BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

03-01-2024, 09:19 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Reviews by Mike

REVIEWS IN THIS THREAD:
AMG GT 55 - Post 15
Lexus LC 500 - Post 10
Toyota GT Corolla - Post 8 :
Mercedes EQE SUV - Post 7
Lexus IS 500 - Post 6
BMW 1M vs CTS-V Wagon - Post 2

Hi M3post,

I’m starting a single thread to share my car reviews and test drives. (Props to DRLane for the idea.)

Who am I? I’m Mike/414bhp, a driving enthusiast with a love for sporty cars with excellent steering feedback. I owned an E90 M3 for six years, but have since moved on to a CTS-V wagon and AMG GT S coupe.

As a hobby, I’ve been blogging car reviews on Mike's Steering Column for years. But it’s lonely on the blog—I never hear back from readers—so I’ve taken to cross posting on car forums. Forums like shorter posts than blogs, so I trim down my reviews when reposting them here.

I hope you enjoy some of my writing or pictures, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on what I drove!

Best,
Mike

Last edited by 414bhp; 09-11-2024 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
DRLane4058.50
      03-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #2
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

1M vs CTS-V

Hi!

I had a chance to do a back-to-back drive with the BMW 1M and CTS-V wagon. These two cars aren't super comparable, but they do both fit the rare, stick shift, semi-precious, never depreciated, enthusiast-gold category. They also both seem to trade for about $60k.

So, which is the best? Obviously, it depends on how you want to use the car.

For my daily life, the CTS-V wagon is better. It has a much smoother ride thanks to the magnetic ride suspension, it's easier to load with people and goods, and I love ogling it in parking lots.

The 1M is also a great daily if you like the sports coupe form factor. The drivetrain is tractable in town, you can haul lots of groceries or a few people in the back seats, and while it's got a firm ride, the incredibly supportive and comfy seats keep your back happy.

In the canyons, the 1M is a little animal. It has one of the best—most grippy and responsive—front ends of any FR car I've driven. It is a true joy to huck through the corners!

There is so much steering feel and feedback, too. I love steering feel, and after driving the 1M, I can't see myself buying an M2, as I'd be foregoing that beautiful feedback.

The CTS-V wagon holds its own in the canyons thanks to its incredible shocks, feelsome steering (it's just as good as the 1M’s), and monstrous torque. Matting the throttle in the CTS-V releases an avalanche of supercharged V8 fury. The torque is everywhere and all encompassing. (Though admittedly less impressive now that EVs have made torque commonplace.) The CTS-V has surprising balance and rewarding handling, but the 4400-pound wagon feels ponderous if you drive it back-to-back with the 3300-pound 1M.

My biggest complaint with the 1M is that the N54 engine just isn't as special as the chassis. The 1M makes good use of the twin-turbo torque, but there is lag and the sound and throttle response aren't as thrilling as the S65 or even the B58. With a knockout engine, the 1M would be my perfect sports coupe.

The CTS-V’s engine isn't perfect either. It's slow revving, coarse near its 6200 rpm redline, and shamefully thirsty. But the 6.2L supercharged V8 does make the big-muscle character for the wagon.

Ultimately, the CTS-V wagon is my favorite of the pair, mostly because I want an engaging family car rather than a hair-on-fire sports coupe. Nevertheless, the day sparked my love for the 1M and I completely get the community’s infatuation with the littlest M!

Best,
Mike

(As always, the lengthy review of the two cars is on my blog.)

Last edited by 414bhp; 03-01-2024 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 09:27 PM   #3
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Reserved...
      03-21-2024, 03:58 AM   #4
BimmerMan33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

That sounds like a fair & practical review of both these cars..
I remember sitting at my BMW dealer back in 2011 ordering a 328i when the sales advisor told me that they have an allocation available for the 1M, but as I was considering moving from a 3 series to 5 series for more comfort/space, never gave it a second thought.. who knew!
The N54 engine itself is reliable but parts bolting to it just keep breaking down, I’ve had 2 N54 based 335is & both kept needing repairs. While N55 is more reliable, the N54 for has more character but still doesn’t feel special as you mentioned!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 08:21 PM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
That sounds like a fair & practical review of both these cars..
I remember sitting at my BMW dealer back in 2011 ordering a 328i when the sales advisor told me that they have an allocation available for the 1M, but as I was considering moving from a 3 series to 5 series for more comfort/space, never gave it a second thought.. who knew!
The N54 engine itself is reliable but parts bolting to it just keep breaking down, I’ve had 2 N54 based 335is & both kept needing repairs. While N55 is more reliable, the N54 for has more character but still doesn’t feel special as you mentioned!
Yeah, it took until the B58 for me to really love a non-M turbo I6 from BMW.

Crazy to think you would have saved money in the long run on the 1M over the 328i.
      04-28-2024, 03:58 PM   #6
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Lexus IS 500

Hi M3Post,

I recently had a chance to test drive the Lexus IS 500. I've been intrigued with the IS 500 ever since it was announced, since it is the latest—and last?—way to get a high-revving NA V8 in a sports sedan. The IS 500 formula is pretty close to that of the E90 M3 I owned for 6 years, so I hoped that the IS 500 would be the second coming of the E90 M3, without the BMW wallet lightening maintenance issues.

In my drive I was very impressed with the 5.0L V8. It sounds amazing, pulls with increasing vigor as the revs grow, and should undoubtedly make the IS 500 coveted by enthusiasts long into the future.

But I should have believed Lexus's marketing material and the car mag reviews: the IS 500 is not a next-gen IS F to do battle with the M3. Instead, it targets the comfort/performance balance of a BMW M340i, which is to say it blends in more comfort at the expense of raw performance.

I felt this in a few ways on my drive.

First, the throttle response is muted in all but Sport+ mode. I want this big NA mill to jump every time my right foot twitches, but its response is more relaxed. I'm guessing this is a tuning choice by Lexus, as the same V8 in the LC 500 is more razor’s edged.

By the numbers a 472 hp V8 should be torturing the rear tires at every throttle stomp, but that is just not so, as this is a high revving NA engine and the torque is thinner at low rpm. The IS 500 feels hooked up on dry pavement.

Second is the handling. The IS 500’s chassis is well controlled and its steering reacts with unhurried confidence, but the handling seems tuned for a mountain highway rather than a race track (and especially not an autocross). The steering feels is muted, which may be appropriate for a Lexus, but is disappointing for a sports sedan.

The third and final thing that kills the king sports-sedan vibes is the transmission. The 8-speed auto can feel dull and slurred, and it generally detracts from the exceptional engine. Left in automatic for a commute it would be great, but when paddle shifted with sporting intentions, it is a letdown.

Looking past my desire for a remake of the E90 M3, the IS 500 is still a beautiful, well-crafted sedan with a gem of an engine. I can see the IS 500 being a great daily driver for someone who loves amazing engines, though I'd expect them to have a more focused sports car for their weekend racing exploits.

Best,
Mike

(More thoughts on the IS 500 on my blog.)

06-09-2024, 10:15 PM   #7
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic

Hi guys and gals,

I had my first substantial taste of a Mercedes EQ product (my full review is here), specifically the EQE 350 4Matic SUV, which I found surprisingly likable. I've been looking down on the EQ lineup because the styling doesn't excite me and the reviews have been so bad, but my week with the EQE SUV turns that around.

Essentially, the EQE SUV has the comfort, practicality, ease of use, and high build quality that I want from a Mercedes and a family EV. It also does the Mercedes thing of looking bland from the outside but downright gaudy from the inside, which works well with buyers who like their luxury toys but don't want to flash them in your face.

The most dazzling aspect of the EQE is its crazy ambient cabin lighting. It has multi-color themes like Malibu Sunset, which fill the cabin with a warm glow and glint off the metal air vents.

But I was most impressed by how well the EQE SUV worked for urban family life. It does the obvious midsize SUV things—carrying children and cargo—but also is more maneuverable than our tiny Tesla Model 3 in a supermarket parking lot. The 10-degrees of rear steer really shrinks the EQE!

Although the EQE has no sporting intentions whatsoever, I did hustle it on the nearest mountain road. To my surprise, it cut through the corners competently, managing its body motions well and carrying speed through the corners.

At the end of the week my kids loved the EQE SUV so much they suggested I trade my AMG GT S for one. That will not be happening, but I would happily accept another EQE loaner the next time I'm in for service.

Best,
Mike

06-30-2024, 10:26 AM   #8
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Toyota GR Corolla Core

Well, I had a long drive in the Toyota GR Corolla Core, and I don't get the hype. I'm attributing my meh reaction to the car as a consequence of the day and road. It was a hot day on dry and bumpy roads.

Have you driven the GR Corolla? If you have, I'd truly like to hear how the car impressed you

Here is where the car lost me:

On the roads I tried, the firm suspension maintained grip well, but I felt like a bobblehead in the driver's seat. The ride was very busy!

The car had way more mechanical grip than power in hot/dry conditions. With AWD and front and rear LSDs, no matter how hard I smashed the gas on the way out of corners, the car was tidy and locked down. It didn't matter if the AWD was set to 60:40, 50:50, or 30:70 torque split, the GR Corolla was hooked up, and no tail wag was available. Undoubtedly, I was cautiously driving at 7-tenths, and the car needed 10-tenths to dance. (In a RWD car, I can drive 7-tenths through a corner and still feel the rear tires struggling if I smash the throttle after the apex.)

I'd love to try the GR Corolla on wet or snowy roads or on a track to learn its on-the-limit character.

The steering is precise but doesn't relay much information about the pavement texture or bump impacts. Good road feedback amplifies my sense of connection when driving.

I had a few more disappointments about the GR Corolla, but I'll spare you. (My full thoughts are here on my blog if you are curious.)

It was a frustrating drive because the GR Corolla is built with the motorsports homologation mindset that creates the best-driving cars, and yet I didn't connect with it at all. The engine and turbo are tuned for high-rpm running, the shifter is fluid and fun to use, the AWD system and chassis have a very neutral cornering behavior, and the brakes are stout. The car should be a home run with me, not a foul ball.

If you've driven and loved the GR Corolla, why?

Best,
Mike

07-01-2024, 05:19 PM   #9
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

I found Jason Cammisa's GR Corolla video review, and he spent about 25% of the video wishing the car could power oversteer. I feel somewhat redeemed! ​Video here.
      07-07-2024, 09:28 AM   #10
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cool Lexus LC 500

Hi all!

I got a test drive in the LC 500 convertible, and the experience was top-notch! (Full test-drive review here.)

Although the LC has been in production for seven years, the design is still unique, fresh and eye-catching. The interior is beautiful, too.

But, for me, the LC 500 is all about the 5.0L V8 engine. Being naturally aspirated, it doesn’t make the most horsepower in its class—it spins out 471 hp. However, the sounds from this engine as it races to its 7300 rpm red line are exquisite, and the way it instantly reacts to the go pedal is righteous.

Now, you can get this same motor in the IS 500 for much less money, but for whatever reason, the Lexus V8 is much better in the LC 500. In the LC 500, the throttle response is deliciously precise, and the 10-speed transmission is equally quick-witted. Making the V8 bark on paddle-shift rev matches is a joy.

The LC 500's V8 is the closest thing to a S65 V8 that I've experienced in a new car.

As a convertible, the roofless LC 500 did shimmy over bad roads. The shakes were minor but annoying enough that I’d only consider purchasing an LC 500 coupe.

Otherwise, the suspension and steering were well-tuned for luxurious grand touring. The ride comfort was good, and the steering was muted, like you’d expect from a Lexus. The car could tackle twisty back roads but perhaps is too soft for a track.

I was impressed with the LC 500 and would strongly consider it over the BMW 8-series or Mercedes-AMG SL.

Have you driven one of these beauties? What do you think of them?

Best,
Mike

08-04-2024, 08:59 AM   #11
BimmerMan33
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3, 2014 BMW X5

Really like to get an LC500 coupe, maybe a 2019 or later but these cars are still almost $70K for clean ones..

Thank you for reviewing interesting cars, definitely fun to read!
Appreciate 1
414bhp190.50
      08-06-2024, 02:04 PM   #12
scotthilly
scotthilly
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i 6MT

Mike -

Your blog posts are some of the most truthful, accurate, and well written reviews I've seen. I really appreciate the things you write and have been checking frequently!

I dm'd you on Instagram (same handle as here) at some point. I don't remember what I said, but I am often on there (and I'm sure others are too).

Keep up the great work. Let me just say -- your takes on the Model 3 vs 330i brought me such joy. I'm probably the only other person on here that had the ability to admit the model 3 is a much more athletic and fun car

Thanks man!
Appreciate 2
414bhp190.50
      08-23-2024, 07:47 PM   #13
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan33 View Post
Really like to get an LC500 coupe, maybe a 2019 or later but these cars are still almost $70K for clean ones..

Thank you for reviewing interesting cars, definitely fun to read!
Thanks, BimmerMan33! It's always nice to hear feedback, especially when it is nice!
      08-23-2024, 07:52 PM   #14
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthilly View Post
Mike -

Your blog posts are some of the most truthful, accurate, and well written reviews I've seen. I really appreciate the things you write and have been checking frequently!

I dm'd you on Instagram (same handle as here) at some point. I don't remember what I said, but I am often on there (and I'm sure others are too).

Keep up the great work. Let me just say -- your takes on the Model 3 vs 330i brought me such joy. I'm probably the only other person on here that had the ability to admit the model 3 is a much more athletic and fun car

Thanks man!
Thank you scotthilly! I'm glad you like my take on these cars. I feel like there are many valid takes on cars and how they drive. I try to focus on how the car made me feel and if it was an engaging drive, as that's what matters to me the most.

(I had a non-car friend ask me recently about the safety ratings on several cars, and I had nothing to tell him. It's just not high on my priorities unless the safety is abysmal!)
      09-11-2024, 09:45 PM   #15
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cool AMG GT 55

Well, I took a test drive of the 2024 Mercedes-AMG GT 55, and it was both a massive improvement over my 2016 AMG GT S and a big letdown.

(As always, I wrote a couple thousand words comparing the new and old AMG GTs on my blog.)

As you probably know, the new AMG GT 55's refresh added 600 lbs of luxury, technology, and performance hardware. I was afraid that all this new weight would make the car piggish in the corners, but in my test drive, I found that the new car is just as quick and just as capable in the corners as my 2016 AMG GT S.

The V8 is just as ferocious (the GT 55 I tested makes 469 hp) and even sounds better now, thanks to some augmentation via the stereo. The transmission is still on point, and the chassis has banished body roll and improved ride comfort. The car comes standard with rear steer and torque vectoring AWD. I couldn't feel these systems doing their work, but these technologies undoubtedly enabled the 4300-lb GT 55 to cut through the corners.

When it comes to comfort, the GT 55 has massage seats, seat cooling, a much more supple suspension, lane-following cruise control, and great cabin NVH. Very little road noise makes it into the cockpit, but plenty of engine noise is heard.

Also, the new GT's trunk space is astonishing. Supposedly, if you fold down the rear seats you can fit a bike in the trunk with its front wheel off. I completely believe this claim.

Those are some of the ways in which the GT 55 is a massive improvement over the old AMG GT S. And the big letdown?

The old car's raw chassis feedback, tactile steering, and mid-engined dynamics are all gone. My 2016 GT S doesn't feel that far off a Porsche Cayman for how it communicates and leaps into a corner. The new GT 55 dials back the feedback by half and returns to feeling front-engined rather than mid-engined.

So, the new GT 55 is awesome, but it has a different mission in the world than the old GT S. The new car seems built for epic road trips and mind-numbing commutes. People who love sexy sports cars with growling V8s will still be incredibly pleased. But people who want the best steering feel and chassis feedback will no longer pursue AMG GTs.

Best,
Mike