Hart to Bill Clinton to former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer -- in having engaged in extramarital affairs.
Democrats moved quickly to bat down suggestions that the party is plagued by sex scandals, noting that recent scandals have also embroiled Republicans.

"This is nothing endemic to being a Democrat here -- this is a human condition," Paul Begala, a former Clinton adviser, said on CNN, one of many cable channels that went with wall-to-wall coverage of the affair.

Revelation May Damage Obama Bid

While Edwards endorsed Obama late in the primary campaign, few Democrats are worried that the story will significantly affect Obama's campaign -- if he moves immediately to sever ties with the former North Carolina senator.

Republicans privately expressed glee with the revelation, pointing to what they characterized as Edwards' hypocrisy. But they don't seem inclined to make Edwards' infidelities into a broader argument about Obama, at least in the short term.
"I don't have any comment on it," Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said during a news conference while campaigning late this afternoon in Rogers, Ark.

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., who failed to get Edwards' endorsement after he ended his 2008 presidential bid, expressed few words about the news.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the Edwards family and that's all I have to say," said Clinton.

Citing Bill Clinton's regained popularity after his extramarital affair in the White House was revealed, Fowler did not rule out the possibility of a political rehabilitation by Edwards -- but said such moves will have to wait until well after this election season.
"We Americans live in what I think is a great Judeo-Christian tradition of forgiveness and forgetting. I think over time it will happen," Fowler said. "But all that's good in the image they brought to public life makes this seem reprehensible."

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
scottwww is offline   United_States
      08-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
scottwww
Brigadier General

I would lay money on it that a paternity test would prove John Edwards to be the father.

If he were not the father, then this is even more troublesome. Can you imagine Edwards having an affair with Rielle Hunter, then she got pregnant by Edward's buddy, Andrew Young?

Rielle Hunter did an interview saying something about being inspired by Edwards because he is open to trying new things. What did they all try together?

What about Elizabeth Edwards and her struggle with cancer? Did Senator John Edwards have this sexual affair because his wife, Elizabeth, wouldn't put out while she was suffering?

08-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I'll bet a lot of Dems are REAL happy right about now that he wasn't a nominee, nor a VP nom.
      08-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
scottwww
Brigadier General

Woman in Edwards Affair Will Not Allow DNA Test

link
Quote:
“Rielle will not participate in DNA testing or any other invasion of her or her daughter’s privacy now or in the future.”

Mr. Edwards emphatically denied being the father, saying that his relationship with Ms. Hunter ended long before the pregnancy that resulted in Ms. Hunter’s giving birth on Feb. 27.
“I know that it’s not possible that this child could be mine because of the timing of events,” Mr. Edwards told Bob Woodruff of ABC News on Friday, adding that he would be “happy to take a paternity test and would love to see it happen.”
In a statement he issued Friday, Mr. Edwards said that another man was “the apparent father.” Although he did not identify the man, a lawyer for Andrew A. Young, a longtime but little-known Edwards confidant, said his client was the father.
Mr. Young was described by acquaintances as an unassuming family man from North Carolina who developed a deep loyalty to Mr. Edwards over the years.
How deep was that commitment? Was it a deep enough commitment that Andrew Young would accept false blame? Was it some bizarre relationship that Andrew Young likes sloppy seconds as long as it was after Senator John Edwards?

08-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
ksfrogman
Major General

Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ksfrogman
Why should it matter if the sperm successfully reached the egg? In the first place, his thing shouldn't go where the sun don't show.
      08-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
RVExotics
Private First Class

Drives: '13 E92 328i soon

He probably is the father, and it was a very stupid thing for him to do, especially in light of the current state of political affairs (no pun intended) and his wife's condition. I'm sure he's feeling pretty badly about it, and rightly so, as his political career in SC could be over.

Funny though how you can write it up like you did as though the very thought a democrat could do something like this just makes the entire party horrible, yet how many "moral" troubles have the republicans been having lately?

He made a very bad judgment call and will reap the rewards with his political career, or lack thereof. However, Edwards' moral failing may only result in the creation of a baby, a ruined marriage, and maybe the end of his career. How far reaching have some of the moral failings of republicans been of late?
      08-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVExotics View Post
How far reaching have some of the moral failings of republicans been of late?
For example?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      08-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
RVExotics
Private First Class

• The Iraq "war" and the lies that went into it (>4000 American soldiers dead, countless friends and family members grieving, we don't even know how many civilians dead)
  • The entire Enron scandal - not office holding repubs but major repub supports - tens of thousands of people loosing major investments or their retirement funds
  • Using a litmus test to only allow conservatives to be hired in the Department of Justice - several lawyers fired when they "failed" this test
  • Televangelist and repub supporter Ted Haggard has his little oopsie with the male prostitute - countless viewers and contributors to his ministry disillusioned
...wait, maybe that one is a good thing
  • Similar to the above, minus the ministry stuff, for Sen. Larry Craig
  • The veto of the child health care bill

These are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. The point I'm trying to make is, both parties have their morality issues. In my view though, what Edwards probably did pales in comparison to what some notable repubs have done.
      08-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfrogman View Post
Why should it matter if the sperm successfully reached the egg? In the first place, his thing shouldn't go where the sun don't show.
John Adams, 2nd President and signer of the Declaration of Independence warned:
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
He also counseled:
"The peopole have a right, an indisputable, inalienable, indefeasible, divine right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge - I mean of the characther and conduct of their rulers."

08-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
RVExotics
Private First Class

Quote:
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.
So I guess we need to go with the status quo of the 1700s and assume us non-religious folk aren't covered under the US Constitution? I mean, the Constitution shouldn't be considered a living document or anything, lest we allow progress to ruin the name of stagnation.
      08-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
So I guess we need to go with the status quo of the 1700s and assume us non-religious folk aren't covered under the US Constitution? I mean, the Constitution shouldn't be considered a living document or anything, lest we allow progress to ruin the name of stagnation.
When quoting people, a lot can be left up to interpretation.

I suggest that John Adams may have meant freedom as guaranteed/protected by the U.S. Constitution assumes that the people are responsible, and try to live by Christian principles. They are self-governing with God as their leader.

The Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution are documents that work within the context of the Holy Bible.

Out of context, the Constitution has become perverted to be used by the immoral and the unjust to give them license, not liberty.

Liberty and freedom assume responsibility and uprightness.

When the people cannot be responsible in liberty and their exercise of freedom, that liberty and freedom must be reconsidered.

08-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
ganeil
Colonel

Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
  • The Iraq "war" and the lies that went into it (>4000 American soldiers dead, countless friends and family members grieving, we don't even know how many civilians dead)
Absolutely no lies went into the Iraq War. The information on Iraq's WMD stockpiles was incorrect but the existence of those stockpiles was believed by members of both parties over the course of multiple administrations.

http://www.bercasio.com/movies/dems-wmd-before-iraq.wmv

The far reaching effects of a world without Saddam Hussein and a democratic and representative government in Iraq are not yet known but what we do know is that one of the world's most brutal dictatorships can no longer slaughter its own people or threaten its neighbors anymore.

Quote:
The entire Enron scandal - not office holding repubs but major repub supports - tens of thousands of people loosing major investments or their retirement funds
ENRON supported members of both parties. Ken Lay was a regular golf partner of Bill Clinton and the only former government officials who tried to get the Bush Admin to intervene to save Enron were democrats.

Quote:
Using a litmus test to only allow conservatives to be hired in the Department of Justice - several lawyers fired when they "failed" this test
The lawyers you refer to were presidential appointees who serve at the pleasure of the president. Are you aware that Bill Clinton fired all US Attorneys upon taking office?

Quote:
Televangelist and repub supporter Ted Haggard has his little oopsie with the male prostitute - countless viewers and contributors to his ministry disillusioned
...wait, maybe that one is a good thing

Similar to the above, minus the ministry stuff, for Sen. Larry Craig
How are the far reaching effects of these actions greater than Edward's actions?

Quote:
The veto of the child health care bill
Refusing to waste government funds is a moral failing?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
ganeil is offline   United_States
      08-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #13
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
If our rights are given us by men, then men may just as readily take those rights away. If our rights are given us by God, then no man may take them away, though they may be perverted and violated by men.

08-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

He can't possibly know if he's the father or not. DNA test settles the case. Or just ask JC. Both work.
Attached Images

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      08-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
He probably is the father, and it was a very stupid thing for him to do, especially in light of the current state of political affairs (no pun intended) and his wife's condition. I'm sure he's feeling pretty badly about it, and rightly so, as his political career in SC could be over.

Funny though how you can write it up like you did as though the very thought a democrat could do something like this just makes the entire party horrible, yet how many "moral" troubles have the republicans been having lately?

He made a very bad judgment call and will reap the rewards with his political career, or lack thereof. However, Edwards' moral failing may only result in the creation of a baby, a ruined marriage, and maybe the end of his career. How far reaching have some of the moral failings of republicans been of late?
I agree with you. We're in a time when Republican scandals are common place. Even Republicans readily admit their own brand is dog do. No surprise that a scandal involving a Democtrat would be a welcome respite from the scandals that have plagued them for the last few years. I expect them to try to make as much of it and keep it going as long as possible.

What JE did was / is patently wrong. He failed himself, his family and the people he advocated for who believed in him. He will now pay the price of public humiliation and condemnation and worst of all the shame of his family. There is justice in this. When we do wrong we must pay a price.

The irony is that conservatives and Republicans in their attempt to co-opt moral and religious authority and high ground, have held themselves and everyone else up to standards not even they can attain. Their own positions don't allow for the fact that we are all humans, imperfect and flawed by nature, and sometimes we fail ourselves and others. This is precisely why Republican's moral failings seem to garner more scrutiny, attention and judgement than those involving Democrats.

What's most interesting is the delight that some here seem to take at sticking the knife in deeper on JE and twisting it around for effect. Ironically calling attention to JE's failings just amplifies their own hypocrisy.

I'm not one to quote scripture but this little passage seems appropriate somehow: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      08-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
What's most interesting is the delight that some here seem to take at sticking the knife in deeper on JE and twisting it around for effect. Ironically calling attention to JE's failings just amplifies their own hypocrisy.

I'm not one to quote scripture but this little passage seems appropriate somehow: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
People have been saying for a long time that John Edwards, John Kerry, Bill Clinton, et al are scumbags. When one gets caught, admits it because further denial only makes it worse, then apparently continues to lie about the details, it is an exposure that needs public attention. I don't think Edwards will be considered any further for VP running mate or any cabinet position.

If you have the goods on other sleazy politicians that you want to discuss, then I suggest either create a new or find an appropriate thread for the discussion.

What we need are good and decent men/women in politics. Throw the bums out of office.

BTW: In quoting scripture, it can be useful to have the context. This case of John Edwards doesn't seem to fit.

08-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #17
dr335is
Brigadier General

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post

What we need are good and decent men/women in politics. Throw the bums out of office.

1) Oxymoron
2) Yep, I am all for impeachment ASAP!
      08-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
1) Oxymoron
2) Yep, I am all for impeachment ASAP!
I don't see an oxymoron there.

I favor action on the first Tuesday in November. However, if you really can't wait, then go for impeachment. I wouldn't mind it if we also impeached a large number of congresspersons and judges.

08-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #19
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I don't think Edwards will be considered any further for VP running mate or any cabinet position.
Your political wisdom and insights are nothing short of amazing.

Here's another quote for you: "DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!"
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      08-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
scottwww
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKsBimmer View Post
Your political wisdom and insights are nothing short of amazing.

Here's another quote for you: "DUUUUHHHHHH!!!!!"
The end of John Edwards political career (if it comes to that) is all the reason needed to pursue the case. Whether it is the end for him is not a foregone conclusion. DUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!