BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

INDustry distribution

08-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
Zed
Replicant

Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNTASTIE View Post
Eh I just don't think GTR is that great of an everyday car. I was deciding between GTR and m3 as well, but it was for my daily driver. so i went with the m3
Related... but I read/heard from topgear (as I'm sure others have) that each GTR is hand crafted/tuned in all sorts of ways using all kinds of interesting and custom built machinery (that is only in japan)... ways that seem to indicate that maintenance issues are going to be seriously painful (time/$) to get fixed.

Perhaps I missed something, has nissan addressed this?
Zed is offline   United_States
      08-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #24
Reedomn
Captain

Drives: 1M

The mark-ups are going away fast!! I have been watching them on ebay etc and the first few out got 100k but there are some now that are struggling to get 85k..which is less than a 10k mark-up..
watch next week...it will be getting close to MSRP...or less!!

Still digging the M3!!..with a clutch...
      08-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
Davinhci
Colonel

Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
please don't pay for markups people, MSRP like what I paid is ok.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Davinhci is offline   United_States
      08-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #26
alvinjamur
Enlisted Member

Drives: '08 M3 DCT Sedan, '07 F430

PLEASE don't get a Nissan GTR. I sat in the car at a car detailing place where I was
getting my M3 detailed. The inside of it sucks. It is NOT worth the money. While
the car is great in terms of performance etc., the inside leaves much to be desired.
I would feel cheated if I paid so much and did not get the quality I expect at such a
price...my 0.02c
alvinjamur is offline   United_States
      08-07-2008, 11:25 PM   #27
smmmurf
Colonel

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

GTR performance is much, much better. More grip, more power, faster laptimes. Those who whine about the interior looks or exterior looks are missing the point. It's a pretty focused sports car that is daily driveable but never promises to be pretty or comfortable. They are excellent performers matching F430 Scuderia's on the track and blowing away standard F430's and Gallardos... Z06s... 911TT's...

The GTR might not be "pretty" to all but it has more road presence than the M3 having seen both in person. The E92 M3 driver passing the GTR on the other side of the road had his head stuck to his glass trying to get a good look at the car... love it, hate it, it's still eye-catching and attention grabbing. And the interior is pretty functional. Very good data acquisition system and the seats are nicely bolstered. No iDrive to mess with, either.

That said, the M3 is the better "car" since it's much more comfortable and practical. Even if you wanted a GT-R you could probably not get one for less than $12-15k over MSRP.

I'd take the GTR since I already have a daily driver, if money were no issue. Daily driver? M3 for sure...

Sean
      08-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
swamp2
Lieutenant General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post

:

100k GT-R is worth it for those that want that, a GT-R...

For 70k, I'd take the GT-R over the M3 in a heart beat...but for a 100k....I can pick up a used F360...
oh and congrats on the AW M3
You do know that the E92 M3 is faster 0-100 mph and around the Nurburgring than the F360, right? Pretty amazing to have one new at a base price of mid $50k.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
      08-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #29
inmotion
Lieutenant

Drives: where do I start?

No doubt, this is a great car for the money. I found the drive in the GTR quite composed and did not lack much from an interior lux standpoint. Everything was functional and did not seem out of place. It did seem like the engineers placed much thought in where the buttons are placed. One thing I did notice is how big this car actually is. As much of a sports car it is, I thought it was unnecessary weight to have rear seats. I went out to dinner with my neighbor who owns this GTR and my wife decided to try out the rear seats. My wife's 5'8" and she literally had to tilt her head forward to avoid touching the rear glass. From a purist car's standpoint, they should have left the rear seats out since you can't seat anyone comfortably back there.....like they did with the Black Series. Overall, the car is quite an accomplishment in engineering as Ghosn guides Nissan in the right direction.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
      08-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #30
asaulo1
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mantis View Post
oh what's that white BMW SUV next to the GTR?
it's BMW's new preformance crossover
      08-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #31
e46e92love
Brigadier General

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
e46e92love is offline   United_States
      08-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #32
ArtPE
Banned

Drives: e46 M3

has anyone seen a real world time from an across the counter gtr???
they've been on sale for a month now...not one time posted...even at 'dragtimes'

the last cars before release ran 26+ 0-150, the M3 ~25 sec..

I would like to see a poll, weighted by age/car experience/cars owned and education/income level...very revealing I bet...possibly factor in profession, technical vs non-technical
      08-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #33
duk
///M

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

different cars for different purposes but dont forget the m3 also had crazy markups too in the beginning

duk is offline   United_States
      08-09-2008, 04:55 PM   #34
th3Stig
Private

Drives: 2010 GT500 Eleanor

Considering I just secured my Black/Black GTR for sticker YESTERDAY, either you all don't know how to car shop or you just make assumptions from Ebay auctions way too easily.

That being said, comparing an M3 to a GTR is the quintessential apple and oranges comparison. It makes no sense other than MSRP to compare them. If you're justifying your M3 purchase with better straight line speed, race my RS4 and that'll tell you whats up. If you're justifying your purchase for any reason other than it's an M3, you're missing the point.

Other than that, most of you except for eXcellece or a few others (sorry for the misspelling), most of you are arguing just to watch yourselves type a few words about your awesome new M3.

P.S. It's hilarious.