BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Strasse Wheels

08-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: f30

So, gas prices are down 10%

Election driven? No, of course not (insert sarcasm)...

Here's an interesting little fact:

Mid-2006 increase

July 2006

Regular gasoline prices were averaging USD3.036 per U.S. gallon across the U.S. in August, 2006, slightly below the post-Katrina peak of USD 3.057. Adjusted for inflation, these U.S. prices were the highest in 25 years. The all-time U.S. inflation-adjusted record is approximately $3.20 per U.S. gallon, set in March 1981

September 2006 decreases (just before 06 election)

Oil prices began to decrease during September 2006, closing below $66/barrel on September 11. The U.S. national average gas price dropped to $2.70/gallon in early September, down 0.11 from the previous week. Some cities were seeing average prices below US$2.40/gallon.

In September, prices continued to fall, and the average cost of gasoline per gallon (U.S. nationwide) was below US$2.50. On September 19, crude oil fell $2.14 to a 6 month low of $61.66. October 3, the price closed at $58.68, its lowest close since mid-February.

On October 11, oil prices fell below $58 for the first time since February. Days later, on October 20, a barrel of crude oil closed at $56.82 per barrel.

Mid-2007 increases (after election)

The U.S. national average on May 16, 2007 was $3.09, and some parts of the West Coast were selling regular unleaded at $3.33/gallon (e.g. San Francisco and Los Angeles).

So, folks, no matter who wins in November, grab your ankles in 09.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90

Last edited by e90im; 08-10-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
it's still ridiculous. i'll only stfu about gas prices when premium becomes $1.20
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Who stands to gain the most if gas prices continue to fall leading up to the election? I suggest that Obama and the Democrats would gain the most. They lose if energy is the issue.

If McCain and some Republicans have any big issue in their favor, it is when gas prices are high, It is that they support more domestic oil production, where the Democrats do not.
"We must end the age of oil in our time." -Barack Obama
"We could save all the oil that they're talking about getting off drilling, if everybody was just inflating their tires and -- and -- and getting regular tune-ups, you can actually save just as much." -Barack Obama

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328xi

Erm, you do realize that gas prices always go up in summer then fall in fall? Right? You considered a viable economic explanation before your conspiracy theory one didn't you? Didn't you? /facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
e90im
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Erm, you do realize that gas prices always go up in summer then fall in fall? Right? You considered a viable economic explanation before your conspiracy theory one didn't you? Didn't you? /facepalm
Erm, today is august 10th. That's kind of summer time, no? And prices are fallling, right? Right.

I am well aware that politics is not the only variable driving gas prices, only 25-30%.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Erm, today is august 10th. That's kind of summer time, no? And prices are fallling, right? Right.

I am well aware that politics is not the only variable driving gas prices, only 25-30%.
I never said this fall was due to seasons, this time it's most likely because oil is wayyyyy overbought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
So, folks, no matter who wins in November, grab your ankles in 09.
Sad, but true.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: // 135i //, X5

I have to assume some of you have only been driving for a couple of years?

Gas prices have been climbing steadily each and every year. Do you remember when it broke $3, or even $2? Every summer, same thing.

Damn, I remember when it broke $1

It just seems that closing in on $5 hit a nerve. No worries, it will break $5 next summer. Be in the $6's w/in a year or two.
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I remember when regular gasoline was 28.9 cents per gallon. People freaked out at 50.9 cents per gallon. There was an actual shortage.

The lines of cars to the gas pumps were long. Many fueling stations ran out of gas with a long line of cars still waiting for their turn to fuel up.

Gasoline eventually went over $1 per gallon. The panic wasn't there because there was no shortage. Even at $4.50 per gallon there still is no shortage. What's it going to be like when there is a real shortage?

Drill. Drill. Drill. This is the answer.

Also, develop alternative energy sources. Stop turning our food into alcohol for fuel. T. Boone Pickens seems to have a decent plan. Use it as part of the solution.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
I remember when regular gasoline was 28.9 cents per gallon. People freaked out at 50.9 cents per gallon. There was an actual shortage.

The lines of cars to the gas pumps were long. Many fueling stations ran out of gas with a long line of cars still waiting for their turn to fuel up.

Gasoline eventually went over $1 per gallon. The panic wasn't there because there was no shortage. Even at $4.50 per gallon there still is no shortage. What's it going to be like when there is a real shortage?

Drill. Drill. Drill. This is the answer.

Also, develop alternative energy sources. Stop turning our food into alcohol for fuel. T. Boone Pickens seems to have a decent plan. Use it as part of the solution.

I guess according to you, Tesla was the dumb ass to discover something new -- we should have stuck to candles and fire forever...

Drill, drill, drill...and pass this crap and worries to our kids and grandkids...

Why not focus more on alternative energy sources, and possibly abandon oil as soon as we can? Why not explore more of them instead of prolonging the agony for a few more years and temporarily lower the price of oil...
Maybe that is what you're suggesting in your last paragraph?

I listened to C. Crist (FL Gov) speach yesterday where he used word "IF" numerous times -- If there is enough, if drilling is clean, if no accidents will happen, if far from coast... Obviously, those who are pushing to drill off FL coast are not sure IF it is safe and if this would be a solution or possibly help the situation...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
I guess according to you, Tesla was the dumb ass to discover something new -- we should have stuck to candles and fire forever...

Drill, drill, drill...and pass this crap and worries to our kids and grandkids...

Why not focus more on alternative energy sources, and possibly abandon oil as soon as we can? Why not explore more of them instead of prolonging the agony for a few more years and temporarily lower the price of oil...
Maybe that is what you're suggesting in your last paragraph?

I listened to C. Crist (FL Gov) speach yesterday where he used word "IF" numerous times -- If there is enough, if drilling is clean, if no accidents will happen, if far from coast... Obviously, those who are pushing to drill off FL coast are not sure IF it is safe and if this would be a solution or possibly help the situation...
Pursue every angle. This includes the most feasible which is drilling. With real effort to develop alternative energy sources, we can reduce the dependence on oil (foreign and domestic). In the meantime, we must not destroy our economy. Utilize the abundant resources we have.

Drill for oil
Build nuclear power plants
Put up wind farms
Build hydro electric dams
Tap geothermal sources
Develop deep sea turbines for the gulf stream
Grow cheat grass for alcohol production
Mine shale and coal
Build solar power arrays
Make energy consumers more efficient
...and more

Do not punish industry for using energy.
Do not punish people for using energy.
Grow the economy by dropping barriers to domestic energy production.
The market will work if government backs off from it's lust to control us.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: GTI

Quote:
Pursue every angle. This includes the most feasible which is drilling. With real effort to develop alternative energy sources, we can reduce the dependence on oil (foreign and domestic). In the meantime, we must not destroy our economy. Utilize the abundant resources we have.

Drill for oil
Build nuclear power plants
Put up wind farms
Build hydro electric dams
Tap geothermal sources
Develop deep sea turbines for the gulf stream
Grow cheat grass for alcohol production
Mine shale and coal
Build solar power arrays
Make energy consumers more efficient
...and more

Do not punish industry for using energy.
Do not punish people for using energy.
Grow the economy by dropping barriers to domestic energy production.
The market will work if government backs off from it's lust to control us.
You should run for President -- all sides would be happy (and unhappy) with your plan
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
You should run for President -- all sides would be happy (and unhappy) with your plan
That's for sure. Same would be true of many of my opinions. This is why I have never been a Democrat and can no longer subscribe to being Republican. Just call me Independent. I'm sure that the neocons would call me confused. But they are brainwashed.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Gamecock9901
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Just call me Independent.
You're an independent.
Appreciate 0